So guys. Announced last night was the "Playstation Next Generation Portable (NGP)". That's just the codename but that's what everyone's calling it for now.
It was announced at PlayStation Meeting 2011 last night and PS Blog says that it's coming out in late 2011 (holiday season).
There's a hell load of information released about the PlayStation NGP so I tried to include as much as possible.
Yes, there are finally dual analog sticks.
Key Features (from PS Blog):
- Multi-touch 5-inch organic light emitting display (OLED) as the front display
- Multi-touch pad on the rear of the device
- Dual analog sticks
- Two cameras (front and rear)
- Software titles on small, dedicated flash memory-based cards
- Three motion sensors, gyroscope, accelerometer and electronic compass
- Wi-Fi and 3G network connectivity
- PlayStation Network access, including ““LiveArea™”, “Near” and “Activity” log features Trophy Support
- NGP will be able to play PSP titles, minis, PS one classics, video and comics from the PlayStation Store.
And there's also a list of it's tech specs here.
As for the games being developed for the NGP, they mentioned:
- Uncharted (There's also a video demo of Uncharted being played on the NGP here.)
- Call of Duty
- Little Deviants
- Hot Shots Golf
- Reality Fighters
- Gravity Daze
- Smart As
- Hustle Kings
There's more. Rockstar Games is also developing a game for the NGP, as mentioned in this list (PDF). A new GTA game perhaps?
So do you think? I think that the 'video demo of the guy rubbing the back of the NGP to climb a rope in Uncharted' makes the back touch panel on the NGP quite redundant. It just makes the thing more expensive than it already is.
It's already got a 4-core CPU, 2 cameras, an LED touchscreen, gyroscopes/motion sensors, electronic compasses, and a GPS. Sounds quite like there's trying to get every single feature out there on this device. Super-expensive anyone?
Edited by NotYouHaha, 27 January 2011 - 05:13 PM.