RE: GTA IV stutter problem...

TUN3R

Ok so some time ago I requested assistance regarding a problem with GTA IV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3t5pelPiSfc

So yeah, basically after 20 minutes in the game it behaves as if it's about to get BSOD. Someone suggested in the comments that it might be because of the CPU.

Now, although this problem initially appeared only in GTA IV (and GTA IV is still the only unplayable game), I began to notice some similar problems in other games as well.

In Saints Row 2 the cutscene character models sometimes lag / get desynched / IDK what to call it. The actual game runs flawlessly though (no comparison to GTA IV optimization intended).

NFS Pro Street stutters all the time but it's not a big problem, not nearly as big as in GTA IV. Anyway unlike in GTA IV I'm also having graphical problems, like textures disappearing for a split second, weird lines on the screen etc.

So if the problem is the CPU, how can I fix it? (can I fix it)?

Specs:

Intel Core i5-661 Core Duo 3.33 GHz

4GB DDR3 RAM

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB

PC well maintained, no overclock, drivers up to date etc...

Have you installed any hardware lately? Is your case overheating?

Graphics card is new.

Have you checked the temperatures and suff?

Yes. Speedfan says:

GPU: 38 - 40c

CPU: -128c (wtf)

Local: 36c

Remote 2: 37c

HD 0: 34c

Core 0: 39 - 57c

Core 1: 37 - 55c

These numbers come and go.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm have you patched the game ? I used to attempt to run it without patch but it was horrible beyon playable at all (How i managed to finish the game i cant imagine) but patching the game with 1.03 seemed to make everything run smooth.

I'm just gonna ignore that...

Anyway I fixed the problem although GTA IV still runs like crap. Had to enter this in command line:

-memrestrict 629145600

For 1GB GPU only.