SA Modding Guide

Gerard

• 2 weeks later...

OK, first I'd like to say hello to everyone, as I am new to the forum. Second, i am interested in modding my ps2 version of San Andreas. It is v1, and i have the independence exploit installed to my memory card. I HAVE read some of the other posts, and thay all claim that modding the ps2 version is as easy as changing the files you want, and then burning another dvd. Now, the other posts i have read say that you need a mod chip. however, i do not have a mod chip, nor a hard drive installed in my ps2. i was just using iso buster to extract the files, then changing them to what I want.(I had made some changes to the GTA3.img file, but when my backups refused to boot, i removed THAT mod). I have made changes to the following files:

-peds.ide

-shopping.dat

-loadscs.txd

I then used iso buster (and the ORIGINAL pressed disc) as well as the $ony cd-dvd generator (2.0) and then arranged the files in order according to LBA.(AFTER specifying the disc specs in the volume pane) The settings i used in the generator were : (under Master disc)

Disc Name:SLUS-20496

Producer Name:PLAYSTATION

Copyright Holder:PLAYSTATION

License Area:AMERICA (as per the "SLUS" spec)

Under Volume Identifier

Volume:SAN_ANDREAS

Volume Set:(I leave it blank)

Publisher:PLAYSTATION

Data Preparer:(blank)

Application:PLAYSTATION(greyed out, cannot be changed)

Creation Date:whatever day I open the program.

Ok. Now, I can send a list of LBAS for people, but , for simplicity, system.cnf starts @651, and PAD. is @2171536. Now, I export the .iml file, (I called it gtasa.iml) and then I used Gneis iml2iso, and once that is completed, I open the newly created ISO in ISOBuster, and ISOBuster then tells me that I have unreadable sectors. Under ISO, MODELS folder:gta3_1.img. Under ISO,AUDIO folder:PAD.Under UDF:MODELS Folder:GTA3_1.img, Under the AUDIO Folder:PAD. under SFX:feeto2,genrl02,pain_A02,Script02. Under STREAMS:co.pak

Sorry for the long post, as it is my first, but i have made 13, yes...13! dvd coasters, HOWEVER..I HAVE successfully made 1 fully functional copy of the game, WITHOUT any mods. So..can someone PLEASE tell me what I am doing wrong?

• 1 month later...
Maybe you could add a tutorial on how to install buildingS?
Gerard can you do a tutorial on how to install buildings and other mods like trains?!

Most building mods are simply textures - so you do it a bit like cars. You open gta3.img with IMG Tool, and replace some .txd files (textures) with the ones given to you in the mod (they'll have the same names). If the mod comes with some .dff files, do the same with them. Any big map mods will have to start editing the map files, which should be detailed in the README that comes with the mod.

Trains should be exactly the same as other vehicles (with the engine and carriages separate), but remember that they always live on the tracks, so you can't spawn trains in front of you (using cheats or a trainer) or the game will crash.

No help will be given on how to downgrade, work it out yourself ;) . Sorry.
Downgrading is fine, because it is for the purpose of modding the game, and doesn't directly compromise the game's security. Actually, we shouldn't give help for PS2 modding, because that requires the user to create "backup" copies of the game, which can easily be given to other people (which is piracy). For those people that want a free copy of the game, remember that we're the people paying for the next GTA, you are refusing to pay those people who are working on it. If you guys all paid like you were supposed to, maybe that game would be even better.

• 2 weeks later...

You can spawn Trains in front of you without it crashing....

I used the Pawfect Films studios spawner and it works(the train just floats there lol <><)

<>< FISH

With manual mods can u change what vehicle they are for by changing the carcols and stuff

e.g carcols bullet 45,46 54,245 to turismo 45,46 54,245

and all the other files (handling, default, dff and txd). Or would the game not recognize?

Edited by Gerard

Whoops - sorry for not replying.

Yeah that is fine to do in most situations - if you download a mod for the Washington, you can just change the word "Washington" to "Admiral" and install it in the Admiral's slot instead. But if you try to copy a car that is very different (eg the Washington into the Coach slot) it won't fit right, because of the collision files (everything will still bump into the Coach, and the shadow will be the length of the coach, even though you can only see the Washington), but if you copy the col files (using a col editor) you can avoid that.

However there are exceptions - planes, boats and bikes are all different to cars, so there would probably be some problems trying to make a car into a boat.

Also, there is a certain number of cars/bikes/planes/boats, so you can't turn the washington into a plane just by copying the handling or anything. Likewise with sirens (flashing lights on emergency vehicles) - this can't be copied from one car to another - it is built in so that only the copcars/ambul/fire/swat/fbi/army vehicles can do that.

• 2 weeks later...
I too have recently purchased the second version, and i canot seem to install any kind of customized vehicles.nar could i use the CAMERA HACK. the only thing that worked for me was the MAP EDITOR. Somebody please reply.

Funny enough, Camera Hack and installing custom cars is a piece of cake, but I don't think I ever had a map editor on my computer. :D

Where did you download it from?

• 3 weeks later...

O MY GOD HOLY SHIT SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME ON GETTING A SINGLE MOD INTO THIS GAME IM GOING INSANE, i have grand theft auto san andreas for PC and i have no idea wut to do the forums dont help and i have read this guide 3 times and i am still lost!!!!! ITS SO FRUSTRATING!!!, email me at [email protected] or my AIM instant messenger screenname is reesespuffs135 HELP ME

• 3 weeks later...

If San Andreas won't load after you've installed a mod, it probably means you have version 2 of San Andreas (if you bought the game within the past year or two, then you definitely will) - so you need to downgrade.

If that is not the problem, it means you didn't do it properly. Make sure that you replaced the txd and dff files instead of just adding new ones. Make sure you got the handling.cfg and vehicles.ide config lines replaced properly (again, don't add new ones, replace the old ones). If you can't get it to work, uninstall the mod (put it back to how it was before you added it) by putting the backups that you should have made back. If you didn't make any backups, you could ask here (in a new topic) and someone might be kind enough to give you their copy. If that doesn't work, then you may have to re-install the game.

You install skin mods pretty much the same way as cars, except instead of models/gta3.img it is in models/player.img - the name of the txd file is the name of the txd file you need to replace, but the readme that comes with the mod should tell you what you need to do.

• 2 weeks later...

GRAND THEFT AUTO: San Andreas

ReadMe.txt

V1.00

that above is in the readme file foe gta so does the v1.00 part mean i have version 1 and i can install mods?? plz reply:)

• 4 weeks later...