Now 20 YEARS of Modern Computing

BlackListedB

Cnet magazine IIRC, latest issue covers in brief, the most notable advances in 20 years to now, 2015, since 1995, think of it, I mentioned before, but it's safe to say Windows 95 and Intel Pentium, 200 and over Mhz processing ushers in the modern advent of computing, and all evolutions since are re-thinking those 20 years of electronic advancements.... and since April, 10 years of YouTube!!

Hell, yeah! I am celebrating YouTube a bit late with some new comments there tonight! Look for it! haha

Oh, and AMD fans, remember ONE SOCKET TO RULE THEM ALL!!! (???), yes, for a time, one socket could allow AMD or Intel,... or OTHER

Edited by BlackListedB

Guest MarlenesFutureDad

Cnet magazine IIRC, latest issue covers in brief, the most notable advances in 20 years to now, 2015, since 1995, think of it, I mentioned before, but it's safe to say Windows 95 and Intel Pentium, 200 and over Mhz processing ushers in the modern advent of computing, and all evolutions since are re-thinking those 20 years of electronic advancements.... and since April, 10 years of YouTube!!

Hell, yeah! I am celebrating YouTube a bit late with some new comments there tonight! Look for it! haha

Oh, and AMD fans, remember ONE SOCKET TO RULE THEM ALL!!! (???), yes, for a time, one socket could allow AMD or Intel,... or OTHER

The computing scene was a lot better 20 years ago. Back then, PC games were actually works of art instead of crap that people play when they feel that they're "above and beyond the need to play console games." Everyone didn't have their vacation photos or their banking information on the computer so they could just us it to play Tetris and King's Quest III all day if they wanted to. Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest weren't around to force the computer geek to be social back in 1995 and everything didn't have to be done via e-mail.

Digital photography, social networking and "movies in the cloud" are the things that made computing decline from its zenith in 1995 to a dump for the lowest common denominator in 2015. Windows 95 NEVER asked you to update your Adobe Flash every 30 days and Java was ALWAYS included in Microsoft Internet Explorer version 4.0. I still believe that people can live their lives to the fullest without the Internet, e-mail or tablet computers and those people are the people who I admire in today's culture.

If I could go back to a circa 1995 computer and buy a bunch of DOS/Windows 95 games on the cheap, I would be happy even if I could never access the Internet ever again.

I'd disagree with your tongue in cheek assessment in all seriousness, partly correct to some degree. Digital Photography is literally HALF the picture, if not one third, considering the birth of David Paul Gregg's optical disc medium (RIP), The optical disc was analog until the 5 inch shrink ushered in PCM digital Red Book aka 16bit CD audio we use even today to a lesser degree then Mpeg audio. (includes Mpeg2 and 3 and 4, By the way)

Digital photography had less controversy in it's growth period then digital video I'd say, partly held back by Copy protection interests, others felt the early efforts showed off glaring problems with pixelation, and this is true of both still and moving video and picture varieties. With the advent of acceptance now being 4K Ultra High Definition, we enter an era where DIGITAL FACSIMILE is more vibrant then the analog capturing of the same, to a degree where it's VERY hard to tell the difference!

Two key points where digital video fails and falls on it's face, DARK shades of gray, moving fast frames at times, and most glaringly, STROBE light effects, staging concerts for example, concert lighting can wreak havok with digital HD and SD. So don't discard analog hardware completely.

It's evolution only to one extent or another is kind of sad, but also offers particular high end professional and consumer devices that show it's strengths at the best it can be!

Hats off to the bodies of industry who have worked as the JOINT pictures group, what Mpeg and Jpeg are, Joint Pictures Experts Group and Motion Picture Experts Group, industry experts looking for approval for standards that can be shared and NON PROPRIETARY

Edited by BlackListedB

• 1 month later...
Guest MarlenesFutureDad

I'd disagree with your tongue in cheek assessment in all seriousness, partly correct to some degree. Digital Photography is literally HALF the picture, if not one third, considering the birth of David Paul Gregg's optical disc medium (RIP), The optical disc was analog until the 5 inch shrink ushered in PCM digital Red Book aka 16bit CD audio we use even today to a lesser degree then Mpeg audio. (includes Mpeg2 and 3 and 4, By the way)

Digital photography had less controversy in it's growth period then digital video I'd say, partly held back by Copy protection interests, others felt the early efforts showed off glaring problems with pixelation, and this is true of both still and moving video and picture varieties. With the advent of acceptance now being 4K Ultra High Definition, we enter an era where DIGITAL FACSIMILE is more vibrant then the analog capturing of the same, to a degree where it's VERY hard to tell the difference!

Two key points where digital video fails and falls on it's face, DARK shades of gray, moving fast frames at times, and most glaringly, STROBE light effects, staging concerts for example, concert lighting can wreak havok with digital HD and SD. So don't discard analog hardware completely.

It's evolution only to one extent or another is kind of sad, but also offers particular high end professional and consumer devices that show it's strengths at the best it can be!

Hats off to the bodies of industry who have worked as the JOINT pictures group, what Mpeg and Jpeg are, Joint Pictures Experts Group and Motion Picture Experts Group, industry experts looking for approval for standards that can be shared and NON PROPRIETARY

It's one thing to do digital photography through a laptop or desktop computer where the games are actually decent and you can play for three hours after you do your photo session, but the crappy games they have on the Google Play for tablet computers just isn't worth it to do anything else but look at websites and play crappy Bejeweled Blitz clones and cheesy looking slot machines.

Sure, there are arcade and console emulators that you can download on Google Play for the tablets but you can't properly control most of these games unless you're using an external gamepad hooked up to a USB cable. Even though digital photography is a cheap knock-off of traditional film photography, everybody seems to like it even thought they know that the invention of photography preceded the invention of the personal computer.

Racing games are a nightmare to play on the tablet computer, some shooting games don't work because you need two controllers to calibrate the game while some newer action and fighting games slow down to a crawl on an Android tablet computer. I believe that when it comes to gaming, the console systems and personal computers are here to stay.

• 3 weeks later...

On Decades TV (CBS over the air digital SD) Their hour long weekday retrospective touched on the coin op arcade one day last month, among a number of tech reports coinciding with history, that report marked the end of popularity for the coin up (quarters, anyone) era in gaming, to which you may think where have they gone?? Well, rec rooms for one thing, and amusement arcades do still exist in limited number. If you reside outside of the USA, please comment on your local area's arcade presence, it'd be interesting to note.

The reason I bring it to mind is that the coin op is the original ROLLS ROYCE method of gaming, all home attempts from the 70s to the 1990s were living in their mighty shadow, but the allure for home gaming was destined to move the popularity elsewhere. There will NEVER be a substitute for the premium gaming experience, or other