Bumping Old Topics?

ok, i kno bumping old topics is against the rules, and im not questioning it or anything, i just want to kno a few things about this rule. here are my questions:

1. How long ago does the last post have to be posted before it is considered an old topic?

2. If the last post is past the date limit, but the topic is at the very top of the page (Top 3-5), is it still considered bumping an old topic?

3. Chris already told me this, but I'll post it here for people who don't know. If our post is a useful contribution, are we allowed to bump the topic? Chris said yes.

ok, i think those 3 questions are all i needed to know. please answer them all. and i need mods to answer them, because i know theyre right, where if a member answers them, god knows where they got their info from. so yeah. i would like to hear the answers from a staff member please. thank you :)

Since I wrote the most recent version of tgtap rules, I'll field an answer. Technically I'm no longer full-time staff, but since I'm here...

1) It depends entirely on the topic and the usefulness of the post. If all you're going to say is "lol" or "yeah me too" then there is no point in replying after a day or two. If the topic is pretty useless, then a week or two is long ago enough for it to be declared old. If its a really useful topic like the GTA4 Wishlist, and that hadn't been posted in for months, perhaps a useful reply would be welcome. If you are unsure, just judge how good your post is, if its one sentence or something short don't bother, if its as long as my point 1 here, then go ahead. If you have a good long post to make, but the topic is a bit spammed already, then go ahead and make a new one. I personally recommend that new members should only post in recent topics, so they get a feel for the atmosphere of these forums. The last thing we want is some new member, with all the best intentions, going round and replying with "lol" to topics two years old, that is the purpose of the bumping rule.

2) This is another good question, but again depends on the usefulness, which is hard for a member to judge. If you come accross a subforum with only old topics in, then the chances are people aren't interested in it anymore. Posting could revive some interest, which is always good, but don't bother making a crap post in a crap topic the highlight of the forums, it won't do your reputation any good. Very old subforums will either be locked (like pre-release discussions) or revived. Speak to an admin if you're still concerned.

3) If your post is a useful contribution to a topic, you are allowed to bump the topic. However, there are many topics and many posts that should not be bumped.If a topic is too old, then just make a new one. If your post is too short, then do not reply to an old topic. It is entirely up to a staff member to make a decision on bumped topics, and they may issue a warning to repeat offenders. Any bumped topics that shouldn't have been bumped will be closed (locked) by a moderator.

Glad to have the opportunity to clear this up, and I hope everyone will understand this obscure and vague rule a bit better.

i dont know about anyone else, but i understand it 100%. thanks xenon :)

you should prolly keep this topic open for a little longer incase other new members have questions.

Agreed.

I do understand the rule 100% now, thanks, as I remember thinking if a 1 Month topic is concidered 'old' and I posted in it and then I was worried that my warning level would go up. But it didn't. Thanks again for making the rule clear to me.

Edited by a gun in your face!

Agreed.

I do understand the rule 100% now, thanks, as I remember thinking if a 1 Month topic is concidered 'old' and I posted in it and then I was worried that my warning level would go up. But it didn't. Thanks again for making the rule clear to me.

Staff control your warn level, it isn't an automated process. As much as I wish it could be, it can't work that way.

###### topics are treated no differently to the rest, except usually ###### topics are actually useful. Some ###### topics have no replies, some are old, and some are recent. If your reply is worth reading then post it, if not then don't. Its unlikely you would be warned for posting in a ###### topic though, since usually its useful. Don't take that to mean that you're immune from being warned, if your post was irrelevant or offensive then you would still be warned.