Liberty City Stories Coming to PS2 - And next GTA PSP is "all new"

Chris

Take2 have just a few minutes ago made another press release for the Fiscal 2005 results. In it they have stated that Liberty City Stories will be released on the Playstation 2 for release in the 2nd quarter (Between April and June).

A new GTA title for the PSP was announced recently, however, the name of it is still unknown. It's been confirmed in this press release that it will be "all-new". Presumably this means a new city, new cars, characters and missions etc.

Additional products expected for fiscal 2006 include the newly announced Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories for PlayStation 2, tentatively planned for release in the second quarter, Bully for PlayStation 2 and Xbox, two new titles for the PSP handheld system, including an all-new Grand Theft Auto, a title based on a new brand for the Xbox 360 and a sequel of a Rockstar brand, all from Rockstar Games; The Da Vinci Code, Prey, and 24: The Game from 2K Games; various other sports titles including NBA 2K7 from 2K Sports; and Family Feud for multiple platforms from Global Star.

View Take2's Fiscal 2005 Results for the full press release.

It really is a waste.

What was that all about the GTAIII trilogy? Coming to an end. I recall Dan Houser saying "we really wanted to get these three games done and finish that storyline". Then LCS comes along for PSP, fine its only a handheld game, we can live with that.

God I hope they don't port it to PC or 360 - that would mean GTA4 (if it exists) would be put back to 2008 really. By then if all R* have done for three years is LCS, then that is a terrible waste of time and resources, and could ruin the Grand Theft Auto reputation.

I'm not saying its a bad game, its amazing as far as handheld consoles go. The thing is, its behind Vice City in terms of size, and roughly equalls it on features. We can say it'll have the same storyline, otherwise they would call it by another name. We were hoping for massive things for the next console game.

Maybe this is part of a big plan from Sony. If they told everyone it was for PSP only, then everybody would buy a PSP. Months later they tell everyone its going to be for PS2 as well.

It looks as if its going to be one of the last important games for PS2 before the PS3 comes out. Perhaps they just wanted to squeeze all the life out of the existing series and software and games and consoles before everything starts afresh for GTA4 and the next-gen consoles.

If that is so, we can expect this to be a quick port to attract a slightly wider audience, make a few sales, before stunning people with GTA4. Lets hope thats how they'll do it.

I said that LCS will not come out only for PSP. And if something is on PS2, it's sure gonna be on PC.

Get this thing: GTA game -> $$$money$$$

So it seems that GTA4 is going to be a bit dissapointing. I just have a bad feeling that R* is starting to act like EA.

But hey, people have to eat something :sick: .

Of course it's all about money. You heard them saying that LCS didn't sell as many copies in the US as expected. So... they just released it on the PS2.. to make money.

I don't see them going to Xbox 360, as it would be wiser to release on the PS2 (the most owned console in North America). I was wondering why Rockstar Leeds was looking for PS2 coders back in November of last year.

When If Rockstar releases a cool bundle to go with LCS.. then it'll sell more. Also I highly believe when they are refering to "Q2", they are refering to fiscall quarters. I have been looking at other press releases, and it seems likely to be so. So in other words then... Feb-April.

Although I still feel it's a bit risky taking the title to the PS2, with the recent Xbox 360 launch and the PS3 to release shortly after LCS PS2 release. The November/December sales drop in current gen games also shows that people are more willing to spend their money on next-gen titles, than current-gen.

I don't want to be negative, but I won't be surprised if we see another GTA Advance phenomena. But hey... Take-Two doesn't have much to loose.

I said that LCS will not come out only for PSP. And if something is on PS2, it's sure gonna be on PC.

Get this thing: GTA game -> $$$money$$$

So it seems that GTA4 is going to be a bit dissapointing. I just have a bad feeling that R* is starting to act like EA.

But hey, people have to eat something :sick: .

NO ONE said anything about GTA4.

I bet this is gonna be the suckage. See how SA has pushed PS2 to the limits. Now R* is gonna make it go a giagantic step backwards. Enviroment LC, so its small. only like 50 vehicles when there are 180 in SA. And some other stuff. I have a question, is R* gonna fix up the textures and graphics to fit the PS2's ability?

Umm, yeah, we'd hope so. Why the hell would they bother putting it on the PS2 if all they were going to do is use the same textures and everything? Talk about ugly looking.....

i'm going to get it to see how it is. heres some things I want to expect:

1. no loading screens between islands

2. more weapons

3. helipcopters/planes

4. climbing walls

5. crouching

6. interiors (other than safehouses)

7. snow regularly (since more diskspace)

8. a few more cars

thats all I really want. I hope they open up that space above Shoreside Vale to or add in like VC or something.

thats all I really want. I hope they open up that space above Shoreside Vale to or add in like VC or something.

It's the same game, it would be stupid to open up something that wasn't open before. Add in VC? Now THAT is just a stupid idea. You just want more stuff in the game. It's called LIBERTY CITY stories.

It would be nice to have a bit of countryside though, they really do need something new to make this game anyway near as good as San Andreas.

Ok, but country side isn't really a common thing in New York unless you leave the city. Even then, I don't think it actually is much of a "country side". You can't just throw any random thing in these games in attempts to make it more or better or whatever. It has to atleast feel like New York.

I think i've cracked it.

If you strecth back to the release of PS2 San Andreas (Oct/Nov 04) you might remember GTA Advance, the crappy GTA game for the Gameboy Advance - that was released just before the Nintendo DS came out (Nov 04) to kick the last life out of the GBA.

I think they're doing the same thing with LCS, only with the PS2 - they're making this one of the last big releases for the PS2, then everyone will get a PS3 shortly after, making money for both Sony (PS2+PS3 sales) and Rockstar (LCS sales). A few weeks after LCS PS2, the PS3 will come out and make everything obsolete.

LCS PS2 is just a quick fundraiser for Sony and Rockstar. No ports to 360 or PC, just something quick inbetween SA and GTA4.

Posted by: Zino

Adriaan - The dates of fiscal years change all the time. Financial years begin in april. It would make sense that they follow calendar dates, eg:

Q1 = Jan, Feb, Mar

Q2 = Apr, May, Jun

Q3 = Jul, Aug, Sep

Q4 = Oct, Nov, Dec

That doesn't make SENSE! Do you even know the fiscal quarters of Take-Two?

Q1 = Nov, Dec, Jan

Q2 = Feb, March, April

Q3 = May, June, July

Q4 = August, Sept, Oct

If you read previous Take-Two press releases you would have noticed that in ALL of them when they refer to "quarters" they are refering to the companies fiscal quarters (seen above). In other words, Feb, March, April. Of course what I just said wasn't worth it, but I tend to correct people when they try to correct me. (sorry :) ).

Ok, but country side isn't really a common thing in New York unless you leave the city. Even then, I don't think it actually is much of a "country side". You can't just throw any random thing in these games in attempts to make it more or better or whatever. It has to atleast feel like New York.

Im talking about "Upstate" or however you spell it. Surely they will expand the map this time. Also, im not very aware of New York and its surrounding areas, I asumed there would be countryside eventually if you keep going away from the city.