GTA4 graphics and physics?

tilly

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Suggestions for Grand Theft Auto 4

I believe all of my suggestions are within reason, and I hope the developers at Rockstar see this post and use my ideas to the fullest of their abilities.

Graphics

1024x1024 photorealistic texture maps - MIP maps obviously take care of LOD.

1024x1024 specular maps - Only for cars, glass and other naturally reflective materials. Disable at a certain distance from the camera for LOD.

Subsurface Scattering - For use on character models. Disable at a certain distance from the camera for LOD.

Stencil shadow volumes - Allows more realistic Day/Night cycle. Clip at a certain distance for LOD.

Physics

Havok Game Dynamics - Preferred.

11 bone ragdolls - Head, Chest, Left Upper Arm, Left Forearm, Right Upper Arm, Right Forearm, Stomach, Left Thigh, Left Calf, Right Thigh, Right Calf. Make sure the joints move in a realistic manner.

Boxes, bricks, debris, shattered glass, et cetera - Take advantage of Havok physics as well.

Havok's simulation is fast, so it would be ideal for Grand Theft Auto 4.

Gameplay

Real time day and night cycle - Based on actual time, so if the player is playing at night it's night time, and if the player is playing during the day its day time.

Buildings, shops, et cetera - All important structures should be enterable at any time without loading. Shops such as Ammunation would open and close based on the real time day and night cycle.

Police and pedestrian AI - Police go after NPCs for committing crimes These encounters can escalate to the point that military force is required just like with the player. Pedestrians act realistically, interacting with each other and the environment in a natural way. Drivers will navigate around stopped cars and other obstacles when possible, and crazy drivers should accrue occasionally. All of this should use sophisticated real time AI and path finding.

Living quarters - Wherever you live you can stash all your guns and ammunition, bulletproof vests, items, et cetera. When saving, the player's character should lay down to sleep, giving reason for time to advance six hours.

Player

Aiming - Shooting from the hip allows for running, but is less accurate. Right mouse button brings the weapon up to shoulder level and the player's character looks down the sights of the weapon, increasing accuracy, but reduces speed to a walk.

Standing, kneeling and prone should be possible, supported or unsupported where applicable.

Standing = 65% Unsupported - 75% Supported :: Firing = -10%/s Accuracy, +15%/s Recoil : Walking = x1.25 Recoil : Running = x1.5 Recoil, x2 Accuracy reduction

Kneeling = 80% Unsupported - 90% Supported :: Firing = -5%/s Accuracy, +10%/s Recoil

Prone = 95% Unsupported - 100% Supported :: Firing = -1%/s Accuracy, +1%/s Recoil

Customization - None please, I believe character customization is an invite to logical inconsistencies.

Edited by Bryant66

dude ther should be a 25 joint euphoria so that the fingers are moved apart. or else itl lok wierd. and there should be 3 joints in the stomache-torso. there should be way better than 1024x1024 specmaps and skins. and full reatction with models + textures that are 3d. and that aiming is cool but i dont like the hip aim. id rather have a one hand and two hand for light weapons (one handed can allow you to run around, and 2 hands lets you strafe, 2 handed is limp and looking down the sight) and there should be everything customizable but your character.

Hopefully the graphics will be similar to those of Rockstars table tennis, but this may be hard to achieve as GTA games have many peds cars bulidings and we really dont want a slow framerate do we?

It's really simple to disable those kinds of effects at a certain distance from the camera.

Hopefully the graphics will be similar to those of Rockstars table tennis, but this may be hard to achieve as GTA games have many peds cars bulidings and we really dont want a slow framerate do we?

That's just the point I wanted to mention. GTA has dynamic gameplay and lots of objects on the screen at a time. And the more objects on the screen, the more power is required to run the game at optimal framerate (25 - 30fps). And I believe that everybody would like to play GTA4 on their comp without the need to spend 1000$ on a new processor, RAM, and graphics card(s). GTA has never had high system requirements, and I don't think that will change. GTA will probably stay avaliable to most of the people, for their low/medium spec PC's instead of becoming a game that's gonna be playable only on NASA's super computers. And we wouldn't actually want that, wouldn't we?

I think that all of you need to go back to reality and decide between fluid gameplay and no loading screens (like GTA always was), or having a game that will take 10 minutes to load on hi-spec PC's every 100 meters (like in Postal 2). Nobody of us will decide about that, but still, think sometimes about it. :)

dude do we realy need gta4 on computer. maybe there could be a gta4 sequel that has less graphics. but if we have WAYY better than the table tennis graphics for everything and everyone, there will be plenty of power and memory and ram and all that stuff on ps3. ps3 will be like a supercomputer.

and ps3 will have REALLY fast loading time, R* are using a new loading system to make it alot faster and so is sony, to make it alot faster, and there will be a faster load capability to make it triple fast.

Edited by tilly

nice bump stupid. please dont bump topics its reallly annoying. but i think you sed that because we dont need it on computer. well we really dont, there could be an expansion pack with different citys (like VC to GTA3) but less graphics and newer technology that they discovered after making gta4.

The ellipsis signified my astonishment towards your statement.

The PS3 isn't even out yet, and by the time it is, we'll have computers easily capable of rendering the same effects at the same speeds. Consoles will never relegate personal computers to obsolescence, the PS3 already supposedly costs a fortune, not as much as a high end gaming machine but it's still up there.

Not releasing the game for the PC would be a terrible mistake on Rockstar's part.

Edited by Bryant66

Just one thing for you tilly. Perhaps now you think that PS3 is the most powerful console, and that it's like a supercomputer, but believe me, PC's will always pwn gaming consoles hard because of the reason they're not limited to what's inside the box and can alwas be upgraded. That means that when PS3 comes out, it might be more powerful than an average PC, but by the time GTA4 comes out, lots of new technologies and components for PC will be out. That means that at that time you'll probably buy hi speed DDR2 memory and have up to 8 gigs of RAM, multi core CPU (with 4 cores, 4Ghz each), and assuming that Nvidia's quad SLI (combining 4 graphics cards) will go further, and Nvidia has already made multi GPU cards, you'll be able to hold up to 8 hi end graphics cards on one motherboard.

I might be too optimistic, but there are already PC's with 4 gigs of RAM, quad SLI, and multi core CPU's. And this will become a standard after more than a year or whenever GTA4 comes out for PC, imo.

And how's gonna PS3 compete with that?

The PS3s GPU/s are supposedly as powerful as two 6800GT in SLi. Considering the fact that the 6800GT is a videocard from 2004, and the latest nVidia card is a 7950GX2 which you can use 4 of in SLi... yeah, the PS3 wouldn't be on top for long.

Edited by Bryant66

• 2 weeks later...
hope it come out for the ps2 also

or be able to trade a ps2 for a ps3 fror free

triple dam

Neither of those will happen. The PS2 is CURRENTLY LESS than $150...... The PS3 will be what, $500? The actual trade in value for a used PS2 is probably less than $100 right now. Even LESS once the PS3 is released((not only because that's over a year away, but because once it comes out the value of the PS2 will drop)). After the PS3 comes out, I wouldn't expect to recieve anything more than 30-40 dollars for a working PS2... You know how many you'd have to trade in for a PS3? Ha....