Rockstar Unveils Rockstar Social Club

MishoM

RockstarSocialClub.jpg

To coincide the release of Rockstar Games’ GTA IV, they’ll also be opening up a site called Rockstar Social Club on the very same day. Rockstar Social Club will allow you to view your online statistics, have performance-based competitions, and awards all on the site. Registration begins on April 15 using your Xbox Live Gamertag or PSN ID (they’re starting registration early so we don’t all register on the day GTA IV’s released). Below are a few details:

• “LCPD Police Blotter -- A virtual map and tracker of single-player criminal activity logged in Liberty City from the aggregated data of millions of connected players - showing the most dangerous areas of town, most commonly used weapons and more.”
  • “The Story Gang -- This special single-player leaderboard recognizes players who complete Niko Bellic’s main story arc of Grand Theft Auto IV - The leaderboard ranks players according to the total amount of playing time it’s taken to complete the story, as well as a historical rank by who has completed it first. Members of this club will receive special online widgets and merit badges marking all of their in-game accomplishments.”
  • “The 100% Club -- Watch to see who will be the first to complete 100% of the game. The first ten people to be identified on the Social Club as reaching 100% will be sent an ultra-rare commemorative ‘key to the city’ to mark their accomplishment. In the future, the 100% Club will then carry a historical leaderboard showing rankings of who has completed 100% of a game in the shortest span of playing hours.”
  • “The Hall of Fame -- This area will dynamically recognize those singularly elite players who have reached the top of the hill on various statistical leaderboards, and will also contain a personal awards display of special in-game landmarks and successes in Social Club competitions.”
  • “The Liberty City Marathon -- A ranking of special physical milestones achieved in the game - from the amount of miles walked, driven, or swam - to the number of bullets fired and stunt-jumps jumped. There will be additional special marathon-based competitions in the future from this area as well.”

Special competitions, leaderboards and challenges will be given “regularly in the weeks and months following the game’s release.”

Holy shit! This is just awesome!

No seriously, this adds so much to replayability, competitiveness and whatnot will get everyone wanting to be at the top of the leaderboards, then we'll see who the best GTA players really are.

This is a great idea but i do not see why there are so many people saying that with leaderboards, we will see who the best GTA players are. ( This goes for other games that have such a leaderboard type thing ) It does not show how good of a player you are, only how much time you play the game as that is all it is. I will say this for the last time. THERE IS NO SKILL INVOLVED IN GAMES!......Still it is a nice add on to what is already an EPIC game! But please stop with the best player business...It just ruins games.....

Well I guess I'll just have to live up to my name then. This'll be fun as hell...and will probably consume most of my time.

Yes we should have internal competitions of our own to see who the best TGTAP members are, Misho and I have been talking about this and we'll probably do staff matches too. Either way this has so much potential and the amount of shit we can get up to that relates to the social club is immense. I can see GTA IV being a game that we play for years and activity won't drop as much as it does on other games, there's just so much to do.

@ The Dealer: Yeah but as long as you do it in a fun way it can be great.

This is a great idea but i do not see why there are so many people saying that with leaderboards, we will see who the best GTA players are. ( This goes for other games that have such a leaderboard type thing ) It does not show how good of a player you are, only how much time you play the game as that is all it is. I will say this for the last time. THERE IS NO SKILL INVOLVED IN GAMES!......Still it is a nice add on to what is already an EPIC game! But please stop with the best player business...It just ruins games.....

Some leader boards show how many kills you have and what not. Knowing Rockstar, they might put something on there that resemble the stats we've seen in previous games in the series. There are skills involved in playing videos games, but are extremely easy to aquire.

I totally agree with you with your last statement. Competitions are only fun if everyone enjoys them.

Well I guess I'll just have to live up to my name then. This'll be fun as hell...and will probably consume most of my time.

Yes we should have internal competitions of our own to see who the best TGTAP members are, Misho and I have been talking about this and we'll probably do staff matches too. Either way this has so much potential and the amount of shit we can get up to that relates to the social club is immense. I can see GTA IV being a game that we play for years and activity won't drop as much as it does on other games, there's just so much to do.

Well I won't be able to face you or most of the other members on here because I have a PS3.

• 3 weeks later...
Lol what do you mean get banned? And this is pretty sweet news I guess I missed it when it was announced. I don't wanna complete the storyline too fast but I have a tendency for doing that with games so I dunno. But I guess I'll see everyone online :P

I'm pretty sure the Social Club is going to also include a forum...which I'll probably get banned from.