USA Gun laws and Violent Video Gaming....

BlackListedB

Recent Newtown shooting among other violent acts purpetrated with guns, used against unarmed citizens in public places has sparked a massive discussion and a mission for newly re-elected President Barack Obama to tackle the easy access to guns and enforcing the Industry and battle with the NRA as lobbyists of gun makers, that discussion alone is very hotly contested, but I read in light of the tragic shooting, a video game burning bonfire was also undertaken, and video games are the subject of Friday's further developments in the story....

http://www.huffingto..._n_2458161.html

I think being that GTA 5 is coming out pretty soon, this issue is likely to cause some reflection on Rockstar's satire for mature audiences, since it has it's share of UNDERAGE, impressionable fans.

[NOTE GTA IS MENTIONED in the above ^]

This also happened after the Newtown incident...

http://www.cnn.com/2...ting/index.html

Edited by BlackListedB

Madness, madness everywhere. As much as I would like to sympathise on the victims' families, I'm afraid this "game-burning" they did is ridiculous. Just as ridiculous as with the Salem witch-hunts and McCarteyism back in the 1940s.

They delight on singling out the "new media" like games and stuff - what about "Ben 10" and all that shit if their logic follows? It's piss-poor parenting that accounts for nutjobs raining lead on innocent children. Problem is that parents too busy keeping up with the Joneses so much that their kids' welfare is overlooked, plus this sensationalised, fucked up media like Jersey Shore and this Honey Boo-Boo shit is adding up to it. Kids are so embroiled so much into this "swag" nonsense that their values aren't there anymore.

/vent

You are absolutely right Huck. Video games don't make people turn around and think 'oh wait, you know what would be a good idea? Shooting a load of 6 year olds' there is definitely something inherently wrong with a person for them to do that, something caused not by video games but by deep mental issues. It is crazy how certain members of the American public are condemning video games over these shootings but still don't see how being able to buy assault rifles used to equip your army off the shelf is a bad idea. Personally I hope that Barack Obama manages to pass the gun control laws he is suggesting, I mean Clinton managed it in the 90s until Bush took over.

• Like 1

I completely agree with Huck. My wife babysits for a few extra dollars a week, the older kid is 7. He wants to spend all the time with my wife instead of playing. Why? The parents just sit him in front of a video game or tv screen so they don't have to do any parenting. Absolutely ridiculous. Shootings have to do with poor parenting more than anything else.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

UPDATE  (Real surprise I'd pop into this one) 

First off, sincere condolences to the victims & families.

Shortly after the mass shootings earlier this year some nutcase ran through the campus of a Texas

university w/ a knife & killed several people.  I would also point out the 9-11 attacks were done

completely w/out firearms resulting in the murder of about 3000 people. 

When one takes the state of mind to harm another a firearm is nothing more than a convenience. 

I also agree w/ Huck on the point of parental responsibility.  I've noticed these massacres tend to 

happen in jurisdictions w/ heavy gun control & "duty to flee"  meaning if an intruder breaks into

your home w/ violent intent you are legally required to run away instead of resist.  Defending your

family or self could result in you being arrested, charged/convicted & incarcerated.

Over the years I've come across a few articles interviewing convicted criminals, asking questions

like "Why did you break into this house & not that one?"  Not counting personal grudges, the answer

was almost always "I didn't think this one could resist" or "that one looked like they could put up a

fight".  In jurisdictions that recognize concealed carry & castle doctrine there is much less violent

crime.  It seems dirtbags think twice about mugging little old ladies when there's a 50/50 chance she

has a 357 in her purse.  I'd have to do some digging but somewhere I've got some FBI statistics to

back this up.

The answer is idiot control.

As of this time gun control legislation is at a standstill but there's a bit of an ammo shortage. 

Supposedly this is because virtually every agency of the US Federal Government is buying any

ammo it can get a hold of.  It would appear the GSA wasn't content w/ flat screens & hot tubs, they

also need a few million rounds of 22.

• Like 1

I completely agree with Huck. My wife babysits for a few extra dollars a week, the older kid is 7. He wants to spend all the time with my wife instead of playing. Why? The parents just sit him in front of a video game or tv screen so they don't have to do any parenting. Absolutely ridiculous. Shootings have to do with poor parenting more than anything else.

Now if only that the social worker would revoke the jerk parents of their right to have the child... :P Sure reminds me of a white American kid who got taken off his biological mum and dad as they were deemed unable to raise him properly, and ended up under the care of a Filipino dad and joined as a reality talent show contestant.

UPDATE  (Real surprise I'd pop into this one) 

First off, sincere condolences to the victims & families.

Shortly after the mass shootings earlier this year some nutcase ran through the campus of a Texas

university w/ a knife & killed several people.  I would also point out the 9-11 attacks were done

completely w/out firearms resulting in the murder of about 3000 people. 

When one takes the state of mind to harm another a firearm is nothing more than a convenience. 

I also agree w/ Huck on the point of parental responsibility.  I've noticed these massacres tend to 

happen in jurisdictions w/ heavy gun control & "duty to flee"  meaning if an intruder breaks into

your home w/ violent intent you are legally required to run away instead of resist.  Defending your

family or self could result in you being arrested, charged/convicted & incarcerated.

Over the years I've come across a few articles interviewing convicted criminals, asking questions

like "Why did you break into this house & not that one?"  Not counting personal grudges, the answer

was almost always "I didn't think this one could resist" or "that one looked like they could put up a

fight".  In jurisdictions that recognize concealed carry & castle doctrine there is much less violent

crime.  It seems dirtbags think twice about mugging little old ladies when there's a 50/50 chance she

has a 357 in her purse.  I'd have to do some digging but somewhere I've got some FBI statistics to

back this up.

The answer is idiot control.

As of this time gun control legislation is at a standstill but there's a bit of an ammo shortage. 

Supposedly this is because virtually every agency of the US Federal Government is buying any

ammo it can get a hold of.  It would appear the GSA wasn't content w/ flat screens & hot tubs, they

also need a few million rounds of 22.

True that. My aunt always makes sure that she spends as much quality time with her daughter as possible, and has done quite a job at making her a responsible young woman. Like your daughter I did expose her to GTA and a few other games before - sure, it's a poor move on my part to let her play mature games, but she knows what she's doing and she's been raised at a caring household.

Letting them play the games shouldn't be a problem as long as the kid knows the difference

between a video game & real life.  

I've had my dealings w/ social workers, child protective services, etc, they're more of a problem

than a fix.  I know one case personally of a 16 year old that is completely out of control & will

probably get himself thrown in prison by the time he's 19.  Under sharia law he would have lost

both hands by now but the last bit from social workers is his parents can't ground him, he might

feel sad about it, meanwhile he steals anything not nailed down & can't respect other people,

their space, stuff, etc.  The second he's not happy he whines to some idiot at his school & CPS

is at the door, "you can't do this, you can't do that, poor baby it's everybody else's fault..... 

These people should at least have children before being put in the position they're in.

On the note of parents, check out the opening of the movie "Idiocracy", it explains alot.

Edited by Urbanoutlaw
  • Like 1

I'm a Ted Nugent fan, but let me point you guys to something that's garnering a lot of debate on this, Jim Carrey's parody song that I think is right up Rockstar's alley, it's dark and edgy satire, it takes a black and white simplistic opinionated approach, but it's meant to be comic, it's just something people take very personally, or they worry about it in one form or another. Funny aside.

Either way it's Cold Dead Hands, taking a phrase from the late Charlton Heston who replied about how his gun would have to be taken from his dead, cold hands. He wasn't a gun nut, but he's made out that way because of his affiliation with the NRA, Ted Nugent might be considered a gun-nut, but he likes to use his gun collection safely, just as he uses his guitar collection.

The full Funny or Die skit, Fox news commentary staff hates it, but again, it's freedom of speech, press people! Get used to it.

Edited by BlackListedB

Ted Nugent represents most....  Okay, we're gun nuts (now that's out of the way).  Seriously, what

sane rational person is going to spend $1200, fill out a small hill of paperwork & submit to a full

background check on an AR15 just to drive around & shoot up the hood?

I joke about Walmart being a redneck's favorite place on earth because you can go in there at

2AM & in one stop to pick up a ham sandwich, a car battery & an AR15 in one stop, but guaranteed

by 2:10 Walmart & the federal government know exactly who you are, where you live & what firearm

you just bought.  Instead of going after 99% of gun owners who (usually at considerable effort) stay

within the law, concentrate on stolen weapons, illegal sales & people who are just plain batshit crazy. 

During debate over the Clinton gun control act the NRA supported background checks including

mental health.  Sara Brady herself proclaimed this was outrageous because it insulted the dignity

of people w/ mental issues.  The Long Island Railroad massacre was still fairly fresh in people's

minds at this time.

WTF!?

PS Hey, BL what's up, I'm Urban & it's good to see another (alleged) adult around here.

• Like 1

Seen vids of Ted shooting up shit in his backyard, if you wanna play with guns, do so safely and in the same regard you see on TV at the GunClubs, Now granted, GTA with Ammunation get to poke fun at these same social mores, but yes, when you hear of some young kid shooting at school or classmates, etc. It's usually access from an adult member of the family who clearly has no clue how to properly own and handle them, if anyone who shouldn't has gained access to those weapons.

That's damn foolhardy, and I don't care much for any excuse when it's so easy to lock guns up safely and keep ammunition hidden and locked as well.

Most people won't face a life or death home invasion situation. God's honest truth

• Like 1

but still don't see how being able to buy assault rifles used to equip your army off the shelf is a bad idea.

So this question is aimed at the Americans on this forum, what do you guys think the likelihood of Obama successfully passing law to reduce the amount of ammunition you can buy and prohibiting the sale of assault rifles?

You apparently haven't a clue what you're talking about and seem to be letting GTA influence your knowledge on firearms ownership in the real world. Assault rifles and machine guns are already heavily restricted among civilians and you pretty much have to be a police officer, federal agent, or military to get one. It's been this way since 1936. An assault rifle is clearly defined as an intermediate caliber long arm capable of selectable semiautomatic or fully automatic fire via a selector switch. AR-15s like the Bushmaster used by what's-his-name are semiautomatic only and therefor not assault rifles. This is why gun control advocates pass around the term "assault weapon"; they can define it however they please. If I crack you over the head with a chair leg, it was used as a weapon to assault you and is therefor an "assault weapon". Does that mean chair legs should be outlawed?

Reducing the amount of ammunition one buys is also as retarded as outlawing cosmetic features such as collapsible stocks, pistol grips, and vertical foregrips. What next, combat stabbings by reducing the amount of kitchen knives you can own? Combat drunk driving by reducing the amount of cars you can own? Combat drowning by reducing the amount of liquid you can consume or length of time you're allowed to swim/bathe?

Edited by Spartan198

The news media hasn't helped any by throwing around terms like "assault rifle" & "semi-automatic".  200 years ago

an "assault rifle" was 5 feet long & you loaded it w/ a broomstick.  If you were really good you get off 3 shots in a

minute.  In the meantime that same news media do things like publicizing the George Zimmerman case (surprised

that topic didn't get more of a response)  Similar cases at the time were ignored because they just weren't interesting

enough.  Sensationalist puds would go wall to wall w/ a cat in a tree if they thought it would get ratings.

Another term is "assault weapon" which technically is any weapon used to assault someone.  The average 5th

grader leaves for school everyday carrying a pack full of things that could be used as such.  

Spartan is right in the comparisons w/ stabbings, drowning & drunk driving. 

Again, the answer is idiot control.

Edited by Urbanoutlaw
  • Like 1

Say hello to my "Boomstick" aka Little Friend.

Here's the paradox you simply cannot get around, people who are critical about movie or game content say it glorifies the worst in human nature, by simply choosing to encompass and explore those aspects in an interactive construct. Thats why it's critical for us, the fans, to drive home the point that it's not an influence in real world behaviors, and that's why I bring up moral responsibilty and points that reflect adult thinking about the subject matter. When you see media present hyperbole and reactionary arguments from adults, no less, I can't help but think people from all walks of life lose sight of the best manner to tackle tough societal issues

Edited by BlackListedB
  • Like 1

So the (rhetorical) question is how go you get ambulance chaser lawyers, generic air-talent news hacks

& opportunistic politicians like.....well pretty much all of 'em out of the way so we can get somewhere on this. 

At least R*'s biggest fan Jack Thompson finally got disbarred so there's at least a chance.

• Like 1

I say be an example for a voice of sanity amidst the madness, I have issues I mentioned already, but this is true of anything we might observe, even if we're there to enjoy it.

guns existed long before video games, we also still get a visceral thrill from action films, and the same from games. Violence has long been a societal ill, so these same arguments in one form or another have been waged for years.... the funny thing is how little progress comes about after the same pros and cons

• Like 1

I say be an example for a voice of sanity amidst the madness, I have issues I mentioned already, but this is true of anything we might observe, even if we're there to enjoy it.

guns existed long before video games, we also still get a visceral thrill from action films, and the same from games. Violence has long been a societal ill, so these same arguments in one form or another have been waged for years.... the funny thing is how little progress comes about after the same pros and cons

Back in the 50s parents bashed on rock-and-roll as being banal and bollocks, and for every decade that has passed there's almost always something that they'll decry as the new rock-and-roll. Like arcade games and Power Rangers, to name a few.

I don't know if rock was thought to be banal, that's the wrong word, certainly influencing rebellion and some thought Satanism. Just like the fear mongering of Communism in the Cold War age, there were large vocal groups of rather ignorant mob mentality running around, my parents never cared to listen in depth to rock music, and they STILL don't, but it took my calm head to convince them this music has it's own merit, my dad still hates it though, my mom will listen to soft rock! hahaha They hated me having Ozzy's Blizzard record in the house, like the band KISS, I was in the Kiss Army long ago! I guess I still am, and my dad certainly didn't like me having a Sam Kinison record under his roof, again there was plentiful cursing there too, but Sam was coming from a religious family and was himself a preacher! He never denied God or Faith, but he also dabbled openly in temptations. We're all human like that, and that's a point I drive home still.

Guns in the real world hold no interest for me, I don't plan to buy one anytime soon, but in games, you need them, the games we like, it's all virtual reality, no harm no foul. Problem is there's foul in the mortal world, and how do you deal with it!

Even as gamers, we should take a responsible side/stance

In my case, I was open w/ my kids about firearms.  They would get curious -"What's that ?" Instead

of reacting like a lot of people(BAD, BAD, STAY AWAY!!!!) I took a minute to show them what it was

& teach them basic rules, thereby removing any taboo, & made sure they knew any time they got 

curious all they had to do was ask I would show them again.  As a result, by the time my oldest was

7 she could clear & secure any firearm I owned.  I knew if my kid found one laying around, the worst

thing she would do would unload it.  If no one was around to get an adult she would take the ammo

& find an adult. 

I might not be Ward Cleever (just google it) but I KNEW my kids would never be an accidental shooting

statistic.

• Like 1

In my case, I was open w/ my kids about firearms.  They would get curious -"What's that ?" Instead

of reacting like a lot of people(BAD, BAD, STAY AWAY!!!!) I took a minute to show them what it was

& teach them basic rules, thereby removing any taboo, & made sure they knew any time they got 

curious all they had to do was ask I would show them again.  As a result, by the time my oldest was

7 she could clear & secure any firearm I owned.  I knew if my kid found one laying around, the worst

thing she would do would unload it.  If no one was around to get an adult she would take the ammo

& find an adult. 

I might not be Ward Cleever (just google it) but I KNEW my kids would never be an accidental shooting

statistic.

My dad's more or less lenient when he tinkers with his piece and I'm around. I would occasionally ask if I could check the gun out and aim it, as long as I'm not pointing at someone, that I shouldn't put my finger on the trigger, and the golden rule of assuming that EVERY gun is loaded.