Spam botting...

Invasion of the spam bots! . (I'm noticing the same elsewhere, at least very odd new sign on member names, and I think for our GTAC forum, we simply won't allow anyone to come up with abitrary user names that have no English meaning in the real world. That way avoiding confusion entirely.

I see the postings still here, we had our webmaster locking rather then deleting threads, his reasoning is that all user content adds to website activity that looks good on paper, but to me it's an absolute eye sore, can't stand it.

Regardless of website hits or activity, if it's garbage, it's garbage! haha

Wanted to comment on that, just so you know my feelings. I got some YouTube comments the other day came out of nowhere, and just wisked them away thanks to Google's management for accounting there, blocking and deleting made very easy to do. 

Some of the sign ons we got, even though they're suspect as to authenticity, nothing was posted, so we left them as members who signed on, but I still have serious misgivings about whether they are interested in Grand Theft Auto, gaming, or anything, really

Chris has been taking care of that problem over the past few months. He did install an update to IPB that can snuff out spammers based on blacklist records from Stop Forum Spam and elsewhere, although as we noticed there are some who still slip from the cracks.

Restricting registrations would be a pain in the ass, if that's what you like to suggest.

The best way to 100% block these kinds of registrations usually require some custom programming. My brother's website had the same problem when it was first opened, and the months that followed, but have since been 100% eliminated. From what I understand, he built what he called a signup gateway, that does all sorts of checks and balances, and adds the user to the database, then block registrations through the forum's signup page. If things get bad I can give the TGP's (is that the acronym you guys use for this place?) admin his email address, to share notes..

• Like 1

The best way to 100% block these kinds of registrations usually require some custom programming. My brother's website had the same problem when it was first opened, and the months that followed, but have since been 100% eliminated. From what I understand, he built what he called a signup gateway, that does all sorts of checks and balances, and adds the user to the database, then block registrations through the forum's signup page. If things get bad I can give the TGP's (is that the acronym you guys use for this place?) admin his email address, to share notes..

In my case I mostly use Stop Forum Spam and Bad Behaviour for snuffing out unwanted registrations on my sites. It sure works well, although I seem to have made it a bit of a Fort Knox of sorts.

And yes, it can be a pain to have them pollute not only your SQL databases, but also your statistic logs, too.

Filters include hidden text or numbers using HTML script that a spambot that's automated without a human brain cannot detect, but as an Admin myself, I'll look up questionable IP to help get an idea of the source. Having need for a contact, address, phone, etc. However, I'm against texting confirmation since my phone itself won't support that in a data plan unless I paid a premium for it, unwilling to do that just to have my credentials confirmed for online forums, etc.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Noticed GTAChronicles plagued with non-USA spambots, some trying to pass by me with English postings, but nothing worthwhile being said, and recent attempts to host illegal movie downloads. 

Trying to get help with this, if you looked, you notice Mike (our webmaster) posted recently about a board update pending, a reworked visual interface that was due to more or less coincide with GTA V, we're a bit behind, but hopefully if he's going through with that, it puts us in better shape to combat the cyberattack bitches!

If you look presently, might see a white error screen that reads;

Not Acceptable

An appropriate representation of the requested resource / could not be found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request

This just came up while I was making some edits, no ACP changes, so it's something of a surprise

Edited by BlackListedB

Hey guys, an update, GTAChronicles is still having load issues or browser issues, I hear, but it loads up with repeated attempts or waiting it out in some cases. All the new joins except the one requested are Russian spam bots, I see a few got past the gates here at TGTAP, wish I could send them over to GTAForums for good measure nuisance, but such is life, the underdog has to pay the dues! hahaha

Anyway, if you can't get on, try again. I know we mirror a lot of what you can find already, but I actually keep busy just maintaining some sort of order over there. I wish I could tackle some reviews for all the new games coming out, but I'm still limited in what I can buy and even though I have to save for new consoles like the rest of you, I have my doubts over games catering to both old and new consoles. I would like to try Assassin's Creed IV since it seems it's a step up from AC III no matter how you slice it, but when I get what I want from Rockstar games and Uncharted not sure where I go for a fix next. The FPS war simulators aren't really my fix for gaming, but they do look good, and by and large, the popularity rarely wanes on those franchises.

New Forza out, anyone like that one?

As for what to do on-topic, We'll look at ideas to re-host or change hosts if possible, my hands are really tied though, since I'm not the webmaster, but hopefully we can evolve further and not stay so stagnant.

GTA is out, we know what we were to expect now, but it's still evolving, GTAOnline offers a lot of game for the money, and GTA SP can still be altered via DLC so we'll see where Rockstar takes us next

Sorry if I bump more then once, but the spambot onslaught ain't lettin' up yet. We got 'em here as well. I found one case where an IP ban didn't seem to work, so I reverted to banning the user name, that seems odd, over here we have Japanese scripted linked spam, the bot was on at the same time I was here, reported it. I will likely get frowned upon for even posting in any threads they resurrect, just want to alert you guys, I know the drill from the many years at GTAForums, but I always check in to see "what's crackin'?"

Edited by BlackListedB

An update, even with IP and name banning on my forum available, I keep having to ban both IP addresses and user names for one offending Spambot, this is especially troublesome, as I think who ever uses a non-personal ISP or terminal is getting around these stipulations, and perhaps sharing their find with other 'bots', I had over 15 pages of bans and deletes last week, and I had a whole forum page of deletes in 24 hours, this is more annoying then anything I can think of!

I wonder if Chris is dealing with the same numbers or less, and how long these expected spam attacks might last????