GTA V to Remain in America?

Chris

IPB ImageA couple more interviews with vice president of Rockstar Games, Dan Houser, have surfaced recently. One of these contains a nice little tidbit regarding the setting of GTA games and slight reasoning for the choice behind them. Surprisingly it's the slightly unrelated Entertainment Weekly blog coming forth with the goods this time.

The bulk of the interview discusses the past GTA games and other franchises Rockstar have produced, but on the final page of the interview the following question about the setting of the next/future GTA games is posed:

Looking forward with the GTA series, would you want to do another international edition? You’ve been in America since GTA III.

We go backwards and forwards on it. There are very interesting crime stories and other stories you can tell about anyplace in the world. Whether that would work with Grand Theft Auto — when so much about Grand Theft Auto is about the Americana, about the American media — is something I’m not sure about.

So Dan's not really sure if a GTA set outside America would work so well. Do you agree? Personally, I've always felt that the next GTA would return to Vice City, I've since accepted that San Andreas is also as likely a setting. That said, I might be surprised with a brand new setting - if so, I think I'd still expect it to be in the USA. Of course this discussion could go on and on, especially when we start considering the possibility of multiple locations...

Dan teases us with his response to the interviewer's next question:

Are you looking to the next stage of the GTA franchise?

There is gonna be one? I don’t know. [Smiles] I know nothing about anything after Max Payne 3.

Sure Dan, we believe you!

Sound off in the comments with your thoughts on this. Where do you think is a likely place to set the next GTA?

It damn well better. I mean it's a bit of logic involved here, Americans are crazy enough to go on random rampages and spend a couple of night overs in prison or hospital but IDK if something like this would happen in London or Tohkyoh...

Edited by TUN3R

• 11 months later...

I haven't dug through all the older topics, but I think we can come up with some new areas of discussion, I'd been wondering if part of the major GTA V delay is licensing hard to get tracks for the audio portion of the game? Could be a possibility

Sam Houser mentioned with GTA IV that their interest in casting and setting within the USA stems from their foreign aspect themselves, they offer their out-siders perspective on America in biting satire, not all of it is off-base either, but it's a logical setting for many a game geographically.

Playing GTA taking part anywhere else in the world would seem strange, at least to us Americans! hahaha