Those golden boxes...

pip.gif

They are "pips", showing your "rank" on the forums, based on how many posts you have. Your rank is also shown by the text just above the pips unless you change your member title.

For example, you have 501 posts. Members who reach 500 posts attain the rank "Headhunter", and have 5 pips. You actually have 5 pips when you reach 450 posts (Hired Muscle) but your rank changes more often than the number of pips. You have changed your member title to "The Flow", if you hadn't done that it would show your rank name.

I have 894 posts, and that is "Made Man" at 800 posts with 8 pips. When I reach 900 I'll still have 8 pips but change to the "Right-Hand Man" rank. My rank name doesn't show because I have changed my member title to "Invision Power Lord".

Your rank actually makes no difference to anything else. You don't get any extra rights or privileges based on your rank, its simply a way of expressing post count. Bit useless really, but we could adapt it to allow people of a higher rank to have access to more things. For example, if we had the blogs installed, only people with a rank of "Trickster" (100 posts) or higher could create a blog. Things like that are always possible, but we don't do anything like that now.

Hope that clears things up. Would you like us to list all the ranks we have?

Members with more than 50 posts can change their member title in Profile Settings. Its the top setting - 'Custom member title'. If you don't or can't change your member title, or leave it blank, your rank goes there instead. Please be aware that rank is separate to user group, mods and admins still have ranks.

Here is the complete ranks list, along with the number of posts you need, and the number of pips you get:

Zero - 0

Nobody Special - 1

Shoplifter - 15

Vandal - 30

Pickpocket - 50 (1 pip)

Scam Artist - 75

Trickster - 100

Numbers Runner - 125

Hustler - 150 (2 pips)

Bully - 175

Riff-Raff - 200

Outlaw - 225