Guide to site success

mvi

gtapss.gif

There must be thousands of GTA sites across the globe, this guide is how to distinguish your site and make it stand out.

gtapdomains.gif

This is the first part of your site the users will see and in a large number of cases it will define whether the user will come back. The following are likely to be avoided because of the plain tackiness and widespread use.

Domain cloaks such as .tk

subdomains or /domains on widespread free hosts.

s#.CRAPPY IF SITE/domain

Unless you have some exceptional content and a nice design people probably won't come back to the site.

gtaphosting.gif

Once you've got people onto your site, it's the hosting that matters, the five things that are really important on hosting are as follows, bandwidth, space, FTP access, PHP, MySQL.

The bandwidth is the limit of the total downloaded content of your site, for instance if you have a main page which is about 200kb in size and 10 gig bandwidth, you can have 50000 viewers in a month.

The space is the ammount of storage you can use on your site, so a 512 meg limit allows upto a total of 512 meg in files, though actually quite often a fewmeg are taken up by CP files.

FTP access allows you to use a FTP client such as smartFTP, turboFTP and cuteFTP to transfer bulk files, do edits and generally use your storage in an explorer like way.

PHP is a very poweful language, this entire site is coded in php and so are every IPB forum. PHP really has two sides, the side you can see in your browser by viewing the source - generally html, and the actual source code which can do many things such as detection, file inclusion and complicated formulae.

MySQL is basically a database system, all the members on this forum, all the posts, topics and categories, pretty much everything are stored in this database.

So just to recap you want a high bw, high space and the other 3 enabled.

gtapforums.gif

Forums are a great way to keep users coming back, the key to getting lots of people to register is all in the look and features. A nice skin, lots of mods and well thought out categories and forums. Also the best for forums has got to be IPB 1.3 or 2.0

gtapdesign.gif

Designs in my view are important on a site, they can help draw the users eyes to certain points and present your content well, the nicer the design, the easier it is on the eye and your visitors will begin to like the site even without the content yet...

gtapcontent.gif

Content, if you want people to use it as their number one place you need lots of content, and the best sort of content is unique content. There are many sites which have similar content. The things below are on 10s of sites, best to get something else.

Introduction

Our Reviews

Characters

Vehicles

Weapons

Tips And Tricks

Maps

Radio

Dating

Easter Eggs

Gangs

Gang Wars

Car Mods

PS2 Cheats

PC Cheats

Xbox Cheats

Official Screenshots

Picture Perfect

mini games

odd jobs

checklists

respect

storyline

swimming

weapon skill

eating

clothes

artwork

trailers

pc specs

soundtrack

properties and assets

snapshots

horseshoes

oysters

tags

unique jumps

gtapconclusion.gif

Done everything, used the tips? Then your site is well on the way to acheiving more than a bulk of others.

The deserves PINNAGE. Awesomeness. I can't stress enough that GTA IF boards always suck. And actually, .TK is pretty good. It's URL masking, without gay crap like http://go.to/domain. That's just stupid. And you can get actual .TK domains, the domain masks are the free ones.

Either way .TK doesn't work for me, or a few of my friends. Weird.

that's a good point, which I forgot but I don't think the post needs updating as the .tk is mentioned in a domain cloaks line, actual true .tk domains would be a tad better than the tk domain cloaks but would also be burdened with the false belief that the site is just a cloak.