Legacy Hardware topic

BlackListedB

Not your worst computer owned, but rather what do you keep using and still have from the GOLDEN AGE of PC/Digital Home Computing

If you wish, tell us about old game systems, but Legacy hardware refers to any old scanner or trusty card reader as well

Do you use PC's Serial or Parallel ports of old? Do you still wind up using old Internet or USB 1.0/1.1 at all?

For me, yeah, I use a Canon i-series printer for it's affordable ink and relatively good prints, it uses USB thankfully, but I did try to get an old scanner, I used the Parallel port for Bi-Directional storage, I bought an HP data based DAT drive, using SCSI, and a SCSI PCI card to support SCSI opticals! haha

Just keep that around for a nice retro rig. I also obtained an original 5 and quarter FLOPPY disk drive for old ATARI game software, if nothing else

I have Toshiba Pentium 90Mhz laptops still, amazingly those old Lithium Ion batts still function!

First PCMCIA (PC Card) media card reader I still have, but compared to USB, still slow and you notice PC Card feels too long in the tooth now, since I keep using it, but I have a PC Express card slot with no expansion just yet, been holding off on USB 3.0 for that however.

I invite old console gamers to have a say here as well.

I mentioned my exposure to the oldest tech was Apple II series in the late 1970s, I even got to do a learning course on TOUCH SCREEN Control Data system or something similar. In the age of the Apple, scanning of photos and the modem I saw evolve along with MIDI and other various Multimedia and telecommunication come to the consumer, it was all too expensive too, my dad invested in a system based on my input as well as other kids in our family who also were exposed to Apple. I remember us shopping for a VCR and going with Beta too, but it wasn't as much input on my end as some might think, though I learned Beta was thought highly for it's attributes as the best tape format, though not as widely accepted.

For consoles, I used to play them in the stores as they were setup to show off systems, the age of Atari 2600 and Intellivision, Sega Master System, etc.

My Apple //c is one fine portable Apple from 1984, the age of the original MAC as well, and I plan to keep my Apple //c for all my retro software there.

I felt I must have a Floppy Disk of the modern variety, used on Apple and PC, and for many a year. Strangely and funny enough, in the used market, I scored a Sony Mavica digital camera using floppy disk storage, it was a lot of fun to see this media have even more life!

Lacking an EDIT update, another FYI bump on this, I looked out far and wide and have found if you're updating an older 478 socket Pentium 4, the best you can do for a 400 to 533 FSB [Front Side Bus], Northwood Pentiums, at 3.06Ghz is the only HTT model option you have, giving your old machine Hyper Threading Technology. I was pricing them starting at $15USD, so I hope to get a few myself, since I'll need more then one obviously. This older generation doesn't help too much based on older AGP and PCI as mentioned before, still causing some bottlenecks, but it's possible to gain much needed new life in an upgrade if you so chose to go this route

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/291232-28-showing-pentium