GTAV Shipped 29 Million Units in First 6 Weeks

Chris

Take Two released its second quarter 2014 earnings report today, in it they revealed that they've sold-in (shipped to retailers) 29 million units of GTA V so far in the first 6 weeks. To put things in perspective, this is more copies than GTA IV sold-in in its entire lifetime.

The press release went on to mention more records, including those we posted about last month:

We believe Grand Theft Auto V is the fastest-selling entertainment release in history, grossing over $ 800 million in retail sales during the first 24 hours after launch and over $ 1 billion in only three days. Grand Theft Auto V became available for digital download through the PlayStation Network on the day of release and became the biggest release ever on the platform. In addition, the Games on Demand release of the title on Xbox LIVE became the highest grossing day 1 and week 1 release in the platform’s history.

For most games, breaking the 1 million sales figure is a HUGE achievement, for Rockstar this would have been an unmitigated disaster. Today's announcement means that GTAV is now placed 7th on the list of best-selling games of all time.

Impressive stuff.

I think I was watching CNBC financial news a few hours ago, and along the crawl they showed the Take Two Interactive stock trading around .40 to .51 a share " ^ " up.

However, no actual live reporting on it. Apple's shares were down for the day, as were Facebook and Microsoft as I recall. IBM stocks were trading up based on their "Buy Back" extension offer