77 replies to this topic

#61 Nate10

Nate10

Underboss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,958 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:07 AM

I've been thinking the same as Jace - internet culture is changing. I seem to always like the idea of this forum getting active again though.

edit: sending out an email seems worthy of trying in my opinion.

Edited by Nate10, 07 October 2012 - 01:09 AM.

#62 Mike356

Mike356

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:35 AM

But even with sending a email how many people still use the same email associated with their accounts
Posted Image

#63 Nate10

Nate10

Underboss

• Members
  • 3,958 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:35 AM

Mike I think that will probably be why the Staff don't see the mass email being the trick that will give this site it's second wind, but why not. It's worth a shot.

#64 Bustago

Bustago

Pure Gangster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

How many people were active (ie posting regularly) in the gtaplace hey-day?
I always felt like it was tens of thousands, but now if I think about it now there may have only been only a few hundred.

Can someone buy me a new guitar?
Please?
I'll be your best friend!?

#65 Gerard

Gerard

Underboss

• Administrators
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:38 PM

How many people were active (ie posting regularly) in the gtaplace hey-day?
I always felt like it was tens of thousands, but now if I think about it now there may have only been only a few hundred.

Interesting question. I've had a look through the stats:

There have been odd days when we've had over 1,000 posts, in our heyday it was about 100-300 a day. In July 2007 we had 15,000 posts in one week!

The number of users registered isn't a good indicator, because that will include spammers and those that never post. To make that point, some of the highest numbers of registrations we've ever had have been in the past few weeks.

And the most members ever online in one day was 231 - but there are 59 on right now!

So yeah, it seems that only a couple of hundred users (at most) did the bulk of the posting here, but of course they couldn't have done that without the tens of thousands of less-frequent members that popped in occasionally or just a few times. Their questions, answers and discussions kept this forum going for the rest of us.

Grand Theft Wiki Manager

And not a single fuck was given that day.

#66 Gerard

Gerard

Underboss

• Administrators
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

Double post. So ban me.

It has all long come and is probably here to stay. I seriously doubt if forums will ever be as important as they used to be. It's had it's heyday, I'm afraid.. A forum requires an investment. People obviously aren't willing to do that anymore. Blogging is 'old', microblogging is what most people do. Same goes for forums I suppose.

I think you hit the nail on the head really. Most people aren't willing to contribute huge walls of text or even get involved in big discussions. These days, the limit of most online users' involvement is a comment, or even just a Like. Thats all people need to do now to feel that they got their point across and have engaged, and this means they can now engage on anything anywhere, not just spending their life in on community about one topic.

Although, there are exceptions. My wiki has a lesser-known companion called GTA Answers. Here, people ask questions and (occasionally) others answer them. We have done ZERO promotion of this website, ever, and yet there have been 50,000 questions asked on there. It's not that much different to a forum, except that it's quick and easy and there's no real community around it at all, yet it's weirdly popular.

Grand Theft Wiki Manager

And not a single fuck was given that day.

#67 BlackListedB

BlackListedB

Executioner

• Members
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

My best guess is that people come check out forums and Rockstar's links if they don't get Twitter or Facebook, just to keep an eye out on new info, I know I do, anywho.
I get emails from other forums just as reminders, that's a tactic that can anger people though.... For our site we played discussing the idea of giving away a PS3 to some lucky NEW member, no one on staff, obviously, We discussed radio or TV ads to trump other GTA fan sites in that regard, or t shirts and mugs, hats, anything, even bumper stickers!!! HELL YEAH

#68 SlickVic

SlickVic

Scam Artist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:25 PM

Maybe we should take part in older GTA related things. Possibly star up SA-MP gangs, IV gang, etc. It appears they worked years prior to the dry spell. I'm trying to be around. How 'bout contests? Or videos? Or something more...I don't know, enticing. A re-design, something cool, flashy...spruce things up. Oh, and maybe people who forgot about the site would benefit from a mass e-mail being spread out. Worth a shot.

Edited by SlickVic, 07 October 2012 - 11:41 PM.

giphy.gif

#69 Chris

Chris

Limbal Rings

• Administrators
  • 10,958 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:43 PM

Yeah I think sending out an email to 50000 people isn't really a good idea. Most people won't bother to read it, some will see it as spam. Probably end up doing more harm than good.

What Jace said is right. Forums in general are way less popular than they used to be. Internet culture has changed a lot in the past few years. I used to be active on quite a few forums years ago that were relevant to my interests at the time. Now, TGTAP is the only one I still visit (obviously) and actually care about. If I care enough to comment on something else that interests me I'll take it to Twitter and/or Facebook where I know I have friends who will comment or be interested in it themselves. I wouldn't even think to look for a forum to join on whatever subject it was about.

BlackListedB, we (and other GTA sites) have experimented with the idea of branded merchandise and apparel but too few people are interested in buying and using/wearing stuff to make it worthwhile, so no one really bothered with it. I think these days it would be even worse actually. People expect that kinda stuff to be given out for free since it so regularly is by internet companies, that's not really something we can afford to do.

SlickVic, first of all, we and other sites know from experience that re-designs never really do much to increase activity unless you bring in a load of new features to the site at the same time. The GTA related stuff you mentioned would be cool but it's a bit of a catch-22 because we would need enough members here in the first place to get it going so that other users would see it, and think to themselves that it's cool or whatever and wanna join in. When you do that kinda thing with just a few members, anyone observing is unlikely to be interested. Having said that, if you or anyone is genuinely interested in getting a 'gang' together to play those games then by all means go for it, there's nothing stopping you. If it's something that does begin to show signs of getting popular we can try and promote it around other parts of the forum so more members see it, or even on the main site as well.

Contests and stuff are always good. In fact we will be holding a competition for members to win a copy of GTA V. We're planning to start it when the release date is announced though so we can organise it within a specific time frame. Our intentions are to have a couple of winners from our Facebook and Twitter pages in addition to one (or maybe more, depending on my budget at the time) from the forums. If anyone has any ideas on what exactly the contest should be then let us know.

We know that activity is going to increase whenever more GTA V information and media comes forth, that's pretty much a given. The challenge is making the members want to stay even when interest dies down.
With the crews feature that will be in GTA V and presumably (and hopefully) massively improved multiplayer modes, I think we can definitely make the forums a place for crews to organise themselves and when they are gonna play together online, since the Social Club doesn't really have a way for people to adequately plan and discuss what they want to do.
This could also lead to an increased interest in legacy titles like SAMP and MTA with players who don't buy GTA V immediately. So we'll see how that goes.

#70 SlickVic

SlickVic

Scam Artist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:58 PM

I'm here in the dry period of the forum. I am basically speaking out of my ass here, as I haven't ever led a forum as substantial as this before - and it is true that people are more occupied with social networking. However, I do have to disagree with you on one point. I don't really think a mass e-mail will cause harm at all. Most people just gloss over things they don't care about, therefore the people who click it probably are interested. It would also help people who previously joined the site remember the URL and visit more. I don't think it'll cause 'harm', even if it has a chance of being ineffective.

giphy.gif

#71 BlackListedB

BlackListedB

Executioner

• Members
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:46 PM

Well, how about print ads in game magazines? hahaha

For me, Gangs and online MP aren't a moving force for forum participation. Many people I wanted to contact offered up no PSN or XBL tags on said forum for their online exploits. I really have no idea why people are active there versus here, but from my friend Trip, he feels GTAF quality IS slipping and that echoes people I talked to who felt not just the lack of GTA conversation but clashes with staff and picking on members of the forum tends to do, alienate everyone from participation, if not leading to temp bans or perm bans

What I feel is being as good natured and welcoming is you possibly can, being a part of it, but also trying to relate on what people can agree on, rather then pick apart what makes everyone different. And we all are in some regard, so what's the point of making issues from that?

I had the most problem with disagreeable people in that regard, they always find something to complain about and not look for agreeing points

I actually don't reply to topics of little interest to me, some were saying I posted just for ego or for some post count record, complete bull. The fact most of us post is to have our voice and opinion matter, we're the consumers paying for the end product, Our views do play a part in the whole.

For the idea of T shirts or bumper stickers, it would have been a small test batch, and not a major investment, but I actually didn't suggest a TV ad for our site, but our Webmaster Mike did, I thought it an novel idea, but very costly I'm sure

Nothing beats word of mouth and being dedicated and fervent on doing it that way, keep that end up for sure! Rockstar and we, our own site, have a YouTube channel, that works great for passersby

Edited by BlackListedB, 08 October 2012 - 08:09 PM.

#72 Spider-Vice

Spider-Vice

Pest Control

• Members
  • 7,019 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

Mass-emailing; I don't think that would work, as Mike said probably most people have different email addresses and sending an email to 50k members would be very resource tasking on the server, with a very unlikely chance of success. Reorganising could be a good idea, but we'd have to let everyone know somehow, and, as said, internet culture is changing and forums aren't what they used to be. GTAForums is bigger because it was one of the first, and it always had a lot of activity, don't take me wrong on this though, not trying to compare anything.
Reviving the multiplayer scene would be a good idea, problem is, hackers would probably come back and ruin the party, and there still would have to be some form of contact in-between missing members to let them know. Contests are definitely a good idea, Facebook and Twitter spreads are always good to let people know. Maybe we should use Twitter/Facebook more often to report news and let people know? I'm clueless, though, most posts already got the idea :P

Posted Image

#73 BlackListedB

BlackListedB

Executioner

• Members
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

I don't mind getting b-day emails from the forums I joined, once a year, and perhaps any significant GTA news update, deserves a heads-up, me thinks

#74 Spaz The Great

Spaz The Great

Numba' one in the hood, G!

• Elite Members
  • 9,926 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:31 AM

The problem I see with attempting to get our name back out there, is it's always such a slow process that the new members come and see pretty much an inactive forum, not really making them want to stay.... So unless we get activity, we can't really get activity. As such, my idea is to get activity and then maybe that will get activity?

What I'm saying is, we've locked the key inside the box, so we gotta unlock the box before we can unlock the box.

Posted Image

There is no "freedom of speech" in forums, yes you can say what you want but in the end what the mods say gos. This is not a democracy.

lolz

#75 EvoLuTioN

EvoLuTioN

Call me Evo ...

• Members
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

Gentlemen!

Reality - An illusion caused by Alcohol Deficiency

Posted Image
xfire|Steam ID : evolutionevoz

#76 Dmac

Dmac

Made Man

• Members
  • 862 posts
  • Australia 

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:11 AM

Yeah as others have said I think everyone is busy these days. I joined in 2006 (wow :o) and in those days I was going to school. I left school in 2008 and now work. I still visit from time to time though. I miss what the forum once was.

PXhBw.png

www.dmac.pw

#77 Falenone

Falenone

Vandal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Estonia 

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:11 PM

I like that forum because of it's software it use. IPBoard is nice looking n' stuff compared to some other fan sites. Too bad it is so quiet here.

#78 BlackListedB

BlackListedB

Executioner

• Members
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

Prize give-away to celebrate 10 years upcoming next month? The GTAP birthday smash!?

To what Spaz is saying, it's the whole of the problem we've had, people don't want to commit to legions of forums, another sad truth of it, they see that GTAF just has constant posts, no matter what the state of the World, and it nearly boggles the mind, as such, it also is a natural By-product that there's trolls and spam there in an unavoidable amount. That's the main thing we're GLAD to be divorced of, believe me!!

Edited by BlackListedB, 13 October 2012 - 08:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users