Phishing

Chris

Recently my own server became a victim of someone phishing, this resulted in hundreds of emails being sent out to ebay members looking as if they had come from my server.

This was annoying until this morning (well it was 4am here) when LayeredTech (the company I lease my server from) contacted me about abuse - one of these people who received a fake email supposedly from ebay had forwarded it to the abuse email, which is not a problem as that's what should be done...

Anyway I was obviously asleep at that time and then at around 5.30am they disconnected my server as I hadn't replied within the timeframe...

So...I get on my computer at 11am this morning and see shit loads of emails (thousands of them). I get LayeredTech to reconnect my server so I can sort things out and everything's OK now...

It's just it was so pointless...In this particular case it was always a Lose-Lose situation. The person abusing scripts to send out these false emails was just wasting his own time. And the people receiving the emails just caused them hassle. No party gained anything out of it- The false emails weren't even asking for passwords or anything.

I hate phishing. :thumbsdown:

Here's a pic I took of my gmail account, I had at least twice as much as this though by the time it had stopped :pissedred:

post-2-1124900301.gif