PSP downgrade available

nickc

Most of you have heard of so-called PSP "downgraders" and none have worked or even existed. Well this one works. PSP 2.0 to 1.5 downgrade! Enjoy!

Go here for the complete story.

#1-Download the downgrader from either here, here or here. Then make sure you get a copy of the original 1.5 firmware upgrader from here here.

#2- Connect your PSP to your computer via USB. On your memory stick, create a folder called UPDATE inside /PSP/GAME/ and place the EBOOT.PBP file from the 1.50 update inside this UPDATE folder.

#3-Unzip MPHDowngrader.zip. Drop overflow.tif into your /PSP/PHOTO/ folder. Put both h.bin and index.dat in the root of your Memory Stick

#4-Disconnect your PSP from your computer and plug in the AC adapter.

#5-Navigate to Photo then Memory Stick via the PSP’s menu system and start scrolling down through your photos until you reach the overflow.tif picture.

You’ll know you’ve hit it when everything freezes and you get a black screen with a bunch of white text output.

If your PSP freezes without going to this black text screen, then hold the power button for about 10 seconds until the PSP shuts down, then hit the power button again to start it back up. Repeat this step until you get that black screen.

#6-Don’t panic. Hold the power button for about 10 seconds until the PSP powers off. Hit the power button again. Your PSP will start up, and if you navigate to your System Information, you’ll discover that your PSP thinks it is running version 1.0 of the firmware. It isn’t and you cannot run homebrew (yet).

#7-Navigate to Game—>Memory Stick, hit the X button, and navigate to the 1.5 updater. Make sure you have your PSP plugged in or the upgrade won’t work. Click the X button and update like you normally would. At the end of the upgrade you will receive an error saying that the upgrade failed and to contact Sony. Don’t panic. Ignore this and again force your PSP to power off and reboot.

#8-After the PSP reboots you will receive an error screen that is scary and confusing because it is in multiple languages. Don’t panic. Find the language you can understand and read the corresponding line. It notes that your preferences are fragged and that you need only hit the O button to restore some default-ish settings. Hit the O button.

#9-The PSP will start back up and you will go through the initial setup like the day when you first bought your PSP. Do so and then go to the system info pane again, where you will see that you are rocking version 1.5. Run homebrew at will.

Try NOT hitting the O button at the error screen, and instead pull the battery. If yours starts up without getting an error again, you may have found out that you can keep the browser. If you do the battery pull thing, make sure you unplug the AC adapter first; otherwise, the PSP may still work, but you won't be able to run it off of the AC or charge your battery any more via the plug.

If it freezes before you get to the pic and you get a black screen with some white text at the top (pictured above), then good. That's exactly what is supposed to happen. Go on to the next step. If it simply freezes, then force the PSP power off and try again until you get that black screen with white text goodness.

If you still want the features that 2.00 has, don't worry. Most of these features have been hacked into long ago and are available on the internet if you half search. I suggest you go here to find PSP downloads.

If you don't want to upgrade your PSP version every time to play a new game which requires you to upgrade, i suggest you go here to download "No Update" which allows you to play these games without having to upgrade.

Edited by nickc

I was SO close to closing this and telling you the topic already existed... Then I realised I hadn't posted it here! WTF!?

BTW, no one seems interested in the PSP 2.0 hacks over here. Just check out my two topics. Both have no replies. Your two topics. Both have no replies.

Besides, this came out on Tuesday((my birthday)).

Well the only reason I would do this is to fool Sony so that if I needed to use my warrenty, I could, but I suppose I'll just wait until firmware 2.5.

What!? Why!? NO! NO! NO! Do NOT upgrade until they crack the version you're upgrading to! Sony is already working on a new version because of the downgrader. Let them crack 2.0! Don't fall for Sony's tricks and lies! :pissed:

I was SO close to closing this and telling you the topic already existed... Then I realised I hadn't posted it here! WTF!?

BTW, no one seems interested in the PSP 2.0 hacks over here. Just check out my two topics. Both have no replies. Your two topics. Both have no replies.

Besides, this came out on Tuesday((my birthday)).

Yeah i beat Spaz at his own game!! :drool:

Well at least when I get a PSP I know that I can rely on Spaz and nickc to tell me wtf to do. Hopefully you'll stay around here nick ;)

Tis a great source to have around. It means when I post PSP news, there's one more person who will read it. And it means I won't have to post very much PSP news((here atleast)) because there's someone else to do it for me.