First VCS Review - From PSM

Chris

PSM are the first major publication to get their review of Vice City Stories out. We've had a flurry of previews recently, and it seems that companies are getting to play the entire game for themselves now, so expect a lot more reviews coming in over the next week or so.

In short, PSM say it's an excellent game, giving it a rating of 9.5. Included in the article are 9 new screenshots, and a few new details.

PSM say that Vice City Stories is the best PSP game they've ever played, but it didn't achieve a perfect 10 due to all the technical glitches. There is an incredibly vague explanation of drowning - it seems that if you swim for 'too long' you will drown, it's unclear whether they mean underwater (running out of breath), or actually above water and losing stamina and energy. I'm sure this will be cleared up in other reviews.

There are still issues with the targeting system, sometimes pedestrians will be targeted instead of armed gang members. There are also issues with the AI, enemies will sometimes get stuck running into walls, and occasionally your fellow gang members will run in front of your gunfire, causing you to kill them and subsequently fail the mission.

The storyline apparently clocks in at taking approximately 15 hours to complete, very short for a GTA game. Then again, taking into consideration all the mini games, side missions, empire building, and the fact it's meant to be portable, this figure is fairly reasonable.

Expect many more reviews, the final site update, and many more screenshots and videos soon!

On a sidenote, UK supermarket Tesco have revealed the back cover of the Vice City Stories box. Click the thumbnail below for the full version.

vcs_back_cover.jpg

9.5 is pretty good. Did PSM give a score to LCS last year and if so, what was it?

They probably did but I don't know what it was, however, I do have some other LCS review scores we can compare it to.

IGN - 9 / 10

1UP - 9.0 / 10

GamesDomain - 4.5 / 5

GameSpot - 8.6 / 10

If these websites post VCS previews I will be posting them and comparing, from what we've heard VCS sounds much better anyway, so I'd assume all these sites would give it a higher rating than LCS.

If you drown for swiming to long they made it more realistic then san andreas style of swimming. No one can swim for ever and never get tried. maybe thats what the swimming side missions are for. Build up so you can swim longer and faster

Edited by Noru