Simple instructions on how to use the GXT Editor

tx3000

There are way too many people asking for the answer to this question for a topic like this to not be created and no one seems to either want to answer or answer it in such a manor that most people can follow due to un-neccessary information and instruction being given..

Well this topic solves that problem

FOREWARD:

I found out the reason why there are way too many people asking how to use the GXT editor to change the name of something in the game. It's because the person who created the GXT editor is a complete idiot (Hammer in this case) to post up a tool without instructions as to how to use it.

As it is now, the way the instructions are posted on how to use this tool in order for you to change a name of something you need have to edit every single file in the game that uses the name you wnat to change, on top of that the instructions that are posted on this are not only un-neccessary but are causing way too many how do I use this Questions. In fact i'm still trying to get an answer as to why one person who was trying to explian this to me said to open up the handling.cfg and change the name in there....WTF

I found out that if change what was told to me to change by this idot...the game will lock up

So I have removed all the crap and stuck to the basics on what needs to be done in 10 simple easy to follow steps that anyone can follow.

I will change Infernus to Mclaren using the picture that someone colored and gave to me for easier following:

NOTE: THIS GXT EDITOR WORKS ON ANY VERSION OF THE .GXT File: COMP, X-BOX, or PS2

And this proceedure I have described below is the same for all 3

I see people saying you need to save stuff into the ini file and all this other un-neccessary crap

JUST TO MAKE IT CLEAR----YOU DO NOT NEED TO HAVE TO HAVE THE INI FILE REMEMBER ANYTHING IN ORDER FOR THIS TO SHOW UP..IN FACT YOU DO NOT NEED THE INI FILE FOR ANYTHING IF YOU FOLLOW THE 10 SIMPLE STEPS BELOW.

YOU ONLY NEED THE GXT EDITOR AND THE GXT FILE AND TO REMEMEBER WHAT YOU CHANGED...NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS, NOTHING ELSE

Use this picture for the following instructions:

GXTEditor.jpg

1) Open the GXT file

2) Click Search and use the find value option, type the name Infernus and click find next (The find name option does not work when typing the actual name of something)

3) This will locate infernus which will be displayed in 2 areas, the blue section in the bottom and the green section on the right

4) You want to edit what's in the green section so change Infernus to Mclaren

5) Next go to the entry tab at the top of the editor select, rename.

6) A rename entry box will pop up that says enter a new name entry box (In this case it would be E7E843FF because I am using Infernus as the example)

7) Ignore everything and just click OK

8) Next go down to the blue section and right click on the word Infernus. Ignore the box that pops up that has the 3 sort by options in it

9) Next go to the top of the editor underneath the edit option there is a disk Icon - Click that

10) Once the icon goes blank (Like it is in the picture above) all you need to do is close out the GXT editor and then you are done

You use these same 10 steps to change any name you want to whatever you want.

Now as you can see, there was no need to open up anything else, change other vaues or do whatever anyone else is saying to do, and there was no need to keep anything in the .ini file either

There I hope that helps

Edited by tx3000

• 3 weeks later...
There are way too many people asking for the answer to this question for a topic like this to not be created and no one seems to either want to answer or answer it in such a manor that most people can follow due to un-neccessary information and instruction being given..

Well this topic solves that problem

So I have removed all the crap and stuck to the basics on what needs to be done in 10 simple easy to follow steps that anyone can follow.

TX3000 let me say that i have been browsing this site now i guess for the better portion of a week and despite the sometimes harsh :bashhead: way you come across you are a VERY VERY helpful person i have read through quite a few of your posts which simplified several problems that i have had since i started trying to mod GTA SA and i have to say a big hats off and a thank you, i think that your straight forward approach to helping the people around here get their SH*T right on this game is appreciated much. :worship: When i have been TRYING TO FIND the answer to certain questions i have because of the fact that i am a bit of a "i'll fix it myself" type guy just show me how it gets frustrating to run into posts that dont give clear info or are just flat out incorrect. So you should pat yourself on the back for providing something so necessary to ANY site which has a section dedicated to helping its members learn things. Especially after searching and searching for clear and concise instructions on certain topics it is good to find some easy to follow and direct instructions for us NooBs..If I had two people like you working for me in my Southwest Market Region i would have to travel a hell of a lot less!!! :coolthumbup:

Edited by Rakim

Thank you very much.

As a side note: I have been writting instruction manuals and tuts for noobs for a really long time

Want to know how I get to the bottom of things faster than most and am able to do things differently

Here is my whole secret ready:

I write the manual as I am using the program going over it from beginning to end slowly. I write the step from actually looking at what it is showing in the program then I simply go back and do the step as I am someone reading it and then correct anything I may have missed and rewrite it as needed.

I do this for as many steps as needed then once all the steps are done I go from start to finish rechecking everything I just did and corrected...i continue this proceedure until its dummy proof

Now I know this sounds like a lot of work but its not.

This tut for example here took me all of about 10- min max to write

See I take what I know works then write the instructions as how I get to each point and when I do full blown maunuals I write what each step should end up looking like and what to do if it doesn't..i go all out...you should see the walk through I made for resident evil Zero's Leech hunter...

You see its not that I did anything different than most its the fact that I know how to attack things from a perspective most people don't know. And its not hteir fault when you understand this aspect of manuals its just that the people who are writing them are already familliar with the concept so they are oblivious to this now. But more so they forget what its like to not be able to understand someone elses point of view