• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Chris

Chris

Limbal Rings

• Administrators
  • 10,941 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:46 PM

Guys. Please educate me. This game looks fucking awesome but I don't know ANYTHING about it, or indeed the series. Never played any of the games. So you must tell me things.
  • Probably the closest kind of game I've played to this is Fallout 3, which I did like but admittedly didn't play all that much, I didn't finish it because I chose to play other games I had at the time. So is this similar? Completely different?
  • If I get this game, will it matter that I've never played any of the previous games in the series? Is it like a direct sequel or a brand new game? Basically will I have a clue wtf is going on?
  • Console or PC? Not bragging here but I have a decent PC, a 360 and a PS3 so I could get it for any of those. I presume PC would be best? I played Fallout 3 both on console and on PC.
I've got a metric shit ton of other games to keep me occupied right now, but I couldn't help notice the awesomeness of this one, so I'm definitely considering getting it.

#22 Nate10

Nate10

Underboss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,937 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:54 PM

Got my copy of Skyrim 3 minutes after midnight. Was somewhere around the 100th or so person in line with 6 other of my friends waiting to get the stamp on our receipts. Once you get your stamp, you go in the next line which is the wait to get your copy once midnight hits. It was about 10 minutes before midnight when all my buds and I got the stamp, and we instantly just cut to the front of the next line. Was literally one of the first 10 -15 persons to attain a copy of the game in the mall. Was just an overall great feeling and experience(never have been to a midnight release before).

So Chris, so you don't worry as much - I've never played any of the rest of the series. Scratch that, I've never owned or rented one of them. I have played Oblivion for like 10 minutes at a friend's house and that's it. I'm not well acquainted with RPG styled games either(I only started immersing myself in them this year with Fallout 3 and Dragon Age: Origins, fallout not even being close to a perfect example).

Bethesda developed Fallout 3 too so yeah you'll see similarities, but it goes without saying it will be a totally different gaming experience(besides visually - playing Skyrim is giving me the same euphoric effect running around enjoying the scenery like Fallout 3 did).

As far as the story goes, you're fine with no previous game storyline's - you'll enjoy the game regardless. It's set(I want to say)200 years after the story of Oblivion and is not a direct sequel - game history is relevant but it's a completely new game. Knowledge of gameplay in predecessor's of Skyrim would come in hand just to have general experience, but Skyrim's take on races/abilities/combat/leveling are different(and so goddamn amazing).

As far as pc vs console goes - if you enjoy the feel of a pc more and can handle Skyrim then I say go for it. Mods for Elder Scrolls are a big part of the game when it comes to the pc community and you can potentially run the game a lot better frame rate/draw distance/graphics wise.

This game has so much damn hours of playtime it's not even funny. I was aware it would be over 300+ hours of gameplay, but now Todd Howard has confirmed infinite quests. http://www.inenterta...limited-quests/ Get the game Chris. :)

#23 Ivan

Ivan

Too far to get home.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:15 AM

Been playing this all day, loving it so far, improves on Oblivion in so many ways. Still, there's so many things to do it's almost overwhelming.

Having played Oblivion and Morrowind before I can tell you that knowing certain events in the past are sorta important so you can fully understand some references the game makes, but the most important thing is context. I'd say it would be wise to just read a bit about some races and stuff, before playing, but if you don't it's cool anyway, not a major thing at all.

It's similar to fallout yeah ( the engine and quest structure is alike) but it's quite a diferent experience in the end, personally I'm a bigger fan of Fallout.

Nate is right about the mods, PC would really be the best. I've seen some mods for Oblivion that are better than any DLC being put out there by real producers, it's amazing shit.
Posted Image

Thanks to Greensabre.

#24 Chris

Chris

Limbal Rings

• Administrators
  • 10,941 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:25 AM

Back in the day, I remember a couple of RPG liking friends always used to go on about Morrowind. I hated RPG games back then, actually tried RuneScape for a while but soon got bored. Anyway it suddenly occurred to me today that Morrowind was Elder Scrolls III. Was reading some comments on it and Oblivion, seems people thought Morrowind was the better game, but obviously it's a bit aged now. But Skyrim blows both games away, so that's a good sign.

I think I will definitely get it on PC, it can handle it. Not sure if I'll get it right away though, I have a bunch of other games to finish first. I'm quite looking forward to it though, aside from Fallout 3 I've never really played RPG's before so should be a nice change.

Thanks for the comments!

#25 Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry

Executioner

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • No Flag 

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:04 PM

Not only an improvement on Oblivion but on the previous bethesda efforts (noth Fallouts). And the engine for this game is different to the Fallout series (it's better, plus, did anyone notice how the cinematic execution cam was unnecessary in the Fallout series but TOTALLY awesome in Skyrim?)

The game is nothing short of amazing. Everything is exciting, the landscapes, the cities, the characters you meet, the factions. It is also harder now imo, each battle is a lot more "epic", be it fighting a bear or a dragon.

Chris. you should definetly get this game when you don't have a lot more to play, as this game is something you "invest into"

All that aside, what sort of characters are you guys playing? Also what factions are you doing?

I'm a nord. I mostly use two swords in combat, although I also use magic, mainly destruction spells, I also use sneak if I'm in a dungeon/building type situation. I am a werewolf too, which is pretty awesome, if you find yourself in battle against various enemies, you just turn and completely destroy any opposing foe. I also get around to do a bit of smithing, why pay for armour and weapons when you can make them yourself?

I did like, half of the main quest (SPOILER ALERT, highlight if you wanna read: I met up with the Greybeards, learn what they could teach me and I slayed the dragon in Kyne, stopped there) and now I'm doing factions. Took on the College of Winterhold (to develop magic) and the Companions (where I use nor magic nor stealth, only swords and the occasional werewolf rampage). Joined the Dark Brotherhood as well though I'm still at incredibly early stages.

I haven't yet took a side on the civil war, but I'm inclining towards the Stormcloaks, even if I don't really like Ulfric and his "racist" ideas

Sooo, there you have it, a light armored, stealth/mage/warrior nord.

What about you folks?

#26 Ivan

Ivan

Too far to get home.

• Members
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:58 PM

Fooling around with my stormcloak Nord, done a lot of sidequests but I haven't even been to all the major cities, it's incredible how big this game is. I've been using 2 swords/ archer and the combat is quite satisfying.
As far as skills are concerned, I'm really great at speech and lockpick, two skills that have been really useful so far.
I use light armor most of the time but I have found some orcish armor and it's awesome, so I may be changing to heavy.

I only did the first Dark Brotherhood quest and 3 or 4 from the companions, but I've helped Ulfric quite a bit in the civil war quests.
Posted Image

Thanks to Greensabre.

#27 TM™

TM™

Need new model for avatar :P

• Elite Members
  • 6,334 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:40 PM

I've been playing a Male Nord. Powerful looking type that doesn't want to be fucked with. I've been doing some Thieves Guild quests, and I'm enjoying them. The gear they give you looks pretty epic. The hood in particular. I've also been to the college of Winterhold. Not much of a magic user, but I found their quests to be pretty good. Then I finished the companion quests line and enjoyed it.

Since I'm a Nord and I care for Skyrim (That's my kind of character atm) I joined the Stormcloak and their rebellion against the empire. So far I've got to Solitude and defeated the General. All that's left for me is to finish off Aludin the dragon, and then I'm done. Will have to brush off other quests when I get the time.
Posted Image
TM™ - Elite.

#28 TUN3R

TUN3R

Executioner

• Members
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:18 PM

Tried it out eventually... half my Steam ''friends'' kept shouting ''OMG U GOTS 2 TRIES SKIRIM IT'S THE BEST GAEM EVAR''. So I did. It's the same buggy ass piece of shit as Fallout 3 and New Vegas if not worse.

Decided to delete it before I got to the BSOD part and have to re-format my PC... f*ck you Bethesda .i.('_') .i.

#29 Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry

Executioner

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • No Flag 

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

Do you actually like any game?

I do agree with you a bit. The game is awesome and all, but some of the bugs/ lagging I've seen on some videos are insane. How have they not got someone to fix that shit?

#30 Ivan

Ivan

Too far to get home.

• Members
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:24 PM

You're lucky. Try playing the PS3 version, the lag is completely game breaking.
Posted Image

Thanks to Greensabre.

#31 Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry

Executioner

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • No Flag 

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:35 PM

How does that still happen? I mean, Bethesda games are known for being laggy, how the fuck have they not perfected this flaw is beyond me.

I only had one nasty lag with it s ofar.

#32 Nate10

Nate10

Underboss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,937 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:58 AM

The last 4 posts perplex me. I haven't run into any bugs outside of getting flown into the air from giants(and why would I complain about that). No frame rate issues, nothing. Game runs like a beauty for me.

#33 MrLlamaLlama

MrLlamaLlama

Graphic Designer.

• Super Mods
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:04 PM

I used to get lag in Skyrim, then I took an arrow to the knee.

OT: I'm really happy with the game, yeah there are some things which are becomign an issue. Ice and snow look a bit like balls and there's obviously some bugs. I think it's really well put together though and have played a hell of a lot so far. Just waiting for Beth to patch the patch which stops my armour being useful and makes shit fly backwards and I'll be back on it.

For anyone interested I'm playing a dual blades - sword assassin with the nightingale armour. Sneak skill is 99 so bitches dun know bout my presence. Also played with some mods, like the child killing one (they're irritating as fuck, k?), some fletching ones so I can make decent arrows and another which gives the option for unenchanted versions of the nice armours so you can choose your own. Next move is enchanting skill, probably followed by speech so I can rake in the cash.

Posted Image

CoolerMaster HAFX Tower Case | XFX 850w Black Edition PSU | Asus CrossHair IV Formula Motherboard | AMD Phenom II x6 3.4 @ 3.7 Ghz + ThermalTake Frio HS/F | 8Gb Corsair Dominator GT | Nvidia/EVGA GTX470 1280Mb | 64GB Crucial RealSSD (os) | 2x 1TbSamsung Spinpoint F1

Need a quick GTA Fact Fix? - Grand Theft Wiki it!

#34 TUN3R

TUN3R

Executioner

• Members
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:31 PM

Do you actually like any game?

I do agree with you a bit. The game is awesome and all, but some of the bugs/ lagging I've seen on some videos are insane. How have they not got someone to fix that shit?

1st question: Yes, but only good ones.
2nd question: Bethesda.

The last 4 posts perplex me. I haven't run into any bugs outside of getting flown into the air from giants(and why would I complain about that). No frame rate issues, nothing. Game runs like a beauty for me.

Try playing with your eyes open.

#35 Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry

Executioner

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • No Flag 

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:56 PM

Well yeah beside the lags everything else is beautiful.

I really get "lost" inside it.

#36 EvoLuTioN

EvoLuTioN

Call me Evo ...

• Members
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:49 PM

Playing a One handed Warrior-Mage-Nord(Level 25).

My first character as usual is all over the place cause I can't decide how I want to play. Completed the companions quest line, cleared out a bunch of dungeons and forts and been doing some jobs for the thieves guild and DB(Haven't done any of their main quest other than the ones to join the group)

Its amazing how much time and emotion you can invest in the world and characters, (DB Spoiler)
Spoiler

Oh and Markath is a shithole of a place, Almost everyone is scum.

tl;dr: Don't join the Dark Brotherhood early in the game, Companions are cool enough for the start guild.

Btw Imperials or Storm Cloaks and why?

Edited by EvoLuTioN, 07 December 2011 - 07:56 PM.

Reality - An illusion caused by Alcohol Deficiency

Posted Image
xfire|Steam ID : evolutionevoz

#37 Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry

Executioner

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • No Flag 

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:02 PM

Stormcloaks. I hate the fucking Thalmor.

#38 EvoLuTioN

EvoLuTioN

Call me Evo ...

• Members
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:15 PM

Just went through the earlier posts in this thread (Skipped them trying to avoid spoilers), If its not too much of a hassle could you guys mention which faction/Quest line the spoiler is related to and use the hide tags or do what DH did in his post .. would be much appreciated.

So everyone here is a stormcloak Nord then?

@DH: I'm little partial towards the Stormcloaks for similar reasons. Atm yea its Racism Vs. Thalmor Scum.. not sure which one is a bigger deal breaker for me.
I'm gonna explore a bit more before making a decision, Don't want to lock out quests by picking a side too early.

@TM: +1 for the Thieves guild armor being awesome, I used to be a heavy armor guy, then I took an arrow to the knee Now I'm all about the sneaking and Lock picking. The Dark Brotherhood armor on the other hand doesn't suit my character at all, I may give it to Ves when I get her as a companion.

Reality - An illusion caused by Alcohol Deficiency

Posted Image
xfire|Steam ID : evolutionevoz

#39 Ivan

Ivan

Too far to get home.

• Members
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:03 PM

I guess I'm the only one to really dislike the game then, uh? Stopped playing after 35 hours, it wasn't just the bugs. Everything just seemed so boring to me.
Posted Image

Thanks to Greensabre.

#40 Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry

Executioner

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • No Flag 

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:19 PM

You and Tuner bro.

ANd yeah Evo, definetly roam around before making any decision, i completed a couple of factions before I went through with the Stormcloaks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users