USB generics (controllers)

Yo, Grabbed a $15 used USB wired Mad Catz, Gamestop branded controller for my GTA gaming on laptop, or PC as well, and it should work with Microsoft's driver from their site, which installed correctly

However, reviews show this particular Mad Catz, or other similar generics could have issues, do you get what you pay for, or are these budget priced Third Party brands useful replacements??

It's literally a luck of the draw with this sort of thing I find. I've had £10 3rd party ps2 controllers work more reliably and outlast official ones when connected via a PC adapter. I'd be tempted to shell out a bit more, regardless, and failing that post on some forums / ask some friends if they have any recommendations.

Depends on the controller and how you handle it. I had a PS2 controller clone (it was in the form of a Dualshock, but with a USB plug) that I bought for just 180 pesos back in 2010, and it fucked up after several accidental drops, adding to the fact that the wire was shoddily-connected.

I did buy another one, but it was in a somewhat different form factor, and came with a translucent casing. It seemed kinda sturdier, but I'm not sure if it'll last just as long. And yeah, PS2-to-USB adapters do work well, minus the force feedback. Contrary to what the saleslady claimed that it won't work on Windows 7, it does, albeit plug-and-play.