Xbox 360 - Freezing and Storage Problem (Solution)

M3shyS

Banner1.jpg

If you are having the problem of 'alert - can not read install data from hard drive, please re-install if this occurs' or gta v freezes during the first mission, every 5-30 minutes etc. I know them both - I have a old white arcade 20Gb console and I know solutions.. without using a usb or buying a new hard drive! (Btw I am mainly a pc guy)

Xbox support have issued the following recommendation, although I would ignore the second disc install.

Delete all GTA 5 game data.

Clear system cache three times.

Delete marketplace data from storage system items.

Unplug console for three minutes.

Install disc 1.

Power off, do not insert disc 2.

Restart.

Install disc 2.

Play.

This was posted by a fellow xbox ambassador of mine on the xbox forums. This solution works, I can not stress how much system cache needs to be cleared - and power off after installed disk 1.

If you're install is fine - then you need to clear system cache 3 times and marketplace data - then come back to the xbox in five minutes (worked for me).

This method has solved BOTH of the problems indicated with the white arcade 2006-2008 edition xbox 360's (early adopters of xbox here!) 

Storage reading data failure

Freezes (at any point of game, if not on first mission just clear system and marketplace data, don't normally need a full re-install but in some cases you will)

Note: Do not install the second disk 2 to the hard drive - or same storage device as GTA V. I have not installed the second disk personally and the game runs fine. Also deleting old games you never played/ or play any more generally helps - it helped me. Or at least some old save files (not everything is needed)!

Q.1: How to clear system cache?

A: Press y when selected on the storage device, then click clear system cache.. this should be the same if you just delete from the system items.

Any more questions? Comment it below, you will receive a reply within 24 hours!

If this post has helped you guys, let me know! :D

Enjoy playing GTA V!

Also: if a admin/mod wants to pin this, feel free to keep it pinned until they release a patch (if they do, that is!).

Edited by M3shyS

Disc two for Xbox is merely to stream off of, and to have in your system as an anti-piracy prerequisite I believe, I doubt companies ever come out and say it, but as far as you having the physical game on a disc (ownership remains theirs of the content within) the system can verify an original disc and pass that info along when connected. I didn't see an option to fully load both discs to HDD

Disc two for Xbox is merely to stream off of, and to have in your system as an anti-piracy prerequisite I believe, I doubt companies ever come out and say it, but as far as you having the physical game on a disc (ownership remains theirs of the content within) the system can verify an original disc and pass that info along when connected. I didn't see an option to fully load both discs to HDD

Kind of, but not entirely. Disk two is not for anti-piracy, it's just xbox's limitations, each disk is limted to 8gb, and the data on the disk is more than this, however ps3 can have much more on each disk, just blu-ray vs hd dvd.

And yes it is to stream of off - which is why I never installed it.

Piracy will always be haunting game devs, especially as one as big as Rockstar, however they wouldn't do it for that, and I'm pretty sure the pirated edition would probably already be out for both - PS3 and Xbox's that have been hacked (but no online for you, suckers!) Either way, they will release the game on the XBL marketplace where it will be one gtav file, and that could easily be hacked (if it hasn't already) with the multiple tools that people can use these days.

Also, there may be a freezing problem again for people trying to enter gta v online on the 360, but just again clear system cache 3 times, turn off - turn back on and repeat until it doesn't freeze when accessing the online character maker, it may take a maximum of 5 tries. Took me two tries.

Cheerio!

HD-DVD even though supported by Microsoft as an external USB device was never implemented for data, so it's funny you should include that now in your comment. I do believe HD-DVD could have supported data increases as it does just for audio and video data, but it's Toshiba's baby adopted by it's business partners. Sony as well can't take all the credit for BluRay's adoption, but because of making it standard issue for Playstation, as PS2 did with DVD before, it certainly had a major role to play. I still believe anti-piracy is a non-discussed point to requiring a disc in a system as you play. It may not be an all important reason since digital download and HDD storage are now making more inroads to adoption then before, but in days past I believe so.

On top of somewhat more stringent COA confirmation. I believe the DRM of Xbox One and eliminating used games was rather self-serving of the Industry, as well as Adobe's move to discontinue ALL boxed editions of CS. (Creative Suite for Photoshop) This model doesn't really benefit consumers in a way they'd be overly enthusiastic about. Still, you bring up useful points, so this is some additional take-away info. Food for thought

HD-DVD even though supported by Microsoft as an external USB device was never implemented for data, so it's funny you should include that now in your comment. I do believe HD-DVD could have supported data increases as it does just for audio and video data, but it's Toshiba's baby adopted by it's business partners. Sony as well can't take all the credit for BluRay's adoption, but because of making it standard issue for Playstation, as PS2 did with DVD before, it certainly had a major role to play. I still believe anti-piracy is a non-discussed point to requiring a disc in a system as you play. It may not be an all important reason since digital download and HDD storage are now making more inroads to adoption then before, but in days past I believe so.

On top of somewhat more stringent COA confirmation. I believe the DRM of Xbox One and eliminating used games was rather self-serving of the Industry, as well as Adobe's move to discontinue ALL boxed editions of CS. (Creative Suite for Photoshop) This model doesn't really benefit consumers in a way they'd be overly enthusiastic about. Still, you bring up useful points, so this is some additional take-away info. Food for thought

True that, I'm no really expert on what formats Xbox 360's supported.. as I'ma more of a steam pc, gamer. Just I prefer playing all Call of Duty's and GTA's on consoles, don't ask me why: I don't really know. Only tried GTA SA for pc, ran fine however never tried CoD or any other GTA on pc, saying that,but it can really run most games on the 'high' if not, medium settings at 30 fps+. One game I did enjoy playing on pc vs xbox 360 was Mafia II, fun.However saying this, I think MS really need to make the console's more stable with the issues I raised, as this is not Rockstar's fault, although they have to fix this, if it was an easy one.. believe me it would be out by now along with the GTA online update.

Well, not to knock Xbox360 for at least adopting a disc format, I got my HD DVD capability buying two of their add on drives that actually work (with one AC adapter I was able to power them both finally! HAHA) You can use their standard USB to connect to any Windows 7 or 8 PC because MS shares the OS with PCs, and it's able to work. I downloaded Toshiba's own software to play it but there maybe others that do both BD and HDvD. I tried more with BluRay but because I just scored yet another stand alone for BD discs, and I have PS3 working, I don't need a PC or laptop version of the same, I will likely buy their slim HD-DVD for laptops that use traditional IDE connections, BluRay for PC used both IDE and then moved to modern SATA interfaces.

Speaking of San An and GTA for PC performance, I bought all the copies except GTA IV, I bought Episodes from LC before the full inclusion box came along, with GTA IV and both DLCs. My friend hasn't tried Episodes on PC, so while he can't get GTA V for PC yet, I think I'll lend him my Episodes game, I then bought it for Xbox because it was not working too well on somewhat dated machines, I bought yet another Core2Duo CPU however, and I plan to likely buy a second 8800 nVidia, and try and pair my set up for SLi

Edited by BlackListedB

• 2 weeks later...

For me, I still have an original XBOX storage dongle module, the kind that specifically mate to the front two slots on most Xboxs of previous generations at least, but they were in the MegaByte ranges rather then Gigabytes, but those, USB flash drives (thumbdrives are the same thing) and any HDD attached to the end of your Xbox, OR even a USB attached card reading device I believe will work to put your games and XBL items on, it's one of the harder decisions as to where things should go as you are required to save them.

To the layman this would mean if you're saving items that you'd use with several character profiles, or between the HDD normally left attached to the Xbox, and any other attaching and detaching storage device, since the Disc Drive aka ODD is attached, and most added HDDs are left on your console, that (the HDD in XBL's proprietary enclosure attachement)  would be the primary storage device, but it can share data between two or more add on memory options, as they're attached, but keep an eye on in-game save prompts starting out each session, it will save indescrimenently if you're not keeping up on what is stored where! (with an incorrect prompt on your part in most cases I know of) So, say your XBL profile is on USB, when the game asks, store your game saves back with that profile, but you can load the game from the first disc to the HDD at the same time, it should work fine

Edited by BlackListedB

• 7 months later...

@

M3shyS

My brother just finished Gta V last week but he deleted the game after it happened. ( He followed your procedure ) 

Now when i am trying to play the game the "storage" issue is coming back. Please help me on this ! 

Edited by Gamer81

• 1 month later...