Canada

Sherman

I've had a little thought in my head for the past little while, it's nothing super serious yet, but I do want to discuss it. Is there anyone here that has an education and lives in Canada? I've done little to no research, but I want to start looking into Canada as a living place. Before I do anything, I'd just like to hear some voices/opinions over how well the country/territories are doing overall. Y'know, wouldn't want to try a different country and go through the hassles if it is not much better off than where I'm from.

tl;dr: Canadians, opinion of your country.

Well I've lived in Canada for 11 years now and it's been quite a pleasant experience. Moved here in 2000 from Kazakhstan and lived in Toronto for 5 years and then in Vancouver for 6 (now I'm back in Toronto for university). Overall, it's a pretty diverse country and ranges in demographics all over the place. From my experience I like Vancouver better mainly for the differences in the weather (milder summers and winters + 'fresher' air) and the difference in geography (beautiful mountains where you can ski/snowboard, beaches that you can actually swim in, etc). But then again I only experienced Toronto until I was 12 so my opinion could change in a couple years. Anything specific you want to know? I don't really know where to start. And I'm 18 now and in my first year of university so I'm just starting to get a feel for the job availability here and starting to pay closer attention to politics.

Well I've lived in Canada for 11 years now and it's been quite a pleasant experience. Moved here in 2000 from Kazakhstan and lived in Toronto for 5 years and then in Vancouver for 6 (now I'm back in Toronto for university). Overall, it's a pretty diverse country and ranges in demographics all over the place. From my experience I like Vancouver better mainly for the differences in the weather (milder summers and winters + 'fresher' air) and the difference in geography (beautiful mountains where you can ski/snowboard, beaches that you can actually swim in, etc). But then again I only experienced Toronto until I was 12 so my opinion could change in a couple years. Anything specific you want to know? I don't really know where to start. And I'm 18 now and in my first year of university so I'm just starting to get a feel for the job availability here and starting to pay closer attention to politics.

Vancouver sounds awesome, but it is all the way on the west side of the country, which I guess I actually don't mind that much, Oregon was/is a thought anyhow. How does Toronto compare as far as the climate? I really need to research for myself :P Are there any other larger cities other than those?

Never lived there but have visited, it's a fantastic country, very friendly and has the feeling that only commonwealth realms share, hard to explain.

I feel like that's the general view on Canada, very friendly, accepting people. Of course there will be the idiots, as anywhere, but not so much of the bigot/racist type

Nice to see you're thinking the same thing I am, Shermz. I don't see much hope for this country, and it's looking a lot easier to just flee than try to fix the mess we're in.

This thread is relevant to my interests.

Exactly how I feel. I just want to not have any problems with citizenship (dual if we can) and jobs. Both which are my biggest concern, since we both are going to school. Mostly her, though, I'm sure there are plenty of diesel powered trucks. She's going to be a teacher.. so she'll have no clue about Canadian history :/ Which could be a set back.

Vancouver sounds awesome, but it is all the way on the west side of the country, which I guess I actually don't mind that much, Oregon was/is a thought anyhow. How does Toronto compare as far as the climate? I really need to research for myself :P Are there any other larger cities other than those?

Around Toronto has decent weather I suppose, Only about 2 hour drive there for me, haven't really lived anywhere else in Canada so I couldn't say. As for large cities, You have Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, London and lots more. Population size, Toronto is the biggest. I personally like small towns because you have much more scenery but with the economy the way it is now. Finding a good job around here isn't easy.

I feel like that's the general view on Canada, very friendly, accepting people. Of course there will be the idiots, as anywhere, but not so much of the bigot/racist type

Yeah, you could say we are a very friendly, accepting people. But like most of the world, that changes when the Federal elections start lol :P

Yeah Toronto has really hot and dry summers and usually snow filled and cold winters (although winter hasn't really come this year yet). Compared to Vancouver where the summers are pretty mild in comparison but still beach weather, and during the winters it rarely snows (if you remember the 2011 Winter Olympics). And much like Seattle, it rains A LOT, mainly during the fall though. Toronto is definitely the largest and most industrial city in Canada. I think the Greater Toronto Area (GTA :P ) swallows the Greater Vancouver Area like 3-5 times.

As for the "very friendly, accepting people" that generally holds true. But like everyone has been saying, there are still a bunch of fuckheads here and there. Canadian history could take a while to learn but it might be a bit easier than the U.S. history since our country is only 144 years old.

Around Toronto has decent weather I suppose, Only about 2 hour drive there for me, haven't really lived anywhere else in Canada so I couldn't say. As for large cities, You have Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, London and lots more. Population size, Toronto is the biggest. I personally like small towns because you have much more scenery but with the economy the way it is now. Finding a good job around here isn't easy.

I wouldn't mind living outside of a city, just not 2 hours away :P I agree though, I think there is much more scenery.. but I like the conveniences of a large city. Plus it feels like there is more work to be had in a city. More people going after the job.. but more, lol.

Yeah Toronto has really hot and dry summers and usually snow filled and cold winters (although winter hasn't really come this year yet). Compared to Vancouver where the summers are pretty mild in comparison but still beach weather, and during the winters it rarely snows (if you remember the 2011 Winter Olympics). And much like Seattle, it rains A LOT, mainly during the fall though. Toronto is definitely the largest and most industrial city in Canada. I think the Greater Toronto Area (GTA :P ) swallows the Greater Vancouver Area like 3-5 times.

As for the "very friendly, accepting people" that generally holds true. But like everyone has been saying, there are still a bunch of fuckheads here and there. Canadian history could take a while to learn but it might be a bit easier than the U.S. history since our country is only 144 years old.

I don't mind the hot, dry summers but damn do I hate snow :P Plus that means there is more salt on the road.. not everyone takes care of their car = Huge pita when it comes to repairs/suspension work. I miss the rain, lol. Idk if I said it, but we were looking into a suburb of Portland, Oregon and I know it rains a shit ton there as well. In the desert.. well, there is a reason its called that. And holy shit, that's big. Makes Vancouver seem like a small town I bet!

How much is gasoline/diesel per liter in you guys' places? And are there a lot of big rigs?

• 3 weeks later...

My mate's got a work visa to work in Canada for a year. He's leaving in June and going to Calgary first but I think he plan's on going quite a few place's all over Canada.

He said when his visa run's out in Canada he's going to cross the border into the U.S and get a visa to work there for a year... I'm secretly hoping they wont let him into the U.S so he come's home heh