Drowning.

In the next GTA game, your charecter will be able to break into cars, run for miles, shoot with pinpoint accuracy. He will outrun the army, fly helicopters with no training, assasinate, joyride, carjack... but he will not be able to swim.

Part of what makes GTA so great is it's keeping in with the atmosphere. When you walk into Ammu-nation, you don't have menu screens to remind you you're in a game: the camera merely zooms in on the weapons on the wall. The game doesn't even have a main menu - if there is nothing on the memory card, it starts a new game for you! Maybe the reason R* won't let us swim is because a thwocking great oxygen meter will shatter the atmosphere? After all, Oxygen meteres are the only way to do it, right?

Wrong. Half-Life perfected this system, and Half Life is the best game ever, so Rockstar should learn from it. It works like this:

When you jump into water, for a short period you can swim normally. Then, as you run out of oxygen, your health slow goes down, 5hp at a time. The lower your health goes, the faster it goes. When you come out of the water, your health will gradually go back to whatever it was before you jumped into the water (minus any damage you might have taken in the water from guns, etc.). This perfectly represents it: the less your health is, the shorter you'll be able to swim for. When you come out, you gradually recover your breath (ie. health), so, unless you drown, swimming won't do you any permanent damage.

It might sound complicated, but its not. If you havn't played Half Life (shame on you!), do so and you'll see how well it works. It would be perfect for GTA, and it would bring an end to all those frustrating, annoying deaths you constantly suffer, through no fault of your own, when a police car rams you into the water, or you don't see the sea until the last moment.

that idea sounds pretty good CC

but the way I see it would save them even more trouble. Who said the main character has to swim underwater? All I'm looking for is the ability to swim across the water, just like regular swimming, I wouldn't even mind if if it didn't have the option to dive underwater...

That option right there would still save you from all of the annoying deaths, and accidents, I mean if you think about it it's kinda pointless to actually go underwater anyway, there's nothing to do :mellow:

it will get the cops of your tail

eg....

... drive off the edge of the ... err ... road thing and get out of the car under water and swim to a boat and nick that

if police can't swim that would be better

but if they can then you'll have to lose them.

If the cops were chasing you in the water, you could probably throw a fun size snickers bar the other direction and I bet they would go swim for it...

i thought amercain police liked donunts! not

Snickers.

Edited by @NDY

that idea sounds pretty good CC

but the way I see it would save them even more trouble. Who said the main character has to swim underwater? All I'm looking for is the ability to swim across the water, just like regular swimming, I wouldn't even mind if if it didn't have the option to dive underwater...

That option right there would still save you from all of the annoying deaths, and accidents, I mean if you think about it it's kinda pointless to actually go underwater anyway, there's nothing to do :mellow:

True, but diving would be great. Does anyone remember good ol' Super Mario 64 for the N64? That was great swimming. I loved the controls and something like that should be put into GTA. Adding to the original post, what if you are swimming for long distances, won't fatigue play an important role along with breath? I was thinking that it could work like this:

You swim for some time until you swim for some time then you can only float because your character is too tired to carry on. until he regains his strength above watever you have to wait only floating without moving. The more you swim the longer periods of time your character will be able to swim.

Well how bout if you fall of the edge you zoom back to the edge of the water again.

Thats just stupid.

You swim for some time until you swim for some time then you can only float because your character is too tired to carry on. until he regains his strength above watever you have to wait only floating without moving. The more you swim the longer periods of time your character will be able to swim.

Thats a good idea, works just like the running does. Makes sense too.