Brakes in car applies on it's own?

awkook

Hey guys, my friend and both did a fresh install of GTA SA. We customized our controls the exact same. Whenever I go to drive a car and let go of accelerate, my brakes just slightly get applied and I cant coast at all. My friend on the other hand, whenever he lets go of accelerate, he just coasts. I can tell my brakes get applied because I slow too way to quick. Anyone else have this? Anyone know why?

• 3 months later...

Are you using a joystick controller or a keyboard and mouse? If a joystick, perhaps toggling the analog button on or off will make a difference.

I'll try that. Although i've always used a controller so I dont know what's up.

It wouldn't have anything to do with some mods that may have been installed or a handleing thing?

Edited by hot pockets

Mods? Perhaps, if they alter or swap the "handling.cfg" (or whatever the file is called for SA). USUALLY if I notice anything wrong with the controls it is because I accidentally bumped that little analog button on or off.

I dont have an analog button on my controller. Im using a Logitech Rumblepad 2

Would you be able to upload your handling.cfg if you have one?

Edited by hot pockets

Yup, that is the same controller that I have (mine is cordless). It is that little button with the red light right above the left stick. It is hard to read but it says "MODE" on mine. If yours is not cordless then it might be above but centered between the two sticks. It seems to work best with the red light toggled off. I do not have SA installed right now, so I can not send you a handling.cfg. If toggling the analog button does not solve your problem, then perhaps someone else can send it to you.

Yup, that is the same controller that I have (mine is cordless). It is that little button with the red light right above the left stick. It is hard to read but it says "MODE" on mine. If yours is not cordless then it might be above but centered between the two sticks. It seems to work best with the red light toggled off. I do not have SA installed right now, so I can not send you a handling.cfg. If toggling the analog button does not solve your problem, then perhaps someone else can send it to you.

I got the original file and it didnt help. Neither did toggling the Mode help. It has to do something with the game

Okay, that would have been too easy of a fix of course. If I remember correctly, SA like VC and III has a frames per second limiter in the video options. If you turned it off turn it back on. Strange things happen if the FPS limiter is off, even with high end machines. If that is not it then try switching any of the advanced video options that you may have adjusted back to the game default settings, like anti-aliasing or screen resolution. If that STILL does not fix it, then see if your system has DirectX version 9.0c installed. If not, try upgrading. Also check that your video drivers are the correct ones for your graphics card and are up to date.

Are you sure you know what the problem is here? When I let go the the gas, I can hear the car brake and it comes to a pretty much immediate stop after like 3 seconds of letting go. That does not happen normally. I don't see how effecting game options as you mentioned can change that.

Edit: Dear god, i'm sorry I have doubted you. The frame limiter was causing that to happen. It's fixed with frame limiter on. But now, the frame rate is shit and it feels all choppy. I guess I have to choose between the 2?

Edited by awkook

Since I do not know your system specs, you will have to decide for yourself if your hardware is up to snuff. If you changed the FPS limiter setting then I am going to guess that you adjusted other video settings as well. If this was my situation, I would restore the game default video settings and cycle through them one or two at a time when adjusting them. That way you know what helps and what to not mess with and you can switch them back easily. Also, my machine has an nVidia control panel that allows for customizing video settings for individual games. If you have something similar that you have changed settings with then try restoring that to the default settings as well. Sometimes advanced options are best left alone.

Since I do not know your system specs, you will have to decide for yourself if your hardware is up to snuff. If you changed the FPS limiter setting then I am going to guess that you adjusted other video settings as well. If this was my situation, I would restore the game default video settings and cycle through them one or two at a time when adjusting them. That way you know what helps and what to not mess with and you can switch them back easily. Also, my machine has an nVidia control panel that allows for customizing video settings for individual games. If you have something similar that you have changed settings with then try restoring that to the default settings as well. Sometimes advanced options are best left alone.

Well, you cannot change the 25 FPS limit Rockstar put on the Frame Limiter. I can run the game at full view distance, very high fx, AA x3, frame limiter off, and 1440x900 32 with 100+ fps. All I was saying is, Frame Limiter ON fixes the problem. So now, I have to choose between frame rate and brake problem. Or is there a way to fix the brake problem whilst still having a high frame rate?

Now that you mention it, I have seen FPS mods out there, somewhere. I am fairly certain that I saw one for SA. How they work, IF they work, I do not know either - because I have never used one, which is also why I can not remember where I had seen them. Do some searching and you should be able to find some. That is all of the help that I have for you.