SA,2nd edition won't take .IMG mods

Zeuser

I've got the San Andreas 2nd edition (the re-release without the hot coffee) and there's a problem with mods relating to .IMG files.

I tried installing a few new cars (enzo, McLaren F1, M3) and any changes to the GTA3.IMG file causes the game to freeze halfway through the loading bar when starting a new game.

I used IMG tool to replace the .DFF and .TXD files. Example, the Enzo replaces the Euros. After I recompile the file, which takes several minutes, all is fine until I try to run the game.

The game starts up just fine and goes to the menu. When I try to start a new game or load a saved game the load screen comes up and the loading bar freezes halfway through the load process. The music is still running but I can't even shut the game down. I have to power off the PC manually.

I also tried it with SAMI and I get the same results.

The changes to the other files, like Handling.cfg are fine. I simply restore the GTA3.IMG file from my backup and leave the other modded files as-is (modded state) and the game works just fine.

Also, certain .SCM files work and others don't. I forget which one it is, but the one that unlocks San Fiero and Las Venturas works just fine. Another similar one which enables everything (girlfriend in Las Santos, missions completed, gangwar mode) works ok for 30mins-1Hr and then simply crashes to desktop.

Again, keep in mind this is the latest release. The second edition of SA that was just recently put back onto store shelves. The one where the Hot coffee stuff was removed.

I'd really love to get those beautiful car models (Enzo, M3 etc.) into SA. Anybody have a work around or even knows why this is happening at all?

Thanks

:(

I'll try that tonight when I get home.

I did a bit more researching on this topic, yes ... it's a slow day at the office, and I may have some bad news. It seems .IMG file modding is blocked off in the 2nd Edition.

PlanetGTA thread: http://www.forumplanet.com/planetgrandthef...329&tid=1751595

Let me quote what Mercenary had to say:

The second edition, and the patch for the first edition, have the code removed for "hot coffee" mini-game, and also lock the memory in use by SA. It also appears that both also lock the files from tampering or modifing. Get used to this as I feel it will become a trend in video games of the future.

Politics really sucks when it causes something like this, will this be the end of modding? Simular problems with recording/coping copywrited DVD's and other media formats has led to a software lockdown at the OS level. Makes you realize that freedom as we have known it is on the way out the door! At least for electronic media, but what will be next?

If this is indeed the case, you may want to sticky this so other 2nd edition players know they can't mod the .IMG files and add the cool cars,planes,helis,boats etc.

oh snap!

Looks like I'll go searching for a V1 edition instead. Yeah, I know it's not on the shelves so I'll have to go looking for a pirated copy.

Yeah yeah... piracy is bad. I figure I already paid for a legal copy (2nd edition) so they got my money. I just want to have the mods.

And I don't give a flying F**K about the hot coffee mod. That's not why I purchased the game; I knew it was going to be removed but I didn't expect them to block off all the other cool mods.

All I want is those cool downloadable cars!!! :pissedred:

I already said that (1st post). SCM mods, at least the 2 I tried, are working. But the .IMG mod, required for vehicle import, causes the game to lock-up.

I have no idea if external hacking stuff works or not (trainers etc.) cuz I haven't tried that yet.

But I can tell you for sure that the normal procedure to import cars isn't working. And I'm pretty sure I'm doing it the right way. Yes, I have read up on how to import vehicles and operate the tools like SAMI and IMGTOOL.

PS: I'm no noob. Those familiar with the battlefield modding community (bf1942, BF2) should instantly reconnize my name.

Edited by Zeuser

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed rockstar about the modding of GTA:SA Second Edition. Here is their response.

"Thabk you for your e-mail and the answer to your query is yes there is no

known way of been able to modify the game in any way shape or form but

thank you for your e-mail again."

Just thought I should share that with you guys.

Posted by: rhowell

I emailed rockstar about the modding of GTA:SA Second Edition. Here is their response.

mmm..... why do I find that hard to believe? Anyway chris82 I was talking about SAn Andreas V.2 which you can buy in stores, not the 1.1 patch.

Posted by: rhowell

mmm..... why do I find that hard to believe? Anyway chris82 I was talking about SAn Andreas V.2 which you can buy in stores, not the 1.1 patch.

What do you find hard to believe?

BTW.. I just want to come out and say that the whole Hot Coffee thing is so ridiculous. Does Rockstar actually think I purchased GTA:SA for that mod? How about this for example. I just started playing the game, and I come upon a mission (I believe its the "CLEANING THE HOOD" mission), where I have to kill three "ballas". Ok, so my character walks into the "crack den", and what do I see in the background? A hooker blowing some dude. Think about that....

/* End of rant */

BTW, let me know if im out-of-line by ranting about this. Im new.. even though that shouldnt be an excuse.

*EDIT* Oh yeah, I just noticed if you replace the executable with a different version.. like the original version, trainers work.

Edited by rhowell

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Ok I just bought GTA:SA Second edition for PC a few days ago. I go looking for a no-dvd patch for it and I get from everywhere that the SE cannot be modded or use trainers and you cant mess with the .exe they locked the memory......

well I don't know about mods or trainers but they definitely did not lock the memory and since i did find a no-dvd patch (and its not a dvd image) I'm guessing the exe can be changed. As for the memory I have a program called ArtMoney (for those who dont know: it lets you edit the memory of running programs on the PC) and i can edit the memory just fine, gave myself a bunch of cash early in the game. I personally am not very fond of trainers, but if I can change how much money I have with Artmoney then it goes to reason that other things can be changed. Just figured that I would pass on this knowledge to everyone else, as I have not seen any positive posts for modding, trainers and the like.