Grand Theft Auto III Finally Arriving on PSN Tomorrow

Chris

IPB ImageBack in July we reported on Grand Theft Auto III coming to the PSN store as a PS2 classic. That release got pushed back due to some licensing issues around certain music in the game, however, the US PlayStation Blog has confirmed today that GTA III will finally be arriving on the US PSN store tomorrow, 25th September, and will set you back $9.99. Currently there's no word on availability or pricing in other regions; Europe, Asia and elsewhere may also see it tomorrow, or we may have to wait another week or so.

Having said that, last week PlayStation Asia had a page up on their site for GTA III which did specify the 25th September release date for that region as well, but the page was later taken offline. The fact this was even published could indicate a worldwide release was planned, or could have simply been some misinformation that was mistakenly put online.

As we mentioned before, GTA III is being released as a PS2 classic - a direct, no-frills port of the original PS2 version. Unfortunately this means no remastered HD graphics, and no trophies, but hopefully the lack of such additions won't put you off replaying this amazing game.

Some of you may now be wondering if Vice City and San Andreas will also be re-released on the PS3. Back in June, ESRB ratings were spotted for both GTA III and Vice City, but so far only GTA III has been talked about. It's worth pointing out that the 10 year anniversary of Vice City is coming up in just over a month, so it's plausible that Rockstar may re-release the game then to coincide with that. As a sidenote, there's been absolutely no talk of a mobile version of Vice City for iOS and Android coming out for it's 10th anniversary à la GTA III's last year. As for San Andreas on PS3, there's been no talk of that either.

Let us know in the comments if you plan on getting this game again, and if you do, get ready for a lot of nostalgia.

I still set up my PS2 and play GTA III on a semi-regular basis.

I know that this release is not HD, but I'm wondering if there would be any benefit buying it on PSN? My PS3 is plugged into my TV with an HDMI cable, so should I expect the picture to be any clearer than with my PS2?

Anyone who can make a comprehensible comparison, that would be great!

Thanks.

I couldn't wait, I got my old PS2 with HDD adapter out of storage, and the other day I bought a DS2 from the Goodwill, time to test all that hardware, with San Andreas classic!! I have the PC versions already, but my main concern on the PSN version is over licensing, what was the contested licensing and was it overcome so there was no alteration made? That is what I would mostly like to hear. It goes to the argument that PS2 is the best way to go, if you can. Since there's no embellishment for these.

Good comment about PS3 connection via HDMI, but as my good friend PCguytech_2005 informed me over a year ago, Monster Cable offered HD resolution cables for the PS2, he says it's already producing an HD level game quality wise, at least the low end spectrum, it's seriously doubtful there's any PSN version advantage, but small text is the thing to observe, with GTA IV it's really the most difficult on older TVs, as has been my experience!

Edited by BlackListedB

• 2 weeks later...

Well, on my site I plan to link some scans I just made, as yet, not uploaded, but they will be! PC Gamer covered GTA in a very cool spread back in May 2003 IIRC, Vice City was out for PC, and they took a look back to GTA 1, 2, and 3, with a sidebar article on modding at that time, there are links that maybe dead nowadays, but I suspect I'll be trying them myself. Seeing what Mods for GTA III might still be alive

One of which was a 2 person LAN multiplayer mod, hoped to expand to 6 players using code they found in GTA 3, I missed that article while I was online, or at least, late in 2003 I joined GTAF to chat about the game, so it's hard to remember, but back in 2000, with GTA 2, IIRC, it scored less then 70 and probably always scored lowest among the GTA titles

Well, on my site I plan to link some scans I just made, as yet, not uploaded, but they will be! PC Gamer covered GTA in a very cool spread back in May 2003 IIRC, Vice City was out for PC, and they took a look back to GTA 1, 2, and 3, with a sidebar article on modding at that time, there are links that maybe dead nowadays, but I suspect I'll be trying them myself. Seeing what Mods for GTA III might still be alive

One of which was a 2 person LAN multiplayer mod, hoped to expand to 6 players using code they found in GTA 3, I missed that article while I was online, or at least, late in 2003 I joined GTAF to chat about the game, so it's hard to remember, but back in 2000, with GTA 2, IIRC, it scored less then 70 and probably always scored lowest among the GTA titles

I just made a topic on your site, and sent you a PM.

Well to avoid any further issues, I'm not going to help cross promote GTAF or C by mentioning them here, I just hope to inspire peeps, and bring them up to date on what I / we know... If I'm wrong, or off base with facts, cordially correct me by all means, but I do ask people respectfully do so.

Appreciate you taking an active forumer approach, no matter which site!!