Just got GTA IV

First time owner/player/user? Never had a Next gen "computer" to play it? Intriguing .... Anyway, online MP consists of you racing others, hunting one on one, timed events, or Open Free Roam / various missions with you and a crew against AI tasks, akin to a normal GTA mission you do alone. Not at all bad, but most people I met just blast each other or take as many jumps at the airport for Gnarly air!, or, as I did, race to get a spawned heli and bomb people below... which upsets most players, but what the heck!??

As for the main game, at this point it's best to get the two DLC with the main original release, all sold in one nice package

That was no doubt confusing. Here's one of the odd things MANY forget, GTA started out with little in the way of expletives, it fought the NON GAMING talking heads who rally for decency with Vice City and the previous GTA III, culminating again with Hot Coffee in 2005, yet, play the games prior, there's little really out and out offensive. I felt that perhaps SA was pushing some envelope, but I didn't really notice. It has plenty of gameplay that's just navigating and existing within the virtual San An. Most of the profanity is in keeping with the "urban slang" and story characterization.

I feel what GTA IV does wrong is almost RELY on shocking moments like profanity for profanities sake, this to me originally surfaces as a response to the critics that if you want something to complain about, how 'bout this??

They don't want their games remembered that way, so I hope they realize it's ultimately unnecessary to go for shock with crued gaming tactics, and it might even hurt GTA compared to other games trying to steal it's thunder. They could be a filter to make GTA a game more age groups could play

It's ultimately satire on real, modern life. Which can be quite boring most of the time, so crime in the context of the game premise is what the virtual platform lends itself to, a Do what You want DIGITAL SANDBOX.

I just felt in some respects Saints Row was running along with GTA in their lowest common denominator gameplay attributes, or jokes that are more crude then funny. It's a fine line, as they say. Don't think I'm a prude, I'm approaching it as a mature adult's idea on how GTA can be fun, still get it's premise across and not be out and out offending more then not (to anyone who gets offended, I'll say)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh I havn't played GTA IV on the iTouch, it was another GTA game. Oh one more question. What stuff should I NOT do on GTA IV when my parents are in the room? I'm 13 lol.

That's okay. I started the original GTA series when I was about 7. Not the greatest thing to play at that age, but whatever. When I was your age, I had gta3. I turned the volume down and just drove around. It doesn't make for the fulfilling gta experience as it does now (I'm currently 20) but it allowed me to play atleast. Obviously don't go on killing sprees etc. But I mean really there's nothing else bad except for the cursing/violence/strip club.

I don't know what age I was getting GTA for the first time, but I actually BOUGHT GTA 3 and only started the missions, I didn't delve into the game franchise like a man obsessed, but I became that way as Vice City followed up the 3 smash hit, and it's been hard to look away, or back, ever since

I didn't opt to play it on PC, but I have gotten just about all the PC versions since.

I think what hurts the age perspective of GTA gaming is that it's a crime thriller, but it also said the HELL WITH IT for playing it safe with the language and some of the antics, like full frontal nudity, of the male variety. If you're my age, it's akin to any R-rated fare, but there's certainly room for more games based on what makes GTA fun, that aren't that objectionable. As I see it, Vice and GTA III were pretty dang tame, people were claiming cursing that just wasn't there. It seemed more rough and tumble then it was... BUT the option to kill a prostitute and get your money back just made some people livid, even if it's complete fiction in a graphic realm and no one got hurt...for real