7 replies to this topic

#1 Deji

Deji

OG Joke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 05:17 AM

Umm... Firefox doesn't like horizontal scrollbars on divs, does it? Well... I can't figure out how to get a horizontal scrollbar to work on a div... I mean, I can get it to show up. And I can make the vert one fuck off... But Firefox doesn't use the horz one. It does absolutely nothing.

GRRR. Is "overflow-x" deprecated? I'm really tired, btw... It's 5:17AM and I'm hacking away at my myspace profile :P

#2 rockstarrem

rockstarrem

#SocialMediaPresence

• Super Mods
  • 4,246 posts
  • United States 

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:04 AM

wut?

Can you use another element than a div? Not really sure if div's are made for scrollbars and shit.

Posted Image

#3 Deji

Deji

OG Joke

• Members
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:45 PM

http://www.w3schools...trycss_overflow

Div's are the "it" for everything. A table is an alternate method for creating... Tables. But not layout stuff (although most web designers take the lazy route :P)

In Firefox, if you add overflow-x:scroll, it just acts as if you'd typed overflow:scroll and shows both bars. I think it works in IE, though.

#4 _Ray

_Ray

Executioner

• Members
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 02:39 PM

http://www.w3schools...trycss_overflow

Div's are the "it" for everything. A table is an alternate method for creating... Tables. But not layout stuff (although most web designers take the lazy route :P)

In Firefox, if you add overflow-x:scroll, it just acts as if you'd typed overflow:scroll and shows both bars. I think it works in IE, though.

Send it to the developers at Mozilla, it could be fixed in 3.6.
Posted Image

#5 Chris

Chris

Limbal Rings

• Administrators
  • 10,931 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 03:26 PM

Why the hell would you WANT horizontal scroll? It's one of the most annoying things you can do for a web user. Avoid it at all costs.

You must have a pretty decent reason to justify the use of it, and I'd like to hear it.

#6 Deji

Deji

OG Joke

• Members
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:55 PM

It's having to scroll left to view the end of a text because of wide pages that people mainly hate... I want a horizontal scroll in a div, not the whole page. The reason being that the section I want to make scrollable is not very wide vertically. Also, due to it being images I'm adding in a kinda, it would be nicer to do it in this way. It's not as if they'd be scrolling back and forth to read text..

It's just a scroll with little thumbnail links.

EDIT: The newest versions of IExplorer mess it up too... God I remember when times were simpler :P

Edited by Deji, 13 December 2009 - 01:04 PM.

#7 Chris

Chris

Limbal Rings

• Administrators
  • 10,931 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:50 PM

It's still completely unnecessary.

#8 _Ray

_Ray

Executioner

• Members