#41 Urbanoutlaw

Urbanoutlaw

Rouge Element

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,956 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:41 AM

Whadd'up homey peoples?!?!

Been busy the last few days w/ a couple other projects & helping the landlord on some of his stuff (he's cool so it's no
prob). In the mean time I've got some more pics I got while I was letting paint dry on that fender. Here's our old pal
the voltage regulator!

The original powder coating was pretty rough & the part wasn't prepped right so some of it peeled off w/ just my
thumbnail. The rest was stuck pretty hard. Note the pieces I peeled off in the foreground.
Posted Image

The sandblaster just wasn't doing it, the plastic coat absorbed most of the force so I decided on plan "B". My field
expedient bench grinder in action.
Posted Image

That's more like it, the wire brush made short work. Watch your hands, it'll make short work of them also.
Posted Image

The anodized finish on the base wasn't quite what I wanted so I masked it for painting too.
Posted Image

The satin silver looked just right...
Posted Image

... but the Ford engine blue didn't. I'll fix that in a minute but first I have some other work. The holes for attaching
the wiring were worn so I drilled them to the next size up & tapped for (you guessed it) Allenheads.
Posted Image

I picked up a small tap & die set, including the #8 (cover screws) & #10 (wiring) sizes for the new hardware.
Posted Image

The finished part just didn't look quite right so I decided to go w/ a darker blue than this.
Posted Image

Just something to show the comparison between the 2 colors, see the finished part in the last pic in previous post.
Posted Image

I'm starting to mess w/ the fuel tanks & have some other stuff I'll post as I go.

UO out.

Posted Image

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back, it's meant to be.

If not, point & laugh when it flies into a woodchipper.

#42 Ivan

Ivan

Too far to get home.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:11 PM

Haha, for some reason, those pics of your tools and all that really reminded me of Dexter.
Posted Image

Thanks to Greensabre.

#43 Huckleberry Pie

Huckleberry Pie

"There's always something,"

• Members
  • 2,976 posts
  • Philippines 

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:23 PM

Nice one UO, my dad likes it. Oh, and by the way, do you know how much a 1978-80 model Electra Glide (a Shovel, of course) costs there?

Posted Image

Ubisoft should take a look at this...
"We love Him because He first loved us." - 1 John 4:9-10

#44 Urbanoutlaw

Urbanoutlaw

Rouge Element

• Members
  • 4,956 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:30 PM

Anywhere from $3k (basket case) on up, depends on what you want. I've seen decent ones around $11-20k at the
dealers.

I'll have more later, painting the frame & hardware today.

Posted Image

#45 Urbanoutlaw

Urbanoutlaw

Rouge Element

• Members
  • 4,956 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:00 AM

DidjamissmeI'm BAAAACK!!!

The guy I got the bike from said this was my electrical system.....
Posted Image

Next I pull the sprocket cover to get at the chain. There's no master link, so the chain has to be removed the hard way.
Posted Image

I pull the brake strut & loosen the adjusters (1 each side).
Posted Image

Next is the axle nut. I seem to be missing some hardware, I'll fix that shortly.
Posted Image

Leave the nut on a couple turns & gently tap w/ a mallet (wood or plastic) to pop the axle loose, then remove the nut
& pull the axle out from the other side.
Posted Image

The rear mount for the fuel tanks is handy for lifting the whole bike to get access to the underside.
Posted Image

The other end of the chain is looped under the handlebars & .....
Posted Image

...UP, UP & AWAY! (I love that engine hoist.)
Posted Image

Wow, extra greasy. I go ahead & remove the line from the oil pump & clip the wire from the points to the coil.
Posted Image

These 2 bolts (& the other 2 on the opposite side) held the original rear frame. The hardtail conversion was welded
properly so I'm ditching the bolts. No, that's not a sports drink. It's my industrial degreaser.
Posted Image

Through the magic of photography we skip over the spraying to this point. the underside & most of the rest is
now a nice Royal Blue.
Posted Image

When I'm doing the spine I see an issue, a bad chop. The spine was pieced together from 3 sections. At least
it's straight lengthwise. BTW, Obama Motors has acquired a motorcycle company & is pleased to introduce the
Paperhead.
Posted Image

Anyway, back to painting. I get the spots on top that weren't open while the bike was hanging.
Posted Image

The front motor mount is up next. It was rusty & greasy ( :weird: ).
Posted Image

A quick dip in the parts washer...
Posted Image

... followed buy some sanding...
Posted Image

.... & ready to paint.
Posted Image

There's a clearance issue so I swap out the original nuts for flange nuts.
Posted Image

The mounts attached to the engine. The other bolts are the ones that mount the forward controls.
Posted Image

I had a little overspray, no big ...
Posted Image

... I also have the cure.
Posted Image

One control is painted (the shifter I rebuilt) & one is chrome. One control rod is chrome & one is black, both
look like fubar. Time for more paint.
Posted Image

The shifter came out better than I expected so the brake will get the same treatment. I remove the foot & toe pegs.
Posted Image

The rods were sanded & painted to match the frame, now everything's drying.
Posted Image

The controls, break transfer & battery box reinstalled. they came out nice.
Posted Image

Since the white I used is engine paint, I'm thinking of painting the cylinders & heads the same (currently faded
black). The rocker boxes (worn chrome will probably be satin silver). Eventually I'll strip the bike down & fix all
the little problems w/ the frame, going for show quality, but for now it'll get me on the road & look decent.

I'll be back later w/ more pics of the rear wheel & axle.

Edited by Urbanoutlaw, 20 August 2009 - 04:06 AM.

Posted Image

#46 Urbanoutlaw

Urbanoutlaw

Rouge Element

• Members
  • 4,956 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:30 AM

BTW- The Allenhead sockets pictured above are tools I've had for longer than most of you've been alive,
about 25 years.

The pic is blurry but it gives you an idea of how the clutch cable hangs out.
Posted Image

I pull the "C" clip holding the clutch handle to the perch. I also loosen the clutch adjustment for slack.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now the cable hangs loose & I can mount it down.
Posted Image

Quick & easy, hose clamps will hold the cable out of harm's way.
Posted Image

Done w/ that part, gets it done.
Posted Image

It never fails. Closer examination of the perch shows it's....FUBAR!!! The part is made of pot metal & has
2 steel bolts busted off in it. Tough pot metal.
Posted Image

Local parts shop had the same exact part for $25 (for the whole assembly), one of the few actual parts I'll
need to buy for the project.
Posted Image

While I'm at, I picked up more...you guessed it, Allenheads. Enough for both sides (4 each)so they match.
Posted Image

Finished effect.
Posted Image

Tune in next time to learn how to make a thermal nuclear device from duct tape & 3 paper clips.

Posted Image

#47 Urbanoutlaw

Urbanoutlaw

Rouge Element

• Members
  • 4,956 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:12 AM

Suddenly there's a paperclip shortage...

While paint was drying earlier I handled some other things. I need something to keep the rear break in one
place when I use it & the hardware is missing, Here's an exploded view of what's supposed to be there.
Posted Image

Outlaw Engineering to the rescue. The yellow line represents the part I'll make.
Posted Image

A quickie blueprint of what I want to make.
Posted Image

Note the flat steel bar next to the fender.
Posted Image

I want a rounded end so I use a washer as a template.
Posted Image

The white paint makes it easier to see the marks from my Sharpie.
Posted Image

The guy who owns the building is pretty cool about using his stuff, like the drill press (I use it more
than he does).
Posted Image

Same for the little bench grinder.
Posted Image

All dressed up & ready to go.
Posted Image

I set the flat in place & mark it for length.
Posted Image

The 3/8 bolt I use for the other half needs ground down, represented by the red line.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ready for the next step.
Posted Image

A 3/8 nut welded to the end of the bolt will serve as an upper mount & adjustment away from frame.
Posted Image

The flat is bent in 2 places to gain clearance from the frame & chain. Any vice works nicely for good results.
Posted Image

My little grinder is still holding in there, quick & easy to cut the flat.
Posted Image

I welded a left over barrel nut from the shifter to tie it all together & allow adjustment for length.
Posted Image

All that's left is a quick stop at my high dollar painting facility....
Posted Image

....& PRESTO! The finished part in place. The tab is threaded for the top bolt
& there's a jamb nut between the tab & the head of the bolt to lock it down.
Posted Image

I'll have more later this week.

Edited by Urbanoutlaw, 27 August 2009 - 04:16 AM.

Posted Image

#48 Urbanoutlaw

Urbanoutlaw

Rouge Element

• Members
  • 4,956 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 06:39 AM

Next part, the rod that connects the hub to the brake pedal.

I picked up some 1/4" rod stock for this, placed it so I can mark & cut to length.
Posted Image
Posted Image

The only Vise I have right now is on the drill press, but it works.
Posted Image

A stop at the grinder...
Posted Image

...& it's ready for threading
Posted Image

Originally I welded a nut to the end to attach to the transfer rod.
Posted Image

I want plenty of adjustment so I measure 1 1/2 inches to thread.
Posted Image

My toolbox makes a handy fixture to hold the rod for threading.
Posted Image

One more step finished.
Posted Image

I decided the original plan may or may not be strong enough so I remove the nut & put a bolt on the
end. This should allow for a stronger weld.
Posted Image

Once welded & dressed w/ the grinder I clean up the threads.
Posted Image

This part gets Satin Silver.
Posted Image

Finished & installed.
Posted Image

This just in: Micheal Jackson is valiantly maintaining his fight to remain dead. More on this as it develops.

Posted Image

#49 Husky

Husky

Executioner

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:44 PM

Wen you first started this topic, i thought your bike was going to look like the Zombie. Nice bike though, it reminds me of the Hexer or the Angel. But how cime you used old parts? I mean the tyre's, and the chain. The rest looks vicious, but the tyre... No offense was used in this post.

Wen you first started this topic, i thought your bike was going to look like the Zombie. Nice bike though, it reminds me of the Hexer or the Angel. But how come you used old parts? I mean the tyre's, and the chain. The rest looks vicious, but the tyre... No offense was used in this post.

Posted Image

#50 MrLlamaLlama

MrLlamaLlama

Graphic Designer.

• Super Mods
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 02:00 PM

Until you go out and ride it, they tyre's aren't really that important, and can probably just be jet washed off to get dirt / dust out of the grooves. Chances are if he cleaned them up now, they gather up dust and paint and metal shavings in the shop anyway, back to square one.

Just a guess, but he might replace the chain if he decides to buy a new rear sprocket, but the cost might be a bit steep for a sprocket to fit this bike, so... ¯\(°_o)/¯.

Posted Image

CoolerMaster HAFX Tower Case | XFX 850w Black Edition PSU | Asus CrossHair IV Formula Motherboard | AMD Phenom II x6 3.4 @ 3.7 Ghz + ThermalTake Frio HS/F | 8Gb Corsair Dominator GT | Nvidia/EVGA GTX470 1280Mb | 64GB Crucial RealSSD (os) | 2x 1TbSamsung Spinpoint F1

Need a quick GTA Fact Fix? - Grand Theft Wiki it!

#51 Urbanoutlaw

Urbanoutlaw

Rouge Element

• Members
  • 4,956 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:53 AM

Fair point, Husky & no offense taken. The tire's okay for now & will get cleaned before this
bike hits the road. Eventually I'm looking at going w/ 150/18s on both ends (currently a 140/16
in back & a skinny 19 up front) but that's going to cost bucks. For now I've set a goal of $2500
to get it up & running (a road worthy Sporty is usually around $7000). This is working w/ what I
have for now. As for the chain I'm considering using a later model belt drive, they're quieter &
last longer. If I do keep the chain I'll probably swap to a newer setup that uses the sprocket as
the rotor for the rear brakes.

The forks will have to be swapped out for a wider front end when I change the wheels & that's also
pricey. Ironically by the time I get this to look like the Zombie the left over parts will go a
long way to building a Hexer. I've heard rumors of a basket case Panhead for $2000....

More pics-

Like the shifter, the brake is at the wrong angle to use comfortably & lacks sufficient adjustment.
Posted Image

The simple answer is to cut the part down. It's made from 1/2 inch steel rod, I'll use the 1/4 to
make the joint stronger.
Posted Image

The short piece of 1/4 is all I'll need. The 1/2 is cut down to length. The drill bit is a 3/16 I'll
use for a pilot hole in the ends of the 1/2.
Posted Image

The 3/16 bit is titanium & much stronger than the 1/4 bit I'll use for the final holes. I had to
play around w/ the vise a little to get the holes properly aligned.
Posted Image

This should give you a better idea of what I'm after. The weld will fill the gap & make a solid joint.
Posted Image

I used some left over flat & set everything up on my magnets, now it'll be straight.
Posted Image

It never fails. It's midnight & I'm making good progress until...
Posted Image

IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTE!!! Circled is the valve on the bottle. Take care when handling not to break
this off, @ around 4500 PSI this is a compressed air rocket. When I was in high school, the metal shop
had recent repairs to cinder block walls from an incident like that. The bottle punched through 4 walls
& wiped out a bank of gym lockers.
Posted Image

It's the next day & we're back in business. One of these days I'll pick up a spare bottle (about $135).
Posted Image

I'm getting pretty good w/ the welder considering it's been 6-7 years since I've used it.
Posted Image

A little grinding, sanding & some paint & now you can't even tell where it was chopped. (Now the brake
will work right, also.)
Posted Image

I'll be back w/ more later.

Edited by Urbanoutlaw, 02 September 2009 - 06:54 AM.

Posted Image

#52 Urbanoutlaw

Urbanoutlaw

Rouge Element

• Members
  • 4,956 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:40 AM

Busy last couple weeks, moved t a new shop.

Gave up half my floorspace but not have better heat, running water & a working bathroom foe $100 a month
+ electric. This would normally cost around $500 so I'm not complaining. I'll have more pics up soon.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users