This mini FAQ has been written to help everybody who isn't sure of what to do with certain files they have downloaded from our download database.
VCM format mods are mods which have the .vcm file extension, they are made for the Vice City Mod Manager. It is a quick and easy way of installing mods in a couple of clicks.
What do I do with the .vcm file?
Well first you need to extract it from the zip/rar file you downloaded, you will need to extract it to the 'vcm' directory where you installed VCMM. By default this is C:\Program Files\vcmm\mods\vcm but if you installed it elsewhere then you will have to find that directory yourself.
Now how do I install it?
This is the easy part. Just start up VCMM and find the mod you just downloaded. It will be listed as either a 'Car' or 'General' mod. If it's a general mod then you can just double click it and it will install (or click it once and press install).
If it's a car then when you click to install it a list of vehicles will appear, you simply select which vehicle you want it installed as and your done.
TIP: If you install it over the Sabre your game will freeze upon loading up, if you want the car as your Sabre you can install it then do the following things:
1. Open up default.ide
2. Scroll down to record number 205, this is the Sabre's line, record 206 is the Sabre Turbo's
3. You will notice that the Sabre Turbo line (206) has changed to the same as the Sabre's so we will change it to make it a Sabre Turbo again.
4. The first few values of the record 206 will be something like:
206, sabre, sabre, car, SABRE1, SABRE,
5. Replace the whole line with the original line which is:
206, sabretur, sabretur, car, SABRETUR, SABRETU, null, ignore, 10, 7, 2ff0, 253, 0.7
What happens is when installing something as the Sabre it also changes the Sabre Turbo's line in default.ide so all you need to do is change it.
Hopefully those instructions were clear enough.
Manual Install Mods (GTA3 and VC):
This is the traditional way of installing modifications.
Most of the downloads come with a readme file but if they don't, here is what to do.
Vehicles for GTA3:
There will be a .dff file which is the model of the vehicle, and .txd file which is the textures or 'skin' of the vehicle, if there is just a .txd file then its just a skin for a vehicle and not a whole new car.
You will need IMGTool by Spooky or something similar to install a mod like this.
1. Open up IMGTool and open your gta3.img file usually found in C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\GTAIII\models\gta3.img
2. Find the name of the file you will be replacing e.g. cheetah.dff. Rename this to something like cheetah.dff.bak so if anything goes wrong we have a backup of the file.
3. Now we want to add the new .dff file, so click Add and find the file and add it. 4. Now for the .txd file, using IMGTool again, open up txd.img (found in the same directory as gta3.img) and find the file you want to replace, and rename it like you did with the .dff file so you have a backup.
5. Now click Add and find the .txd file you want to add and your new vehicle will be installed.
Vehicles for GTAVC:
1. Open up IMGTool and open your gta3.img file usually found in C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto Vice City\models\gta3.img
2. Find the name of the file you will be replacing e.g. cheetah.dff. Rename this to something like cheetah.dff.bak so if anything goes wrong we have a backup of the file. Also you will notice that for VC there is no txd.img file, so also find the .txd of the car you will be replacing and rename that too.
3. Click Add and add both the .dff and .txd files and the car will be installed.
Other mods for GTA3 and VC:
A similar process really, most mods come with their own readme but you will do the same sort of thing you would do to install a vehicle.
If there are .bmp images then you will need to get TXDTool (GTA3) or ViceTXD (GTAVC) depending on what game it's for, then open up the required file and replace the .bmp image with the one for the mod. You can also use TXD Workshop for editing GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas.
Some of our affiliates (view all):