• Windows Vista
    • Windows XP
    • Windows 2000, me, 98 (or earlier)
    • Windows Server
    • Windows 8 Developer Preview
    • Mac OS X Lion (or later)
    • Mac OS X Snow Leopard (or earlier)
    • iOS (iPad/iPhone)
    • Linux (e.g. Fedora, Ubuntu, CentOS, RHEL)
    • Solaris/BSD/GNU/ReactOS/BeOS/Haiku
    • Other

Yeah well my case can switch colors! In 7 years it went from pearl white to cheese yellow! Beat that!

TUN3R's best post. Hands down.

One hundred+ dollars is expensive if you have bills to pay, a shitty paying job, and no mommy or daddy to pay for shit for you. Jussss sayin', yo.

I use XP, because I can't be bothered to find out whether or not my laptop has a DVD burner so I can install W7. My desktop decided not to boot from my main HDD anymore, even though it recognizes it just fine. Fuck you computer.

• Like 1

You mean $29

That's for an upgrade. If you have XP, that is useless to you. :-(

300"]http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/en_US/pd/productID.216645600/catID.44066800/parentCategoryID.44066700/categoryID.50726100/list.true"]300 dollars?[/url]

Screw this, I KNOW that's the damn URL code, DON'T TELL ME IT ISN'T!!!!!!

That's for an upgrade. If you have XP, that is useless to you. :-(

Wrong. Upgrade only refers to the licence NOT the method of installation (since Win7).

The upgrade disc is identical, and you CAN do a fresh install using it. You just need to own a licence for a previous version of Windows, which anyone who has an old computer lying around does.

If you have XP and want Win7, you do a clean install using the Win7 upgrade disc. First though, you should check the upgrade advisor.

• 2 weeks later...

I still use windows xp service pack 3 and u?

I use as many Windows as I came across, I use my OEM Windows ME restore from my eMachine PC for any quick wipe to an OS platform I can install on just about any PC with older driver compatibility. As for Windows 7, I did opt to buy one copy, installed on an i3 system, all I could afford was just over $100. I did replace my XP SP2 with a new disc for $150 at the time. No sales on Windows OS! Bill Gates, who luves ya babe?!?

Anyway, ME works fine if you got it on your computer newly installed, not an upgrade! rarely if ever got BSOD on my machine. I use Windows 98 and some of Win95., but not anymore, I opted USB and DVD support covered under Win 9x 98, Second Edition is best for older machines. I use Vista Ultimate and Vista Home Premium, those being 32bit, the Win7 I bought is Premium 64 bit however, and I want a 32 bit for some compatibility, but for better RAM management, you'd be better served with 64bit OS

You might think you're okay running an old OS like ME/98, but in terms of security I really wouldn't dream of using it on the web these days.

Hackers have had 12 years to find every hole and exploit, and they don't provide any of the advanced security features that Windows 7 does (UAC, ASLR, DEP, MICs, UIPI etc). All but the very newest malware doesn't stand a chance on a fully-patched modern system (unless the user is stupid and turns it off), but literally anything on a Win98 system can be accessed in a couple of seconds by anyone with half a brain

64-bit is an absolute necessity if you have over 4 GB of RAM, which I hope any new computer would. With only 1 or 2 GB (or less), 64 bit is not required, and to get better performance and driver/software compatibility, you're better sticking with 32-bit.