IGN.com review GTA IV

MishoM

IGN.com has today posted their review of the much anticipated next game in the series, GTA IV. IGN has given the game a 10/10, giving it 10s in every single category. Here’s their breakdown:

• 10 - Presentation - The story is Oscar quality. The use of the phone as a gaming portal is genius. There’s really nothing more that could be asked for from GTA IV.
  • 10 - Graphics - The level of detail is astounding. Liberty City feels alive and lived in. While there are some technical issues, the artistic merits push the score to the max. A true marvel.
  • 10 - Sound - The dialogue makes the story. Without the excellent writing and the stellar voice acting, the story would fail. And the soundtrack kills -- more than 200 songs and almost all are great choices.
  • 10 - Gameplay - The cover and targeting system work great. Blind firing with an RPG is a thing of beauty. Everything works in harmony and not a single one of the missions is bad. The most fun I’ve had in years.
  • 10 - Lasting Appeal - The story will take anywhere from 25-45 hours to complete, depending on your skill level and attention span. There’s plenty more to do once you finish the story, such as excellent multiplayer.
  • 10 - OVERALL 10/10, Masterful

This makes the game one of IGN’s highest scored games, as they rarely hand out the perfect review. You can read the review here. Or, watch their video review below:

Also, be sure to check out Chris’s post on his visit to NY to play GTA IV early!

O. M. F. G. I don't know what I'm going to be missing. Climbing from San Andreas, drive-bys from San Andreas and Vice City Stories, the city looks beautiful, the gun sounds are awesome, it's even got that GTA2 style HUD and it doesn't even look to spoil the game a bit.

Rockstar must be proud that the game they worked out for more or less 5 years worked out better or as they expected.

*Runs off to see more gameplay videos*

You know it kinda looks like a 3rd person Rainbow Six Vegas..With the cover system and all..

Niko runs a lot more naturally now, I wonder how he jumps.

You can't compare Rainbow Six with GTA IV :P

But the cover system does remind me of Rainbow Six, but GTA IV is way much better. I bet Niko can't jump as high as CJ could.

You know it kinda looks like a 3rd person Rainbow Six Vegas..With the cover system and all..

But the cover system does remind me of Rainbow Six, but GTA IV is way much better. I bet Niko can't jump as high as CJ could.

Nah, I'm not comparing the two, I'm just saying that the cover system in IV is very similar to R6V because you can blind fire, take cover behind almost everything and jump over objects.

Nah, I'm not comparing the two, I'm just saying that the cover system in IV is very similar to R6V because you can blind fire, take cover behind almost everything and jump over objects.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It looks a bit to much like it.

Back on topic: The video is just great, as said before, finally a gameplay video we can watch :)

I wanted to wait till I had the game to see the actual game play, but this is just to juicy! I keep watching, and I probably will till it is actually in my possession. I was made a very happy guy today. It looks perfect. I laughed my ass off when Niko and that chick started banging in his car. Finally it feels like the game is within reach!

Edited by fatalgamer

Yeah, like when he left his apartment I was expecting a load screen to show up, but it didn't. Niko could actually just walk right into the street. But even though we didn't find a bug or a glitch there is, no one can make a game without bugs or glithces.

Yeah, like when he left his apartment I was expecting a load screen to show up, but it didn't. Niko could actually just walk right into the street. But even though we didn't find a bug or a glitch there is, no one can make a game without bugs or glithces.

Yeah, that's why they make sequels, of course!

A rockstar representative did say that you basically play from start to finish without load screens, so that's a huge improvement not only to GTA, but to gaming all together. Many of you probably remember the older games, half the time you would see this very familiar text "LOADING, PLEASE WAIT" or something simliar :P With IV, this will be a thing of the past!

Also, this applies to Midnight Club Los Angeles, another game created by Rockstar which also uses the RAGE.