Fun with Bluetooth

Chris

This topic is for those of you who use the bluetooth feature on your mobile/cell phones.

Bluetooth as you know is a wireless technology, enabling you to use handsfree devices and such, as well as allowing you to transfer files to other bluetooth enabled phones/devices, as I'm sure many of you do at school/college whatever.

This topic is basically so we can have a laugh at your amusing stories regarding bluetooth that have happened to you.

Here's mine:

------------------------------------------

Last week, during Business Studies, I wanted to send a friend of mine a picture I had taken. There was another class right next door to us, and my phone found about 5 phone names we didn't recognise, a couple of unknowns, some girls with names like xX steph baby Xx etc. etc...

Anyway... on your phone you probably have a feature called 'Notes' or something similar, so you can write little text notes for yourself, well you may not have known you can actually send notes via bluetooth, so it's like a free text message. My bluetooth name is "The Pope". I named it unusually so that people would be curious and send me stuff :P

This actually seemed to work, I sent a note saying "Hello from the Pope". I then got a reply saying "Ur hot!x". Then a couple of minutes later my friend received a picture of a girl who was in that class, she had ginger hair and wasn't really that attractive tbh... couple of seconds later I myself received a picture...

dsc00109wgc_th.jpg

Now, I never even saw anyone who looked like her in their class at the end of lesson, I don't even recall seeing her around school, so it must have been some dude's girlfriend or something! (ok so she's not amazingly hot but... I wouldn't say no ;) )

Call me sad and whatnot, but I thought it was pretty funny, especially as my mate got such a crappy picture in comparison to my significantly better one. We've been trying to do the same sort of thing the past few days, sadly to no avail :P

Unfortunately I seem to have bricked my bluetooth mode now after I installed some bluejacking app on my phone, now I can only receive stuff and not send anything, which sucks.

So yeah that was a fun day in terms of randomness. Anyone else had some amusing experiences?

Nothing very amusing, I got my new laptop which had Bluetooth support at the end of the year, so I only got to use it a few times at school (I use my laptop at school in case anyone was wondering) an picked up a few peoples phone. Some sent me music, but that was about it. Didn't get to use it long, because mobiles aren't allowed at our school so having one means you gotta be careful. I was thinking of playing some pranks and having peoples phones ring and such to get them in trouble, didn't get time though. Hopefully this year I will get time to do so :P .

Might not exactly be about bluetooth but along the same lines.

One of my brothers friends is really good with computers. He bought his laptop to school and using a small program he had written was able to NETSEND a message across the entire network. This is not able to be done otherwise (as a few people did and they found ways to stop it). The best part was because he was from his laptop using his own program he was able to say that it came from one of the desktop computers in the room (name would be like C15-12).

One of the computer technicians was there a few minutes later asking who was at this particular computer. The teacher announced that it had been off all lesson, the tech looks confused and left the room. He's also sent messages from 'Administrator' to others telling them to delete their files and such.

Also, using software from his PDA he was able to make it act as a remote and changed the channel of the TV whilst watching a movie, as well as consistently pausing it and rewinding etc.

Might not exactly be about bluetooth but along the same lines.

One of my brothers friends is really good with computers. He bought his laptop to school and using a small program he had written was able to NETSEND a message across the entire network. This is not able to be done otherwise (as a few people did and they found ways to stop it). The best part was because he was from his laptop using his own program he was able to say that it came from one of the desktop computers in the room (name would be like C15-12).

One of the computer technicians was there a few minutes later asking who was at this particular computer. The teacher announced that it had been off all lesson, the tech looks confused and left the room. He's also sent messages from 'Administrator' to others telling them to delete their files and such.

Also, using software from his PDA he was able to make it act as a remote and changed the channel of the TV whilst watching a movie, as well as consistently pausing it and rewinding etc.

I have to try that.

Could we turn this into bluetooth/infrared/wifi/otherwireless pranks?

One of the homebrew applications made for the PSP was the remote control for the PS2. Well, seeing as the Slimline PS2 comes with a built-in infrared port, and those were the models being used at Walmart, I decided to go and have a little fun. Someone was playing a racing game, I can't remember which, but it had car customization. I ended up turning his car pink by clicking random buttons. Then, after I let him fix his car and start a race, I started hitting the e-brake and reversing the car. I was pausing the game, turning the steering wheel, exiting the race, ETC.

THEN, I got bored of it and turned off the PS2..... ALL from my PSP...... I also was showing a few people and like 2-3 of us were getting amusement out of watching confused/frustrated people try to play PS2.

@Chalk: Yeah people kept on netsend'ing messages last year at my school, was pretty funny when it first happened but no one does anymore.

One of my friends found a security flaw in that we are able to access the Search feature in Windows XP which happens to contain the Address Book for MS Outlook, which of course contains all the staff and pupil school email addresses. So we were able to send emails appearing from admin to anyone in the school.

Tried getting some more stuff sent to my phone today. xtinax tried to send me a picture but the transfer failed, then later on some random girl who I actually heard say to her friend "omg look at this someone is called The Pope". She tried sending me a photo named "ur_naked.jpg" - no idea what it actually was because I accidentally pressed cancel instead of accept :P

But yeah maybe I'll have more interesting pics to show you in the next few days.