Have a 747 crash in front of you :)

LaurieX

(If there's a tips & tricks section here, feel free to move this! This didn't really fall under 'Gameplay') :)

For many years I've had this recurring dream of planes falling out of the sky, huge commercial airliners, crashing just far enough away from me that it doesn't kill me. And after messing around a little, I actually lived it! In GTA Land, anyway.

The outcome: Watch a 747 (for more awe-inspiring results) come straight at your character, and crash really close to you (or ON you, if your aim is good!)

Steps to reproduce: I put Michael up in a 747 (can be easily grabbed from the airport once your character has purchased a hangar there), and put him up in the air over Los Santos. Then switched to Franklin, who was, during the 12 or so times I tried this, either at the beach doing pullups, or at home in the hills washing his car. While Michael's plane is sorta hanging in a suspended state, I had Franky get on his bike and rude up to the Vinewood sign (anywhere open is fine). I took the 'spine' of the hills and ended up under the 'N' of the sign. Have Franklin get out of his car, and aim his view south, toward the city. Switch back to Michael, who apparently hasnt moved in all that time, and make a bee-line for the 'N' of the Vinewood sign.

When you get close enough, you can switch back to Franklin. But thing is, Michael's plane has to be REALLY close to Franklin for this to work. If Mike's still too far away, you'll see the big 747 flash for a split second. (Unless you're still REALLY far away). Yeah, point is, Mikey's plane has to be maybe 100 feet away before you switch to Frank. That'll be just enough time to either see the plane crash in front of you, ON you, or fly right over your head and crash behind you.

Aiming that huge sucker's a bit tricky, because you'll need to adjust the plane's altitude each time ya switch to it....like in my case, I needed to aim the plane down to the ground. But every time I switched back to the plane, it was leveled again. So standing on the side of a hill helped a lot, since I could fly the plane into the dirt without nosing down.

Anyway, I thought this was kinda neat, so figured I'd share. I've been having fun trying to find different ways to make the protags interact (in ways they werent meant to) :P Also, the plane and the characters you use are optional. :)

I started a topic for tips and tricks while waiting for GTA 5's release, I believe. Anyway, watched maybe two videos of GTAOnline to get an idea of how people are playing in it right now, a lot of stunting, in one video segment a jumbojet dives down over a freeway and a car flips over up by it's left wing, however, it just seemed to 'pop' up into the air and was not really touching the freeway, as the plane flew over, might have been bad YT visuals or editing that made it hard to catch, but it looked like a glitch within GTAO that shouldn't happen as it appeared. Just in the physicality of how the game World should emulate the real world in the way GTA is evolving, I think it's perhaps a flaw that shouldn't be there.

Hard to follow a lot of what I saw up on YouTube in context if you're just watching rather then trying it out as well.

I'll just mention as far as Single Player, I've been using the cell phone save on the spot option, and when I pick up the game, so far, the character I was playing with last resumes in that same location I saved via the phone, and that's one way of avoiding the unexpected. Your experience may vary, I suppose

Edited by BlackListedB

You can fly anything in the airport except for the two-engine commercial jets (Boeing 737s), which are apparently immoveable scenery. For the big jumbos, just stand underneath it, right behind the nose gear, and press the enter vehicle button :)

I had a feeling something like this might be easier to coordinate in GTAO, but my very short experience in GTAO absolutely did not leave me wanting more. I was unable to complete the tutorial, as I was gunned down, run down, beaten down, chewed up, spit out, over and over before I came anywhere near completing it. I promptly returned to Single Player where I was able to once again assume my role as Queen of Los Santos. :D

Might try again later, when my self-esteem is rebuilt.

I'll just mention as far as Single Player, I've been using the cell phone save on the spot option, and when I pick up the game, so far, the character I was playing with last resumes in that same location I saved via the phone, and that's one way of avoiding the unexpected. Your experience may vary, I suppose

I've saved my own skin as well with this numerous times, sometimes keeping several save slots, to go "back in time" to various points....but this isn't 100% reliable in the way you describe it. There are times when reloading that particular save 5 or 6 times will cause a few minor pieces of data to get left out...in some cases, the vehicle you were in. I've gone back to a previous quick-saved game in which I was waaaay up in a plane, only to find my plane was gone, leaving a Free-Falling Franklin to either enter the Invincibility cheat code before eating dirt, or spend the $5,000 to respawn. Other times I'd reload only to find Trevor eating from a trash can, Michael pretending to be uninterested in the prostitutes' advances, or Franklin washing his car. To avoid this, I'll try and re-quick-save after every couple of reloads...but only if I'm in a vehicle I really don't want to lose; otherwise I don't really care where I end up. :)

Edited by LaurieX

Wow, apparently I can't edit my above post (again). Hmm! Perhaps I can only edit my most recent post?

A quick addendum I just remembered, regarding Quick Save. It seems like reloading a quick-save and finding your vehicle gone seems to happen more often when you don't quick-save while in the road, but even then, there's a chance it might not really be gone!

I quick-saved as Michael in the driveway of the country club, right before I purchased it. I was driving a tricked-out Cheetah. I only reloaded once, only to find my car was gone. I wrote it off, made a quick investment to recoup my losses (investing 1.2 billion into any stock can bring a one- to two-million dollar profit.) I hadn't gotten around to buying another Cheetah, being miffed at losing the first one... and by chance, many days later, I checked the Police Impound just to see what was there, and oh look...there's my Cheetah! Still a bit confused as to how the Impound works...how it decides which cars go in there, when, and how many it saves, what it does when it reaches the total's limit..

I was first entering the airport with failed attempts to fly, but while trying to evade capture, I noted you could drive into landing jets, as I used to do in GTA IV to cause the pursuing forces to crash, while I sped off successfully putting them behind me, and normally in GTA IV, those aircraft are solid pre-scripted flights up and down on the air field. In this case, however, the plane took damage and broke up and exploded (IIRC), nice change from GTA IV there, also someone (R*?) on Newswire mentioned using the Wind Farm for evasion tactics from airborn pursuing forces, I just don't see that being too easy to do though!

Regarding Saves and Resume differences, I think you'd have to see how this varies with all sorts of user feedback, as well as numerous different personal settings (where and when and what inventory) you have on your own game to see if there's conformity, there maybe things that are just part of how the coding works that it misses data as you suspect. It's like running away from an angry gang mob, not too far, you turn around and return and there's no sign of them anymore! I think this is something of a detriment in the latest game, that trying to advance GTA IV to V somehow didn't go smooth. But again, many people are complaining about GTAO versus the SP experience, and I feel like I've complained enough as well! I'm not swearing off the game for it's shortcomings

Note again about the EDIT button of these forums, you can leave the web page and come back, but you have only about 30 to 60 minutes to edit your post before it becomes set in stone, keep that in mind, it's just how this site format works I guess

Edited by BlackListedB