Your Religion / Beliefs

Chris

"The" means god (greek). The|ism is belief in god, a|the|ism is not believing in god. Simple.

Paganism is a pretty old religion (not a cult) where they worship the earth and things like that. Some see pagans as being a bit weird because they believe in spirits etc.

Do pagans worship earth and stuff? Didnt know it. But earth and spirits could be some sort of god too.

Stone Henge was a pagan monument. I dont know if anyone has heard of Sea Henge, it was a tree that was urned upside down so the roots were sticking out of the ground and it was in the sand. Now as it was by the sea an din the and it was gonna get destroyed pretty quickly. Now archeaologists had trouble with excavating this thing out so thye could keep it but pagans wanted it to stay where it was. the archeologists won as if they had left it then it would have been destroyed in days. the pagans believaed that it should have stayed where it was and that it was used for burial.

From what I have read so far, Its very apparent that peoples beliefs vary greatly, thats no suprise. Even since the beggining of recorded history it has been like that.

I myself am not religious whatsoever, I am more spiritual. I remember when I was growing up I was somewhat religious, that is until eventually I was able to form my own thoughts and opinions.

I believe that if one chooses to grasp a certain belief and live by it, thats just fine, I mean , if what they are doing makes them live happily, why not continue doing it ?

Some may say " but those people are living in ignorance ", think about it, what makes your belief any more significant than anyone elses?

I have a question for the religions that revolve around the concept of satan and hell.

They say that God is extremely kind and merciful, whos love extends to the very ends of the universe, and that he is all knowing.

So if God can see your beggining and end like a script, why would he even place those people that are going to hell on earth anyways?, he is practicaly placing people on earth so that they can go to hell. What kind of loving God is that?

I have a question for the religions that revolve around the concept of satan and hell.

They say that God is extremely kind and merciful, whos love extends to the very ends of the universe, and that he is all knowing.

So if God can see your beggining and end like a script, why would he even place those people that are going to hell on earth anyways?, he is practicaly placing people on earth so that they can go to hell. What kind of loving God is that?

"Abandon all hope yee who enter here" - "Those who enter cross over willingly"

Christianity teaches that you will not go to Hell as long as you don't think you will. God will forgive any sin as long as you ask for forgiveness and mean it. If you do not ask, or give up hope, then you will go to hell. God only punishes those who lose faith in Him.

So if you believe you will go to hell you will. God gives you free will to make your own decisions. That is the kind of loving God He is. He makes you forge your own path.

Christianity teaches that you will not go to Hell as long as you don't think you will. God will forgive any sin as long as you ask for forgiveness and mean it. If you do not ask, or give up hope, then you will go to hell. God only punishes those who lose faith in Him.

So if you believe you will go to hell you will. God gives you free will to make your own decisions. That is the kind of loving God He is. He makes you forge your own path.

Well you see, that doesnt really make sense. If your future is already written out in "Gods book", that means that "free will" is just an illusion, and that no matter what you do, you are condemned.

So no matter what you do, you would have already had a reservation for hell when you were born, and there is no changing it...thats what it written in "Gods book".

I just dont get how God says that all of of humanity has "free will".

These paradoxes are mainly the reasons why I left religion alone.

From what I have read so far, Its very apparent that peoples beliefs vary greatly, thats no suprise. Even since the beggining of recorded history it has been like that.

I myself am not religious whatsoever, I am more spiritual. I remember when I was growing up I was somewhat religious, that is until eventually I was able to form my own thoughts and opinions.

I believe that if one chooses to grasp a certain belief and live by it, thats just fine, I mean , if what they are doing makes them live happily, why not continue doing it ?

Some may say " but those people are living in ignorance ", think about it, what makes your belief any more significant than anyone elses?

God gives you live and let's you choose how you live it in my eyes.

In Islam, most people will go to hell. But there's something about it. Hell is not eternal in Islam. Depending on how many sins you've commited in your life, you may go to hell for anywhere between five minutes or five million years. But there's a gurantee that you will ascend to heaven, sooner or later. Hell, if you were a true saint, you could bypass hell altogether. That's what I heard.

Well you see, that doesnt really make sense. If your future is already written out in "Gods book", that means that "free will" is just an illusion, and that no matter what you do, you are condemned.

So no matter what you do, you would have already had a reservation for hell when you were born, and there is no changing it...thats what it written in "Gods book".

I just dont get how God says that all of of humanity has "free will".

These paradoxes are mainly the reasons why I left religion alone.

1. I didn't mention any book.

2. How are you already condemned? If you say God forgive me as you are dying then you are forgiven for anything hell worthy.

3. How do we not have Free will? It is your own free will that allows you to question religion is it not? How is it an illusion? If you aren't sorry for anything bad you have done God will punish you however he sees fit.

4. Where in the Bible does it say you have a space written in hell for you? Have you even read the Bible?

I don't have a problem with your questions but half of what you say makes no sense to me. It's like you read me say free will and jumped to a lot of conclusions.

It's just that in the bible it does refer to God's book, and that our lives are planned and God knows what is going to happen. If that is true, then surely we cannot change that, hence there being no free will. If there IS total free will, then surely that indicates a lack of control...?

"I know that I am the first to argue that we are all God's creations and that our lives are planned in advance, but why would he give a life only to take it away." - a christian

read this

It's just that in the bible it does refer to God's book, and that our lives are planned and God knows what is going to happen. If that is true, then surely we cannot change that, hence there being no free will. If there IS total free will, then surely that indicates a lack of control...?

"I know that I am the first to argue that we are all God's creations and that our lives are planned in advance, but why would he give a life only to take it away." - a christian

read this

Gerard, you took those words right out of my mouth!...besides the quote

But in regards to Draftermatts question, yes, I have read the Bible..and completely.

This is the way I see the Christian Bible, I see a book that has no real significance, only to the person who chooses to comprehend it...just like everything else on this earth.

I have actually known a few people in my life that dont read the Bible for any religious or spiritual reasons, but rather for a guideline instead. For the most part, they agree that the Bible has an enormous amount of inconsistencies, but that doesnt stop them from extracting very useful information from it.

Knowledge is knowledge, I wont disagree with that.

Edited by Timmy Vermicceli

God has never said he has some kind of book. Humans did.

And the bible does contain lot's of wisdom. Some times I have to read a little part from the bible, not for any religous reasons. But for some important things that really help if you think of it in daily life (I'm a kindda bad tempered person), to bad I just never use it...

Ok, lets clear some things up....

First of all, has anyone here ever read every single version of the Bible?, no, so how would you know that there isnt a "book of god?", look on the internet and you will eventually find the reference.

Ok, lets assume that there isnt a "book of god", when someone refers to something with these

('') on a word, it doesnt necesarily mean that they are quoting from something in particular.

It could mean a number of things, for me Im refering to Gods all knowing knowledge, his ability to see past, present and future.

I just dont get how so many religious people dont even bother to comprehend certain aspects of the Bible, they just justify with some answer that they probably dont even understand..is that faith?

Give me your love or forever burn in hell, not just a few years or even centuries but for eternity. You hear me, ETERNITY!

Yeah, I would really like to worship this "loving" God.

You say you are staying Christian because that is what you were taught - does that mean you aren't going to formulate your own ideas? I hate the thought of just going along with what everybody else says, I like to think things though. Even at college all my teachers keep telling me I need to write all these essays to understand things, and it's not until I get a mediocre mark in the exam that I realise. By then I have experienced it and made my own mind up about it, and that's when I start doing something about it.

• 4 weeks later...

Being of a scientific mind i dont believe in God and i could pick holes in the Bible all day long......for example :innocent: ,if Adam and Eve were the first two people on the earth that would obviously make them the first children of God.If thats the case then they are by sense brother and sister and if we all decend from them that would make us all brother's and sister's.......which makes me ask if were all related and incest is a sin does that not mean were all f***ed from the start?? :lolbounce::lolbounce: On a more serious note,i've been doin a bit of research recently on The Gospel of Saint Thomas which is apparently the actual words of Jesus Christ!! The church has claimed it is heracy because it goes against almost everything they stand for.It said the scroll was found near the Dead Sea Scrolls but not at the same time.Google it!! The St Thomas Gospel(if factual)i think makes Jesus sound like some kind of philosopher or scholar rather than a divine being.From what i've read Jesus was given his divine status by a bunch of drunken bishop's who just decided he was the son of god.I think Jesus was real and his myth has grown to ridiculous extent,mainly from people's fear of the unknown....DEATH!! The insecurity's of the human race as a whole have picked up on his philosophy and turned it into something i find ridiculous!! Religious people are just as scared and confused as everyone else and are just tryin to find something to make the understanding of life alot simpiler.After all that what i was really tryin to say is i think religion is alot of pish!! Your intitaled to your opinion as long as you dont force it apon others!!

http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gthlamb.html The Gospel of Saint Thomas (the gospel has an interesting outlook on women)

To Jace: I'm interested in this statement "lol, yeah. But you won't ever go to such wierd place if you just live a normal life.".Please can you define normal(or what you consider as normal)??

Edited by *sasquatch*