Martial Arts

8-ball

Hi guys, Well I just seen a post and have been asked what I do, Im a 1st dan Black Blet in Kuk Sool Won.

I have been training for 5 years now, into my 6th year and on Sunday 19th November I first time tested for my 2nd dan.

Any of you guys herd of it.

Any of you guys do it.

If not what do you do and how far are you.

The idea of the belt system is one away of rank, but most of all to show what you know. A begininer knows very little so he/she is give a white belt, when they become black belt he/she knows a lot (more than he was a white belt.)

Kuk Sool Won is a systematic study of all of the traditional fighting arts, which together comprise the martial arts history of Korea. As such, Kuk Sool Won is extremely well organized and seeks to integrate and explore all aspects of the traditional Korean martial arts.

As a martial arts system, Kuk Sool Won covers the entire spectrum of established Asian fighting arts and body conditioning techniques, as well as mental development and traditional weapons training. The following list includes some, but by no means all, of the elements of Kuk Sool Won.

The history of Korean martial arts is as old as the land itself and can be traced as far back as the prehistoric era, where primitive weapons made of wood and stone were used for hunting and fighting. As early as 2707 BC, the Korean warlord Chi-Woo, also known as Jaoji, reigned as the ¡°god of war¡± in what is now Mainland China.

Since then, the majority of Koreans migrated and settled in the region of the Korean Peninsula, where there have been more than a thousand recorded instances of foreign invasions. Consequently, the Korean people developed unique martial arts and military strategies in order to defend themselves and their territory.

Most of these Korean martial arts fall into three main groups or branches, namely tribal, Buddhist, and royal court martial arts.

The development of each of these three branches is briefly described below:

Tribal martial arts (SahDoh MuSool)

The earliest martial arts developed in Korea are referred to as SahDoh MuSool; meaning tribal, clan, or family martial arts, as this type of martial art was mainly passed down from one generation to the next through family lines.

SahDoh MuSool was popular among the ancient tribes, city-states and smaller kingdoms that formed in the Korean Peninsula and parts of what is now China. This was evident well before the first unified Korean kingdom of Ko-Cho Sun which was founded in 2333 BC by the legendary king, DahnGoon WahngGuhm. Later, SahDoh MuSool was further developed and made widespread by voluntary militias comprised of the common people, who often fought in battles to defend their villages.

Traditional athletic activities such as Taekkyon, and Ssireum are considered to have originated from SahDoh MuSool. In fact, many techniques found in the popular Olympic sport of TaeKwonDo can also be traced back to SahDoh MuSool.

Buddhist martial arts (BoolKyo MuSool)

Since Buddhism was first introduced to the kingdom of Koguryo in the year 347, a rather unique form of martial arts was developed by both Buddhist monks as well as martial artists, known as BoolKyo MuSool.

Buddhist monks originally developed and then practiced BoolKyo MuSool to improve their health while meditating and to defend themselves while traveling.

As a result, Buddhist martial arts include both internal training, with emphasis on special breathing and meditation methods, as well as external training, with emphasis on extremely effective self-defense techniques. Many Buddhist monks were so accomplished as martial artists that they were occasionally called upon during national emergencies to fight in battles by forming unprecedented armies of warrior monks.

To this day, BoolKyo MuSool plays a significant role for Korean martial artists by providing them with philosophies of non-violence and compassion as well as ethical codes of conduct, such as the famous Five Precepts of the HwaRang warriors.

Royal court martial arts (KoongJoong MuSool)

Kings, royal families and government officials had private armies and bodyguards who practiced a type of martial art known as KoongJoong MuSool.

These royal court martial arts gave rise to esoteric techniques of easily portable weapons such as short swords and folding fans. Also developed were unique weaponless techniques of joint-locking and pressure point striking.

Existing records in Japan suggest that many KoongJoong MuSool techniques found their way there and gave birth to the Japanese art of Jujitsu.

King JinHung of the Kingdom of Silla encouraged the HwaRang warriors to practice KoongJoong MuSool in addition to their other martial arts training. But later during the Koryo Dynasty and Chosun Dynasty, Korean kings enforced policies to discourage the practice of martial arts and to forbid the possession of weapons, in order to protect themselves from military rebellion or any other political uprising.

However, Korean martial arts have continued to develop both within and without the royal courts, thanks to the efforts of many dedicated Korean martial artists to practice, record, and compile these precious martial art techniques.

Traditional Korean martial arts (Kuk Sool)

The three branches of traditional Korean martial arts: SahDoh MuSool, BoolKyo MuSool, and KoongJoong MuSool, were organized to form a single system known as Kuk Sool in 1958 by In-hyuk Suh, the founder and Grandmaster of Kuk Sool Won¢â.

Kuk Sool has countless techniques derived from the three branches of traditional Korean martial arts and is structured to take a practitioner in a logical progression from the beginning all the way up to Master level.

Kuk Sool Won¢â has been actively promoted worldwide by the World Kuk Sool Association¢ç, and it is also recognized in the martial arts community as one of the most effective and comprehensive systems of traditional Korean martial arts in existence today.

Kuk Sool Won

Go here for more information.

The belts on Kuk Sool Won are:

White

Yellow

Blue

Red

Brown

Brown with black stripes

Black.

Edited by 8-ball

Lol

We had Shoto-Kan Style Karate in school

And i am a Blue Belt.

I also won (By mistake :P ) a bronze medal in one of the comp.

But that was 3 years ago.

Cool I did some Shotokan too but it was this one time thing in this Karate camp that I went to for 1 week the first year and 2 weeks the second. It was really great cause we got lots of free time to play sports, swim, talk etc. In those 2 weeks you had to do a final exam and I got an orange belt it was pretty sweet. :gappy: But normally for about a year I did Gu Ju Ru style Karate and got yellow belt green stripe. And even BEFORE all that when I was like 6-8 I did Tae Kwan Do and had a green belt. Martial arts are pretty cool I might start Judo soon. :D

I know that was funny stuff! Imagine how embarassed that guy must be; it's all over youtube. Really considering starting some martial arts again thanks for making this topic Lord Voldemort. Any recommendations? So far I'm thinking either Judo or Jujitsu (my friend does it, might join up with him).

Lol

Artur but 8-ball made this topic. :)

Anyway i recomend you continue Shoto-Kan Stlye.Itz really popular here.I would have continued but the teacher cheated the pupils by not giving them the belts of our last exam.ANd them there was a fight.

So lol

We all disscontinued.

BOL to you

^ninjitsu? where did you get that, gay-ruto?

Im studied Pi Gua? (I dont remember how its spelt) The moves are really cool, I was a brown belt. Yes

Lol. It's like ninja stuf with karate. Hence Ninjitsu...

Question, does it even exist outside anime?

Im studied Pi Gua? (I dont remember how its spelt) The moves are really cool, I was a brown belt. Yes