Global Space Help

Or I could generously increase the storage.

Yeah, maybe it would be a good idea to increase the storage with the number of posts member's made. Maybe each "pip" is worth 1MB, you decide. However, maybe you should decrease the global space avaliable for members with less than 20 posts (or whatever number you want) because there are thousand of member that make a post or two and leave this forum forever.

There have been lots of things which have pointed to the requirement of a privileged members group, a VIP group, or a separate group for newbies.

It is a tricky situation, and the last thing we want to do is divide the members in half. If we said everyone with more than 50 posts is privileged, then discrimination could come in and the people in the better group would think they were better than people in the worse group and treat the newbies like dirt.

Pips work separately to groups, they are based purely on your post count and change nothing but your title. It is easy enough to promote people to other groups when they get x posts, but is it a bit of a faff on if we're doing that for loads of separate groups? There's no way we're having 40 new groups, because anything we wanted to change we'd have to change 40 times. Perhaps one or two, see what Chris says.

For example:

New members may not be able to post new topics, upload anything or post twice within 30 seconds. After 20 posts they get automatically promoted to the 'members' group, where they can do everything you guys all can. After 500 posts they get promoted to the privileged member group, where they can upload more, and maybe have access to a separate forum that other members can't see. Perhaps the normal+privileged members could get a blog, but not the new members, or perhaps not.

It is up to Chris, who hasn't been to keen on the idea whenever I've mentioned it. But tbh I think it'd be good if we were careful about it, and made sure the only difference between the groups was post count, not 'better' people.