Your Religion / Beliefs

Chris

I'm just wondering how many fellow GTA fans here are religious or believe in some sort of superior being or force.

I class myself an atheist as I don't believe in God. Though as that old quote says, "the only real difference between us is that I believe in one less God than you do". Now I don't want to cause any arguments in this topic, I'm simply looking for everyones opinions on religion and how they differ across the world.

I myself can't see the point of religion. I don't understand why people feel the need to believe that some superior being has supposedly created the world and put us all here. I think it's a illogical and I cannot see any sense in it - that is why I don't believe in God.

I see sense in the explanation that we have evolved over millions of years. It makes perfect sense to me, and it's more natural. I guess that would make me agnostic?

That's just how I feel about everything. I think my opinions are solidly justified here, there's no disputing that. I know many of you will completely disagree, that's fine, as long as you justify your opinions etc.

Please keep it civilised. No arguing at all or we'll suspend you!

I myself can't see the point of religion. I don't understand why people feel the need to believe that some superior being has supposedly created the world and put us all here. I think it's a illogical and I cannot see any sense in it - that is why I don't believe in God. I see sense in the explanation that we have evolved over millions of years. It makes perfect sense to me, and it's more natural. I guess that would make me agnostic?

I feel the EXACT same way. And Chris, this will indeed turn into flamefest if we don't keep close watch on it. Because it's basically inevitable someone is going to bash someone else.

But yeah. Basically, I feel like if religion was WRITTEN by man, then well.. I don't exactly trust it. If history "itself" was written by Eastern European white males (A good chunk of it) what're the chances shit is going to be changed / mistranslated / misinterpreted? It's a pretty good one, I'd say.

I like to think nothing of it, honestly. It's far beyond mine or anyone elses comprehension. I just live life how I think I should and not worry about things. A little naive some people may think, but I don't believe in religion.

LOL, this is very odd because I just went through a debate about this with my friends at lunch about a week ago. Now I'm not gonna start a fight in here...more like a debate.

Now I'm a Christian and I believe in God, Jesus and all of that. Some things in the bible, I don't question, more like put them in perspective. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the bible states that God created man, as if we just blinked into exsistance. Now I'm not sure on this, but did it actually say that the human race including all life forms on earth were blinked onto this planet? Did it say we were as we are today when we came into existance? Did it mention anything about evolution? I'm not sure on any of that, but if any of those facts failed to show up in the bible, then I believe that evolution is possible according to the bible.

Edited by Original GTA Master

I consider myself an atheist, but sometimes theres this weired feeling about being one, cause its pretty much a fact that a person called Jesus Christ actually lived. If there were something he wanted to tell humanity its long gone lost, cause no one can confuse and mix things (historical facts etc.) up like people do.

The reason why I don't know much about ANY religions is because I don't see a reason to. Christianity is what I know most about - only because England is a supposedly Christian country (why? small minority in this country are relgious) and Religous Studies is still compulsary in school up to age 16.

My thoughts on The Bible: I think that some stuff in here is most likely true. A lot of it is massively exaggerated, however. There are a few viable explanations for some of the stuff that happened. But what I really feel like is that it's almost basically a novel. For one point, Adam and Eve appearing out of nowhere(?) and then commiting incestuous acts repeatedly to, over time, create the human race. That is very far-fetched and naive to think that would have happened in my opinion.

The mods are FYI moderating this thread STRICTLY to prevent any racial abuse and such.

My parents and grandparents were Christian, and I went to church with them when I was young. But as soon as I was able to formulate my own ideas about the world, the notion of some superior being and intelligent design seems laughable.

I was reading an article somewhere about how kids are labelled with their parents' religion. The leaflet for a school play said "The three wise men are Sophie, a Catholic; Ameera, a Muslim; and Ashraf, a Sikh - all aged 8". This may seem innocent enough, but that eight-year-old kid hasn't got the mental capacity to formulate their own beliefs and to weigh up everything they have been taught. It would be ridiculous if you labelled them with more specific things such as "Sophie, a member of the IRA; Ameera, an Islamic Extremist..." etc.

Personally I take pride in choosing my old beliefs - the fact that I have overcome the system I have been placed in. I have control over my own life and what I think.

Getting to the point - as for my actual religion - I am atheist. I see no reason why there should be an old man in the sky dictating what we do. The Bible is too full of contradictions to be true - I see it as a damn good story.

However, I do get the feeling that there is more to life than what we know. Perhaps forces or even something simpler, but we don't just mill around on this planet forever...

As for lifestyle, I live in a (decreasingly) Christian country - I follow traditional Christian values and all that. I don't believe the UK (and US) would be anything without its Christianity - that is what has set us apart from the rest of the world.

Due to society I still celebrate Christmas with my family, (used to celebrate Easter when I was young but not anymore). But then again, it's more of a Pagan celebration than Christian... weird isn't it?

That link btw goes to a very interesting article on the BBC, describing the influence of Fly Agaric Mushrooms on the Iconography of Father Christmas.

I suggest you read it because it's very informative. :)

Like Gerard I take pride in the fact that I now have control over my life as I've been able to formulate my own opinions and beliefs. What I can't stand is when parents force their religion on their kids. It's so unfair IMO. They are in no way ready to experience such a dedication in part of their lives. Children are naive and believe anytihng when they're young. I feel they should be left until they become teenages are start having their own opinions. What they choose to believe then is their own choice and it doesn't matter what they choose. It has no affect on anyone but theirselves.

My parents and grandparents were Christian, and I went to church with them when I was young. But as soon as I was able to formulate my own ideas about the world, the notion of some superior being and intelligent design seems laughable.

I was reading an article somewhere about how kids are labelled with their parents' religion. The leaflet for a school play said "The three wise men are Sophie, a Catholic; Ameera, a Muslim; and Ashraf, a Sikh - all aged 8". This may seem innocent enough, but that eight-year-old kid hasn't got the mental capacity to formulate their own beliefs and to weigh up everything they have been taught. It would be ridiculous if you labelled them with more specific things such as "Sophie, a member of the IRA; Ameera, an Islamic Extremist..." etc.

Personally I take pride in choosing my old beliefs - the fact that I have overcome the system I have been placed in. I have control over my own life and what I think.

Getting to the point - as for my actual religion - I am atheist. I see no reason why there should be an old man in the sky dictating what we do. The Bible is too full of contradictions to be true - I see it as a damn good story.

However, I do get the feeling that there is more to life than what we know. Perhaps forces or even something simpler, but we don't just mill around on this planet forever...

As for lifestyle, I live in a (decreasingly) Christian country - I follow traditional Christian values and all that. I don't believe the UK (and US) would be anything without its Christianity - that is what has set us apart from the rest of the world.

Thats exactly my story!! My brother who was raised like me turned out a Christian, but i didnt . Anyway the good thing about me going to church while i was a kid is that now i know bunch of stuff about bible. Now Christmas isnt really about the birth of JC, its a way to make money, just like Halloween, Valentines day etc.

I'm a Christian but and I believe in God but as far as church goes, I'm not very religious. I really don't feel the spirit like everyone else does when I go to church so I really don't like going there that much. My friend on the other hand is very religious and always wants me to go to his church. I really can't sit for 3 1/2 hours straight. The church I mainly go to is 2 hours and he gets mad when I don't go. I'm not going today and he'll be ticked on Tuesday when I go back to school.

Due to society I still celebrate Christmas with my family, (used to celebrate Easter when I was young but not anymore). But then again, it's more of a Pagan celebration than Christian... weird isn't it?
Especially decorating the "Christmas tree"... it was their way of worshipping it or something like that. I really wish I could remember, but I heard it at a Jewish church (for lack of better wording) the one time I went. Dad used to go there because some of his friends did.

My dad is extremly gullible when it comes to pretty much anything. So yeah, when someone tells him something... like "Judism is the right way" ((I'm not saying it's not or anything..)) he started going to a Jewish church. So then Mike and Cindy (I hate them, honestly.) went back to Christianity.... and so did he. Which is why I never go to church with him. If he can't make up his mind about things (He switches churches a good bit...) then he's setting a pretty shitty example for me whom he's supposed to be "teaching."

cause its pretty much a fact that a person called Jesus Christ actually lived.

Not exactly. Some scholars believe that the gospel accounts of Jesus have little or no historical basis. At least in part, this is because they see many similarities between stories about Jesus and older myths of pagan god-men such as Mithras, Attis and Osiris-Dionysus, leading to conjectures that the pagan myths were adopted by some authors of early accounts of Jesus to form a syncretism with Christianity. 1 Sure, it says scholars believe.. but there's no denying similarities in things.

Again with the Pagans.. who are these Pagans anyway?

1 - Thanks to wikipedia

Thats a good thing Jace, ure one of the few people who really remembers what Christmas is about. I go to church in Christmas too but for me its more like tradition to create the Christmas feeling.

Sure I do put up a Christmas tree and get presents (and give, mostly more than I get) to add on to the good Christmas feeling, but I just can't compare Christmas with Valentines day :P

And I don't go that much to church either. Although I do support the Church to be what we call a "mis dinaar". I got no idea what the english word is, but what you have to do is help with the service by getting the wine and stuff. You have to war some kind of long white coat type of thing and will be sitting and/or standing near the preast.

I just can't stand up at 9 AM on sunday when I usually sleep untill 1 PM.

I have many different views on religion, I am sort of sceptic but I believe in the super natural, probably because no-body will ever be able to know how and why we got here. Of course there was the big bang, but your trying to tell me there was nothing before that? If so how do you define nothing? No colour? What colour is no colour? No size? How can 'something' (nothing is something or else how can we describe something that wasn't there) be no size at all? Surely to define nothing you must have an opposite of nothing to balance the equation out?

Science must also acknowledge the super-natural, spontaneous generation was the theory that life spawned from some sort of elixer or something other than life. After a few experiments, scientists concluded that life comes from nothing but life. Therefore, something had to give life. The super natural HAD to occur.

watch these:

Zoom In

The size of our world

A glimpse

Dot- This one has the biggest message.

They really get you thinking beyond.The thing that gets to me the most is that we will NEVER know, no matter how far technology comes, not even future generations.

Edited by Ghost

I'm supposed to be a Mormon, but I was never baptized. Neither was my brothers or my dad! And I only believe in God whenever something good happens to me, which rarely does. I just see Christmas as a way to get presents. I know how Christmas started and I know how they connected it with Jesus Christ to make the holiday more wholesome.

I am a believer of science. I dont believe in religon but I do find it annoying when people say scientology (just as an example)is a load of rubbish because of what they believe in. Errr ya so we are all inbreds? Thats really believable. I just find it hard to believe in any religon. I do believe in science and I think evoloution is what happened, Thats just me.