Rockstar officially announce GTA V

Chris

Rockstar have today officially announced that Grand Theft Auto V is in full development. The company released a statement on the newswire which confirms that the game will be set in Los Santos only, not all of San Andreas; it will however include "surrounding hills, countryside and beaches".

The statement also confirms that money will be a major theme of the game, and that GTA V will be the largest and most ambitious GTA to date, re-imagining present day Southern California.

Developed by series creator Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto V heads to the city of Los Santos and surrounding hills, countryside and beaches in the largest and most ambitious game Rockstar has yet created.

A bold new direction in open-world freedom, storytelling, mission-based gameplay and online multiplayer, Grand Theft Auto V focuses on the pursuit of the almighty dollar in a re-imagined, present day Southern California.

• Like 2

yea i was hoping theyd make the entire san andreas, however at least they can focus on making an entire large legit replica of LA rather than a tiny half ass one like in the original SA. I'm sure they'll do one for san fran and las vegas as well. and im so glad to see that it takes place in present day again.

does biggest gta game ever mean the biggest map?

I can't help but think how much L.A. Noire and its map will help them in recreating Los Santos, so I'm sure the map will be giant and maybe (pleassee!) they will have more indoor environments... I mean what good is the almighty dollar if you can't blow it all at the mall? I'm getting amped up just thinking about it....

No desert then? Guess I'll have to settle for the countryside....

Still, I wonder what they mean by "most ambitious GTA".

I reckon that means it'll be more than a mere next gen treatment of SA/ Los Santos. I have no idea what more they could do to step up the game (except for having the entire SA state, but I guess that's is PROBABLY out of the table).

I guess I was right to be a little disappointed, this game will just be an upgrade to a more modern and more real Los Santos. If the city is the same size as the whole of San Andreas, I will be happy but something tells me its just going to be the same size as IV.

The trailer did have planes and I am sure I seen a fighter jet in a trailer which does suggest the map will be bigger, so there are positives.

most cities are "New York" huge? no lol. no where close. im sure things are different in the UK, but here in america (where the game takes place), the overwhelming majority of cities are small. we only have a few big (land) cities, a lot of our cities are smaller than the entire map of san andreas.

Another thing i thought of is, with gta4, they said they were making an exact replica of NYC. gta games are known to consist of connected islands that open up as the game progresses. if they are planning to make an exact replica of LA, how are they gonna do the "islands" system?

Edited by Jezz Torrent

Another thing i thought of is, with gta4, they said they were making an exact replica of NYC. gta games are known to consist of connected islands that open up as the game progresses. if they are planning to make an exact replica of LA, how are they gonna do the "islands" system?

That had yet to cross my mind, also I think you are the first person to bring that up on this site.

Well its possible that the Mount Chilliad part of the map will be separated from Los Santos by water, and likewise the desert countryside too. In theory each of these countrysides will have their own medium-size city that will branch out to smaller towns, that will be accessible after the bridges have opened up.

I decided to email Rockstar Leeds from their own landing page, where they mention their latest or Current Project is Chinatown Wars for Nintendo DS, asking them if they are working on the PC version of GTA V, or what project for PSVita the studios might be involved in, Don't expect to hear back, but I hope to get a lead up from them!

As for the map, GTA IV LC as NYC is a one off guys, you can pretty much bank on that, you forget about Midnight Club, and LA Noire, so GTA V will not recreate actual maps and locations but take off from where SA started

Edited by BlackListedB