Community Regeneration

This is an idea I had with Chris82 ages ago which was started but then when my host died we lost all the files.

The idea is to establish a community role playing hierarchy, like the gangs only much more extended to include a larger area and as a replacement for the IB Store, at least in it's purpose at selling.

Aspects of the system would include:

Automated system supplies certain members which act as warehouses with items for a price, these 'warehouse' members then sell on these items for a cut to distributive vendors who in turn sell it to the genereal public and can make contracts with gangs.

The 'warehouse' members would be limited to selling the items to distributors to stop stockpiling of warehouses in relation to certain gangs who would then have an unfair advantage. Distributors and warehouses would then have a degree of power over who can buy their stock but would still have to be competitive otherwise people would go elsewhere.

This would then encourage a structure and relationships between gangs and organisations. These warehouses and vendors could then be subject to gang attack requiring gang protection charges and so on.

Other options for these warehouses and distributors would be to enforce them with only using one specific type of items, for example, heavy weapons and army selling, light and standard weapons and armor, and then vendors for the forum items. Hospitals could also be put into play.

Another option could also be for properties such such as housing though as of yet I can think of no useful purpose it could serve in this system.

Any ideas on the area?

Okay let me get this right

• Warehouse members supplied with items
  • WH members sell items to vendors
  • Vendors sell to 'public' and contract to gangs
  • Stockpiling prevention
  • Encouraging competition
  • Encouraging relationships
  • WHs + Vs target of gang attacks
  • WHs + Vs can be 'protected' by gangs

That all sounds pretty good. Here's a couple of suggestions from me

• One WH for each type of item (one for weapons, one for vehicles etc)
  • Each vendor must salvage contracts from each WH or as many as they wish to sell their products
  • OR have a couple of WHs for each type of item, requiring a bit of competition
  • OR have multiple members per warehouse, possibly with a 'boss'
  • I think property is a good suggestion, but if they were predefined or not I'm not sure. I just wouldn't want one gang thinking they're better cos they made "the white house" and "buckingham palace"

Property can be used as a status symbol, as well as giving you more of an advantage in a gang war, (you'll have more stuff for others to destroy so you'll last longer).

I actually have no use for vehicles in the system, other than being a status symbol.

I'm going to have a look at a new shop system (if it's been released yet) and install it on my test forum. If it is like IBStore, I can try to port what I've done over to the new shop system. If it isn't it could just mean we don't have a store, at least not for the gang system, and build our own integrated place for buying weapons and the like.

I would like it if I had someone else who knows PHP and can help with the coding. OR (read the next paragraph for details of what you can do or skip to the next one if you aren't interested)

Rather than actually write the PHP code, you can write it all out how it would be done, just in step by step format. For example, this is what you would write out for using a weapon:

1. Click use weapon

2. Show list of properties available to destroy in rival gangs, and click one of them

3. Decide whether the weapon hits or misses. If it misses do this: .... If it hits do this: ....

Ok I think you get the idea its basically like that, then when I'm coding it I can easily see exactly what need to be done.

Ok, Let me update the situation.

first of all, anyone who was interested in coding, IPB 1.3. is quite different to 2.0, and 2.1 has a completely new file structure so if you've got used to one version of IPB we're moving on to IPB 2.1 now so learn that.

The Store

When we upgrade to 2.1.2, we won't have a store for a while. You'll still earn money for posting and stuff, but won't have anywhere to use it.

Phil_b, a member over at invisionize.com is currently coding iStore (Invision Store) which will basically be exactly the same as IBStore (he worked with Outlaw to develop that mod).

I asked Phil if we could have a beta version to use so we can get a store ASAP but he hasn't replied yet.

I'm also hoping that he's using the same stuff from ibstore so everyone keeps their weapons etc.

Once the store is released and we have it installed, I will start coding the gang system around it again, so that it's just like the current one. After this is done, we'll go back to the ideas in this topic and see how we can implement them.

In my opinion a proper store provides an excellent platform for the buying and selling of items. Having a warehouse and stuff might need to be reconsidered, depending on how we get things working and if everybody is satisified with how things work.