San Andreas banned in Australia

Adriaan

gtasabannedaus.jpg

Yep mate, it's banned. As of today you won't find a single copy of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, the PS2, Xbox and PC version in Australian shops. The Office of Film and Literature Classification said in a statement sales of the game are outlawed and they have stripped it of its official classification after learning of the explicit content.

Revocation of a classification means the computer game cannot be legally sold, hired, advertised or exhibited in Australia from the date the decision is made.[29 July 2005]

So if you happen to live in Aus and didn't buy the game yet, then you're out of luck. Just remember that this doesn't mean that Liberty City Stories or any other new Grand Theft Auto will be banned in the country. San Andreas was only banned due to the fact it had sexual content on it.

*UPDATE* Take 2 has just released a press release confirming the ban. They also mention that the European version's rating won't be affected in any way and will keep it's 18+ rating.

Not illegal I don't think, for the love of god, I mean if you hack into something and find unused bits of code, then take the time to make them work how is that explicit content, it's just stupid. Sure I could make a mod for sa that has lesbians shagging on the street corners, would that then ban sa?

...in the US..its like almost banned......i already have it, but like, no stores want to sell an AO game.... whenever i happen to be in a store, its not there.......its basicly banned from stores...

Oh man, I feel sorry for people living in Australia!

Dont be cos as far as i know its not banned i've been to quite a few video game stores and video rental stores and its on the shelf .... not to worry for me anyways since i got myself a copy ages ago. i havnt seen anything on the news or in the papers or other gaming fanatics in australia about the game being banned.

I have no idea why you are still saying it got banned in australia for it hasnt. Trust me i live in Melbourne and i got proof.

Today as i was setting home from work waiting for my tram(Street Cart) i looked up on a tram that had stopped to pick up passengers and noticed a Advertisment for GTA - SA now on xBox now if the game had been banned then there wouldnt be advertisments saying you can now buy it on xBox. These Tram advertisments are changed Monthly if not weekly so i doubt that these advertisments are out of date.

I seriosly doubt that advertisements for the game would still be floating around if it was banned.

THe GTA SA game was hugely popular here and it is possible the game has sold out at certain stores. But i still go by its not banned based on advertisments and general Window SHopping. i work in the City and i walk past alot of shops on the way. If need be i will take my digital camera at some point in time and photograph it either on a shelf or on an advertisement. But i dont think i will have to.

http://www.oflc.gov.au/content.html?n=44&p...o&record=197527

Im sure if the game was banned here this page would say so.

The page simply says that This game is rated MA 15+ Rescricted which means by australian laws that this game cannot be Bought, Hired, Viewed, PLayed by peoples who are not 15+ Years of age. It simply is resctricted from peoples under the age of 15 and anyone caught selling this product to underage kids can be prosecuted.

Much like smokes and alcohole

Edited by ProudAussie

Like I said in the forum about it beign danned here in NZ Why don't they just add to the GTA:SA rating "R18 contains violence, offensive language and sex scenes" it would make it so much more simpler. BTW if anyone in Australia wanted GTA:SA they could just import 1 from here in NZ and just pay around NZ$80 for the game and NZ$10 for P :yup::coolthumbup:

• 2 weeks later...