• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Gerard

Gerard

Underboss

• Administrators
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

What goes in their offices every other iteration? Do they get cocky and carried away?

You're not far wrong. The main problem is "design by committee". And I don't mean ten Microsoft guys in a room, I mean the ideas and designs being passed back-and-forth between loads of different hardware and software companies. It's just a mish-mash of needs and wants, and the quality and purpose gets lost in the jargon and marketing-speak like "Feature PCs" (things like powerful tablets).

It's all driven by statistics. It's fine getting loads of numbers, but you need to know which numbers to pay attention to. They probably saw that 80% of people now use touchscreen phones with no physical keyboards, so that MUST obviously mean that 80% of people would buy a touchscreen-only PC, even when that isn't what works best for desktop apps or productive working. I would ALWAYS choose to use my computer over a tablet/phone to type something up, use a complex program or to be able to multi-task, that was the main benefit of having a PC, but they forgot that over the buzz of shiny simple touch-friendly apps.

And as for the fact that half of it's missing and there's a very inconsistent half-metro half-desktop UI, well that's just down to the project planning and design forcing a release as soon as apps work and it's secure enough, rather than working hard to make a properly good interface.

I am most definitely NOT a fanboy, but I really can't imagine Apple releasing anything as bad as Win8. Except maps.

Grand Theft Wiki Manager

And not a single fuck was given that day.

#22 BlackListedB

BlackListedB

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

I found even though I had Windows 8 actively online, I couldn't get a working connection though it told me it found the router as before, so at the moment, maybe I'm not being charged a fee because it's unable to update for a few weeks or so??
I have been unable to commit to Windows 8 due to other money concerns, and I think Windows 9 would be the most logical traditional upgrade from Windows 7, so until I hear more about Windows 9, I'd make sure you don't ditch Vista or Win7 for the new 8, that's a BAD IDEA!
Anyway, there was some mention of a major Win8 update at the time I was surfing, not sure when that was.
As far as an app that I use, still works with adding the WINDOWS GLOBE Start button, it's ViStart! I believe, it was software designed to add the VISTA Start menu to Windows XP, and so far no update from Microsoft has nixed the install I did, it puts up a rather bland Pop up START menu, so you maybe able to tweak it some, but I found another drawback is you cannot DRAG items from it to your desktop, though Windows' normal START dialog screen does allow that. It also provokes an error message when you shut down, but the normal Windows XP, Vista, 7 option for turning your PC off or even hibernating it work as before.

It's also FREE, so jump on it!

http://lee-soft.com/...s-8-start-menu/

@Gerard, I've seen more then a few tech magazines Stateside offer cover stories on how to make Windows 8 work for you, even Max PC opted to give Win 8 it's regular gaming PC trials and tests, and I think you'd find them less then forgiving if it came up shy with the best PC hardware!

One thing I read says don't write off METRO as it stands, as it comes to you by default, do some customizing under the hood of this Windows as well as others, they say it can work more like you wish with some of that done, but they don't make it simple or easy, so a guide is probably a dang good idea!

Edited by BlackListedB, 09 January 2013 - 11:17 AM.

#23 Gerard

Gerard

Underboss

• Administrators
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

@Gerard, I've seen more then a few tech magazines Stateside offer cover stories on how to make Windows 8 work for you, even Max PC opted to give Win 8 it's regular gaming PC trials and tests, and I think you'd find them less then forgiving if it came up shy with the best PC hardware!

I used Start8 which adds a fully-functional Win7 start menu to Win8. Absolute necessity, and makes it bearable, but I really don't think that's the point. A tiny proportion of people will bother (or be able) to install those fixes, and the rest of the world (including pretty much ALL businesses) have to do without, using the default install. If that's no good, then the OS is going to be horrible for them all to use, and it should be better than it is.

One thing I read says don't write off METRO as it stands, as it comes to you by default, do some customizing under the hood of this Windows as well as others, they say it can work more like you wish with some of that done, but they don't make it simple or easy, so a guide is probably a dang good idea!

Metro is good, but the fact remains that the Win8 UI is inadequate. Without touch, it's hopeless, and whilst Start8 goes a long way to fixing that, it's still wrong. I use a Windows Phone, which is awesome (apart from the lack of apps). Metro works well on WP8, on a touch device, although it's still not perfect.

The individual elements of the UI are great, but the selection and application of them is not. Metro is a great touch interface - but the choice of a touch interface for both touch and non-touch computers, with no adequate consideration given to keyboard/mouse users, is a fatal flaw.

Grand Theft Wiki Manager

And not a single fuck was given that day.

#24 BlackListedB

BlackListedB

Executioner

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

I will say for those not able to tweak, for business use or for novices, get some help from your local IT guy! They should have the ability, or as well, wait for Windows 9, Win8 is not the mainstay Windows upgrade from Windows 7, they just will promote as they always do the latest, greatest, seems Vista didn't get that treatment
though.

As I mentioned a few times, and this year will bear it out, the portable processors are dwarfed by your PC's engine and hardware, to which normal Windows is accustomed to running on, and will see Win8 move toward that end after the initial RT ARM roll out (as I read it)

Edited by BlackListedB, 10 January 2013 - 06:32 PM.

#25 TrialByFire

TrialByFire

Executioner

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

I will say for those not able to tweak, for business use or for novices, get some help from your local IT guy! They should have the ability, or as well, wait for Windows 9, Win8 is not the mainstay Windows upgrade from Windows 7, they just will promote as they always do the latest, greatest, seems Vista didn't get that treatment
though.

As I mentioned a few times, and this year will bear it out, the portable processors are dwarfed by your PC's engine and hardware, to which normal Windows is accustomed to running on, and will see Win8 move toward that end after the initial RT ARM roll out (as I read it)

The point is though, you would expect the the operating system to not require you to download and install fixes to make it usable, especially not at Microsofts prices. If a feature of the OS is unusable or difficult to use owing to a flaw in the UI design then the OS is a failure

I have no problem with people believing what they want, until they think it's right to try and change what I believe.

I'm so happy, I could shit a rainbow!

#26 BlackListedB

BlackListedB

Executioner

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:06 AM

You have to download Windows Live Essentials just as you have to download and select Security Essentials for some time now, but it's worth it ultimately... was reading that adding Media Center on top of Windows 8 as it stands, supercedes the COA of the OS, so you can basically get it for FREE, so I'd say, stop complaining! My Windows 8 Preview version STILL works, and I made my ISO copy for both 32 bit and 64bit, so I can't complain too much, it's still the RT edition as I keep mentioning, RT is intended for portable devices more then mainstream PC machines including older x86 laptops, however, they are supporting the more endowed version of Win8 on non-Surface Windows portables, The Pro version we should specify, however, I had read something about a further Windows 8 offered this year versus last, I'm not sure the complete story, but we'll certainly see what this year brings
http://www.extremete...-windows-rt-arm
but I believe the waiting now will be worth it down the road when you get this!.....

http://www.techspot....ce-gt-650m.html

Edited by BlackListedB, 12 January 2013 - 06:13 AM.

#27 TrialByFire

TrialByFire

Executioner

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

Do you no feel though that you are sort of doing part of Microsoft's job for them? I mean if you are happy with it then great, tha'ts all that counts at the end of the day what I was saying was I would feel a bit cheated if I had spent that much money on an OS that I then had bug fix... Personally I don't think I will be rushing out to get win8 anytime soon maybe if they release a service pack that makes it more user friendly on a desktop then I will consider upgrading.

I have no problem with people believing what they want, until they think it's right to try and change what I believe.

I'm so happy, I could shit a rainbow!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users