editing SCM

Quantum Man

I have two mods that require the scm to be changed: the high and drunk mod, and the super cj mod; where cj can fly if you jump high enough. So does anyone have a basic idea on how to combine the changes in the scm file? So cj can get real high, and then literally higher than a kite. lol

You don't need to change anything in the main.scm

You use the mission editor program toopen up the main SCM then copy and paste the code into the proper place inside the main.scm

The compile it and you are good to go

Yeah not just back that file up but anything you plan to mod.

there are things you can do to make replacing original files easier

For example backing up the whole gta3.img file rather than try to back up each individual TXD and dff file that way you have every single file backed up at once. Take them out of the back up when neccessary or even if you screw somehting up totally you cna just delete the whole .img and replace it with the back up

See what I mean

Me personally I backed up the whole data and text folder. Now I don't have to worry about anything

You don't need to change anything in the main.scm

You use the mission editor program toopen up the main SCM then copy and paste the code into the proper place inside the main.scm

The compile it and you are good to go

TX3000 in this post you used the term "proper place" exactly what is the proper place?Should i do a query on the name CJ and paste the code in right there or what? Any help/suggestions will be appreciated ..

Thanks in advance :D

The place that is for that specific type of code to do that specific thing you want.
Okay Jace lol :blink: I guessed that the place i needed to paste in in order to get my code to work in game was the place where those type of things needed to be pasted.... :rofl2: But i need to know which spot is the specific spot to paste the string....hehehe if you can understand what i mean???

Anyway dude where is that spot? The area within the main scm which controls those aspects of the game?

Have you read Yeti's coding tutorial 1 & 2? No? then do so. You'll find them pinned in this subrofum.

Yea i did actually i read them both thats how i am....But i did not see info as to where to insert code for altering CJ ie: flying..If i missed it i dunno il check again but i am fairly certain that i did not though.

Well, I dunno shit about coding, and I've just browsed the tutorial, and I'd say that you need to place the code in the first empty line.

Hell Slayer im with you i dont know Doo-Doo bout codin either but i am gonna try to at least learn the basics so i wont have to ask such NooBish questions i hate to feel left out...LOL :cry: ill try that suggestion of yours seein as i have not saved any progress yet so i dont have any saved games to worry about. so im guessin that the worse case scenario ill just have to utilize my back ups..

Well, you've got to configure the Mission Builder first (or mission editor, whateva) so that it can edit main.scm. Again, the instructions are in the tutorial.

Good luck with your coding (like you need any...)

LUCK WHO NEEDS LUCK <_< ??? Nah im kiddinThanks for the well wishes i actually did already configure the mission builder, in fact I used the TUT from YETI and wrote in the bribe pickup he instructed on but as far as the whole superCJ thing i saw no info on that..But as i said before ill get to tryin wut you suggested latwer today when iget back to my house and i am sittin in front of the "monster" thats what i call my machine lol..Right now i am at the dime of my lifes' house using up her bandwidth cuz THATS wut i do.... :evil: but since i was working on her network i figured i could check up here to see if i had gotten any responses...

The only thing configuring the mission builder does is set it up so that you can open the main.scm

It does nothing to the main.scm itself.

in short the mission builder is simply a decompiler and a compiler it does nothing to explain where the placement of the code strings go

Anyway a tutorial cannot be made about where code strings go because each code string that is created by the coder is probably different therefore a different code sting usually means a different place in the script. And the only person who can tell you where any particular given code string goes, is the person who made it.

for example I will almost guarentee that the bigfoot code sting is in a different place than the Flying CJ/super CJ code sting is placed.. Thus proving my point..Both are mods made by 2 different people and placed into 2 completly different sections of the main SCM

I actually had to drag it out of the person who created the super CJ codestring where it gets placed in the main.scm and how

I think that the person who creates a mod with a code string that gets placed in the main SCM are the ones repsonsible for creating a read me explaining to find the exact code line that the code sting they made gets placed Directly under

For example the readme should say something like this:

1) Find this code line (Insert line)

2) Place the code string in this mod directly under the code line you searhced for

3) This is waht it should look like now (and give an example showing the code line searched for and then the start of the mod cod string)

Ok See how simple that is...

I know very little about coding or how it works or anything esle applied to this subject, but I don't need to, Al i need to shown is where the code sting for the mod gets placed into the main SCM.

And I just wrote a readme for something I know nothing about but yet I know what needs to be in the readme.

This is going to be my new Sig

People who create things then not give instructions on how to use what they talk about need to be taught a lesson by having all the crap they post removed and then banned from the site they pulled that shit on.

This is the same type of issue I had with Zmodeler.

Edited by tx3000

People who create things then not give instructions on how to use what they talk about need to be taught a lesson by having all the crap they post removed and then banned from the site they pulled that shit on.

Yet again TX3000 you have done it...Gone right straight to the point, that was the type of thing i needed to know at least now i know that it surely does have its own spot and i wont continue F****NG up my game tryin to figure it out!!! :pissedred: I as a new poster dont want to step on any toes but really though i do appreciate all the nice DLS up here and all the time that goes in to makin em but I have to stand and be counted with TX on this issue..DAMMIT people PLEASE PLEASE when you guys are puttin your mods up if you really want us to enjoy them then EXPLAIN how to use them ie: (code placement or extra steps or work arounds you found to work with your specific mod )... Im over here loosin my mind tryin to figure this thing out among some other mods i have dled, :wtf: I am spendin more time tryin to figure out how to get some of this S**T to work than i am actually playin the game this past weekend ,only to be told by someone who i think just might be right.I say this because in retrospect it makes perfect logical sense to me that the problem is not me at all, instead its moreso the placement of said code string being dependent upon the creator...Thanks again TX3000 for the enlightenment. If you know the placement for that super cj mod i would appreciate it if you would share it with me..

PS: i dont want to step on any toes or cross any lines but seriously, i really do appreciate all of you mod/script writers work and effort but dont waste your time and ours if you wont explain how your stuff works...The majority of us dont require baby stepping us through it, just point us in the right direction and we can figure it out at least i can.. but c'mon guys toss a bone.As a mod author if you cant take a lil constructive criticism from your end users then dont post at all. but for all the guys who are takin this and the other numerous posts like it into consideration, then countless thanks to you,and i look forward to many more great mods with Clear and accurate instructions to accompany the many who already do include that with their contributions... Sorry for the rant but i had to get that off i feel better now :thumbsup:

Edited by Rakim