Apple iPhone

Gerard

U1-1168367892.jpg

After months (even years) of media speculation on the next big breakthrough from Apple, they have just officially announced the long-awaited iPhone. Even though Cisco had trademarked that name a while ago, Apple are using it. The iPhone is also a widescreen iPod and networking device. The best technology in this is the 3.5-inch wide Multi-Touch screen - that can accept input from multiple fingers (useful when typing) and can understand gestures.

Incorporating a 2 megapixel cam, 8 GB of storage, Bluetooth with EDR, WiFi, and quadband GSM radio with EDGE, powered by OSX, also running iTunes, into a 11.5mm-thick case. Apple quotes 5 hours of battery life for talk or video, with a full 16 hours in music mode.

An iPod costs $199, a smartphone $299, and he's combining them so its a 4GB for $499 with a two-year contract from Cingular, and 8GB for $599 . Releasing in the US in June, Europe in Q4, and Asia in 2008.

Read more on Shock Gadgets

Yeah the storage is very weak indeed. I read that Zune has only 2% market share, which I find pretty funny. Apple has come such a long way in the last 3 or 4 years it's really amazing. Everything they make is sexy as hell. And their computers are actually worth buying now too. Much better than shitty virus-adware-spyware-prone Windows, plus they can run virtually and Windows program now. Meh... gotta get myself a MacBook Pro soon! :)

I agree except for the "Macs are worth buying" bit. Why pay...what...$1500 for an OS X machine whereas sub-$650 for parts for a Windows XP to build.

Plus the fact that the only reason Apple created Bootcamp is because of the lack of applications (but mostly games) available for OS X.

And good luck finding workable drivers for everything you need to run games in XP on a Mac.

Macs suck...if they were in Windows' place they'd have the same security flaws as Windows. The ONLY reason Macs don't have hordes of viruses are because their user base is soo tiny.

Why the hell would I play games on a laptop though, I have a perfectly powerful desktop for that. Laptop gaming is shit.

Also I wouldn't use bootcamp, I'd just run any windows programs (apart from Office I can't actually see what I'd use) in Parallels. Simple as. Here in the UK an equally specced laptop costs much the same as a MacBook (with my NUS discount). There's no way in hell I'd build a laptop from scratch.

As for the driver argument, most popular devices are made to standards which both Windows and OSX incorporate. My iPod, digital camera and phone will all work flawlessly.

Mac's are the worlds #1 product in terms of consumer demand, their userbase isn't so tiny anymore, a satirical comic btw is not a credible source. Unless you're a gamer or are seriously strapped for cash there really aren't that many valid reasons to prefer Windows.

I'm sorry but your Anti-Mac stance mirrors Gerard's (or what he used to think anyway) and I won't take it. This topic should be split anyway if you want to carry on this subject. Otherwise we ought to keep discussing the iPhone.

That is a really nice phone and all but i am getting really sick of companys putting a "I" infront of everything

idog, ibaby, ifish and now it's iphone.

But seriously can't they think of something new it's so old

Apple are just continuing their line.... You aren't going to change the name just because a lot more people are using it...