Mods not appearing in VCMM

Jar_Head

All rightee then. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. Here is what works for me, with VCMs that I have made:

I extract the VCM file to the folder "...\vcmm\mods\vcm\". I run VCMM, the mod is listed, I click on it once to select it, the 'Install' button becomes active, and then I click 'Install'.

Looking at your screen shot, it appears that you are browsing to the folder "mods". Try going one folder further to "vcm". That should work for you. If it does not work, MAYBE the VCMM has to be installed in your Vice City game directory, but I really do not think that it matters. If I remember correctly, you have it installed in the default setup location, which should be okay. (I installed VCMM where I felt like putting it.)

The only other thing that I can think of is if you have to be logged on to Windows as an administrator. For the heck of it, and so I could pay closer attention to what's what, I associated vcm files with VCMM with "Windows - Tools - Folder Options - File Types".

If none of these suggestions work for you then I am stumped.

Yes the problem I am having is that the mod I am trying to use is not listed. It is nowhere to be found in the program. I've gone to the vcm folder and It's still not working for me, and I'm pretty sure I have VCMM in the Vice City directory but I'll reinstall it again just to see if I get anything. Thanks for trying to help me. In the mean time I am really fucking bummed about this...

Update: Reinstalled just now. I already had it in the directory before so It's still not working.

Edited by Jar_Head

Okay, I thought of one other possibility. You said "the mod that I am trying to use is not listed". Are you trying to install just one VCMM mod? The same one every time? Try your luck with a couple of different VCMM mods. Perhaps the VCM of the one that you wish to install was not scripted/compiled correctly. VCMM authors have to have a basic knowledge of scripting for the mods to work properly so perhaps the problem has something to do with that.

Vehicle mods by different authors, right?  Crap... I was really banking on that last idea.  Well, these next ideas may be reaching a bit, but is your operating system set to hide unknown file types?  If it is, perhaps that is why they do not show up.  Or maybe if you have an anti-virus/ anti-malware program running it is trying to "protect" your system from something that it regards as suspicious.  Maybe turning it off temporarily could work.

If I think of any other possibilities I will post them here. If you have not done so already, try looking through the Mod Installation Help threads in the forums. I have seen threads around the web of other VCMM users who were having problems, but I never bothered to read them because I have not had any troubles with it.

It's not my firewall, I've tried that. I am not sure about my computer hiding unknown file types but I just think the program does not work. One thing I should of mentioned is that I am not running the game on a disc, I am running it through Steam since I bought it through there. Would that mess it up somehow?

Edited by Jar_Head

My logic would say no, because VCMM runs separately from Vice City. It should still at least show a list of the VCMs that are available to install, regardless of where your version of Vice City came from. Try downloading a different copy of VCMM maybe? I do not know how many versions are floating around these days, but mine says version 1.0.

Wait, I just had a thought. You open the downloaded archive with WinRar, then browse in the extraction path to the folder "vcm" and extract the files, right? WinRar MAY be preserving the authors folder structure from the archive and VCMM can not find the VCM file. In other words, extract the archive to a folder then try manually dumping the VCM file in the "vcm" folder instead of letting WinRar extract everything. Then you know for sure that it in the right location and that WinRar has not added extra folders. You never know, it can happen sometimes with archivers.

I am really hopeful about this possibility.

Edited by Masked Marauder