Vista for XP

Pandora

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I just completed a course about it. Since I work at Target employees that are likely to sell or have to know about it can do this course about it (so Microsoft get people good selling them) and we get sent a free copy of Vista Home Premium.

I just have to confirm my details over the next 2 weeks and it'll hopefully be sent to me shortly after that. Might have it by March.

Edited by Chalk

Same wait time as me then aye Chalk. Thats interesting mate, your lucky getting a few copy and all. Enjoy :).

Yeah, I'll have to see which PC I will put it on. Although my laptop might run it I'm not sure how good it will run. It says its Vista Capable but it might still be a bit slow.

I just finished the other modules which means I should also get a copy of Office 2007 and Windows Live OneCare with it.

I think ill stick to XP for a while.

Word. Vista sucks, and not just the end users think that. This is what Kaspersky, the best virus protection for Windows thinks of Vista:

A VIRUS BUSTER over at Kaspersky Labs has some mud to throw at Microsoft's Vista.

In a report entitled Vista vs. Viruses, Alisa Shevchenko, reckons Microsoft’s attempts to increase system stability overall "has had side effects".

Unsurprisingly, the author complains that Microsoft, "has made it impossible for security solution vendors to implement certain functionality within their products. As a result, it's currently not possible to use the full range of effective tools developed by antivirus vendors in the security area"

"Virus writers are now in some senses in a better position - they're not required to tackle PatchGuard head on, and rootkits will simply be able to disable it."

Of kernel mode protection. Shevchenko says, "Yes, this function protects the operating system against malicious code, but it is not as effective as the developers claim".

Since Voleware is so pervasive, "cyber criminals will always be interested in finding vulnerabilities," says the virus hunter. "The fact is that neither the quality nor the quantity of barriers intended to protect against hackers play a significant role. In fact, the opposite is true: they simply stimulate the interest of a particular subsection of the computer underground. The only significant factor is that hackers and virus writers will search for vulnerabilities - that much is clear. And if they are searching for vulnerabilities they will find them.

The conclusion is that Vista is "undoubtedly more secure than previous operating systems from Microsoft". And, a system which is configured in such a way that "everything is blocked except for access to designated sites could be regarded as being absolutely secure."

But that leaves the user constrained, Shevchenko argues.

"If you are jealous of your partner, you may forbid him/her to go out alone, or you may even lock him/her up. Of course, the greater the restrictions, the less likelihood there is of someone else entering into a relationship with your partner. But the more restrictions, the less happy your partner will be. Ultimately, the question is do you really want an unhappy partner?"

Fucking Microsoft have to be douchebags, thats one more reason not to switch to vista.

A thats interesting chris82, I'm running Kaspersky on my XP version.

Just got a copy of the Recommended Retail Price from builderau.com:

Vista SKUs Recommended Retail Price (AU)

Windows Vista Home Basic $385

Windows Vista Home Basic Upgrade $199

Window Vista Home Premium $455

Window Vista Home Premium Upgrade Academic $179

Window Vista Home Premium Upgrade $299

Windows Vista Ultimate $751

Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade $495

Windows Vista Business $565

Windows Vista Business Upgrade $379

So really I'm saving about $445 from the Vista Home Premium, another $150-$200 for the Office Home and Student (Includes Word, Excel, Powerpoint and OneNote), and then about another $40 bucks for the OneCare.

Total saving is about $635-$685.

Yeah, I can live with that. I don't always have to install it straight away in any case.

I saw that. Looks pretty cool if you ask me. I can't agree, either disagree with Chris82. I don't think Vista is crap, but their new protection also blocks extra protection from 3rd party sources.

@ Jared: Business lacks the media center function. You could better just spend a little more and get everything of Vista.

Something I found through a random Google search earlier, quite interesting, and disturbing too:

Now that Windows Vista has officially launched some consumer scrutiny has provided some invaluable insight into the new OS's EULA.The document, available from Microsoft's website, clearly states that any user upgrading to Vista from XP will no longer be able to use the upgraded copy of XP.

The Vista EULA, suggests that once a consumer has purchased the upgrade he will not be given the option to revert to XP in case, for example, he does not like Vista. The relevant EULA article states, 13. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is eligible for the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the agreement for the software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded from.

Considering that upgrades will be a popular Vista migration option it is important that users realise how final a commitment their upgrade will be. Most XP owners are likely to wish to wait until a verdict on Vista is out before rushing to upgrade.

Source.

Sorry to tell you this Bill, but that ain't a very good idea me thinks :thumbsdown:

So for example if you choose to upgrade, and realise that the upgrade sucks and is hard to use, and you decide to downgrade back to XP, it won't work at all when its downgraded back to XP? If that is the case, f*** getting vista, not worth the risk, even IF its much better I don't like the idea of not being able to go back to XP once its been upgraded. :angry: