My new vid

Slayer

I've finished editing and rendering my new SA stunt vid "Freestyle". As announced, it will include both stunts I've submitted for the "Blackout" and newer ones I haven't submitted to Ghost.

Now the thing is that gta-downloads are down for quite some time now, and I don't believe that they'll be up again before fall. They used to host my previous vids (even the "Adrenaline", if anyone has seen that crap) "Fly Till Die", "Rooftop Run" & "The Final Flight". So now I'm asking admins, Chris especially, would they mind hosting it on TGTAP? The file's quite big (183MB, aprox.) but that's understoodable if it's in 640x480 resolution (the native, 640x512 isn't supported by MPEG-2 format) and it has lots of special effects (detailed audio-video sync). I couldn't because of some reason compress it more, even if I've reduced the quality, the video would "lose" only a few megabytes, so higher quality is a better choice. I've additionaly compressed it with WinRAR (from 205 MB to 183 MB). Oh, if you wanna know, the uncompressed AVI version of the vid has 8.7 GB. Now 183 MB doesn't seem so much, does it? Btw, the DivX format wasn't suitable for this video because it has lots of artifacts for some reason. I've tried different programs and preferences, got the newest codec, but still the vid has way too much artifacts. When you combine that with special effects, you get a very very sick video, so MPEG-2 is the best solution. WMV9 has good compression but very low quality on higher resoultions so it's not suitable either.

So, anyone interested?

Jesus Christ, 183 meg, wow, how long's it go for?

If you're really tied for solutions for hosting, try filefront, or something

It's about 6 minutes long. And the problem is that FileFront has slow servers, and I don't think many people would bother downloading a 183 MB @ 5 KB/s.

I don't recall seeing any of your previous vids, are they hosted anywhere where I can get them right now?

The thing is, as I've said, GTA downloads are down and all of my vids are hosted there. You have RapidShare links in the SA stunting subforum, except for the last vid, but all of them have expired a long time ago.

Oh well, I'll try to reduce the size a bit, but no promises. If you have at least a bit knowledge about video formats, you'll know how video compression works. Let me explaine:

On the beggining of the scene, computer renders the complete first frame (aka keyframe). On the second frame it renders only the changes between the first and the second frame. On the third frame, it renders chnages between the 2nd and the 3rd frame, and so on for another 9000 frames that my contains.

Now that you know that, you should get why the file's so big. When you put an effect like invert or solarize, all of the pixels on the frame change, so computer creates a new keyframe. And keyframe is a full, uncompressed picture. After half a second, the effect fades, and pixels again completely change, so computer again has to create a new keyframe. Since there are quite a lot of effects, there are lot of keyframes, and that instantly means lower compression.

Hope I've the things clear :mellow:

Wow dude, i've seen much longer stunt vids, and they're much smaller, take XXL for example, that was around 8 minutes, and was quite a bit smaller.

Experiment with compression until you get a good size, what codecs do you use?

Okay, I've made it to 71MB using MPEG-2 @ 1777kbps (lowest bitrate) and WinRAR. Can't go lower than that. Bad thing is that some effects are less visible even to me, and I've spent hours and hours editing it. That means that an average viewer won't see them at all and they would probably seem to him like a noise.