Photo
- - - - -

Rebuild TGTAP

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: Let's fix TGTAP (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of these options do you think would help rebuild TGTAP?

1. A new design (8 votes [7.27%])

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

2. A reorganisation / restructure of the forum (11 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. New and more active staff (23 votes [20.91%])

Percentage of vote: 20.91%

4. Merging with Grand Theft Wiki (12 votes [10.91%])

Percentage of vote: 10.91%

5. Competitions & promotions (15 votes [13.64%])

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

6. Extra site features and new types of content (22 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

7. Focus on the gang system again (19 votes [17.27%])

Percentage of vote: 17.27%

How active have you been with TGTAP?

1. I am new (2 votes [6.06%])

Percentage of vote: 6.06%

2. I have been here a while, but I don't get involved in the community (3 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

3. I post on the forums, but don't feel part of the community (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. I feel like part of the community (10 votes [30.30%])

Percentage of vote: 30.30%

5. I used to feel like part of the community, but not anymore (13 votes [39.39%])

Percentage of vote: 39.39%

6. I have been here from the start, and I'm not giving up yet (5 votes [15.15%])

Percentage of vote: 15.15%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Gerard

Gerard

Underboss

• Administrators
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:06 PM

one thing that could help is to get staff members that are respectful. i stopped regularly posting here a couple years ago cuz most of the staff are, sorry to say, assholes in situations where its really unnecessary. and it makes me really uncomfortable that i cant post my thoughts without them attacking me...just an idea

If there are any specific you wish to discuss, let me know, and I'll make sure this is no longer an issue.

Obviously if the staff are misbehaving or being rude, then we can't expect much from other members. I've always maintained that staff should lead by example.

I... came across a couple posts by a certain mod that were directed at another poster, their posts were pretty disrespectful, and not a very welcoming sight seeing that there is a mod insulting a someone. It just doesn't look good seeing forum officials acting that way.

This is why we're changing staff slightly. Moderators are the moderation experts, who keep the forum running smoothly. They are polite and skilled. In the past, staff have been picked because they're cool, popular, helpful or knowledgeable. Now, those people have their own roles (as Gurus, Elites/Veterans, Forum Bosses etc) and are not moderators.

I prefer a dark color for the backgrounds of our posts. It's easier on the eyes.

We could make multiple skins, but it's a lot of work to make them all work the same through every change we go through. Chris (founder/owner) is the only one who does this sort of thing here, and he doesn't have much time for it. So we'll probably stick with 2 skins max (fixed-width and 100%-width).

I also voted for bringing back forum gangs. I've never experienced that here, so I'm not sure what I missed, but it sounds interesting.

The GORM is what this forum originally was, but the system was never fully functional and relied on unfinished third-party scripts. Instead, gangs became just social groups you could join. There were attempts to turn these into GTA multiplayer clans, but it never worked properly, and we didn't have the expertise/time to write good scripts and link it all into the forums.

Like I said above, we're trying to make this a good forum first and foremost rather than something it's not.

It's been a while since a new GTA was released, so inactivity for a GTA forum is gonna be a factor til a new game is announced.

That's pretty much the problem, but we're hoping to start ramping up the forums in anticipation of GTA 5, rather than waiting until it comes out! That was a mistake Chris made with GTA IV, where we were so far behind and he didn't bother doing anything on this forum until it was too late.

Well, I'm a newb compared to you vets of the site. One of my first impressions of TGTAP was that is more active than other sites that I have bounced around in, yet a mere shadow of days gone by.

This used to be a really good community, with lots of different people all having fun. Then the original 'vets' grew older, and really disliked the new, younger members who just wanted to play silly forum games all the time. This meant the vets all left (including a lot of staff), and without the leadership of the vets/staff, the forum went to ruin. We need to bring back that social community.

The forums are important, of course, but try to bring more attention to the modding aspect of GTA. Mods could be the most abundant supply of "what's new" to draw from in order to keep interest alive in these older GTAs while we wait for V. Mods could also inspire more discussion in the forums as well.

Incorporate your reward and/or competition possibilities with it as well if you believe that it could help. And/or a "what's new", "what's hot", "mod of the week, month, year" feature as well; or whatever else comes to mind. Posted feedback/comments directly on individual mod pages for window shoppers to read and add to would definitely be a plus; if your server is capable.

I agree entirely, this is exactly what we need. Mods are so vital to this community, and something like 90% of TGTAP's traffic is for the downloads section alone. We are looking at ways to integrate modding with the forum a lot more, but it's finding the time for Chris to make this work.

This is the thing on this forum, it needs more people that are willing to post news and attract modders so they post their creations in here and keep people updated about modding and GTA evolution.

This can't be solved with a news poster, but I think giving modders and mod users something to work for, things to do, things to discuss, would definitely help.

Grand Theft Wiki Manager

And not a single fuck was given that day.

#42 Masked Marauder

Masked Marauder

Fairweather Fiend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:26 PM

I had forgotten to check up on this thread. Credible suggestions and feedback have certainly been offered and they seem to be gladly received by Gerard, Chris, and whoever else they may be directed to. Some ideas have been implemented (or partially so) already so cheers to the staff for that. My mindset now is to patiently wait for further incorporation of these ideas into the site while keeping the perspective that there is much more involved than just flicking a switch or making a few mouse clicks to make things happen. Plus the Chris time allotment factor. So far so good TGTAP.

#43 MrLanceVanceDance

MrLanceVanceDance

Consigliere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Australia 

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:15 AM

It's obvious that TGTAP is a mere shadow of its former self.

Back in April 2008, we were getting 13,000 posts per month. Even in August 2009 we were getting over 3000. But in November 2010, there were just 168 posts on this entire forum.

However, new user registrations are still high - 600 in November 2010, with every month varying between 400 and 800.

Hey Gerard, if you are still here, can you please provide the posts and new user registration figures for this month please? Thanks.

#44 Gerard

Gerard

Underboss

• Administrators
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

I prefer not to give out too many specific stats like this.

January got more registrations than usual - double what we've had in previous months. In fact, the past 2 weeks saw more registrations than any previous week ever.

New registrations aren't hugely important (a fair chunk will no doubt be spam bots), but interaction in the form of posts/topics is more relevant to us. There, the forums aren't doing great.

Grand Theft Wiki Manager

#45 Chris

Chris

Limbal Rings

• Administrators
  • 10,941 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:47 PM

Can I ask why you want to see stats like that Mr? Is there some big forum comparison going on or something? :P

#46 MrLanceVanceDance

MrLanceVanceDance

Consigliere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Australia 

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:42 AM

I just want to see if the situation has improved or not. I like this forum, and I wish for it to be successful and popular. Also, the forum, no offence, seems really dead at the moment. Only about 12 users max are actually active these days, inculding the three of us.

Edited by MrLanceVanceDance, 01 February 2012 - 01:44 AM.

#47 Mike356

Mike356

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

the way to improve it is to keep people intersted just making posts in every topic wont do it you gotta get something to wanna keep them coming back and posting thats what made the gangs good is people could talk about stuff they wouldent say in the regular forums
Posted Image

#48 MrLanceVanceDance

MrLanceVanceDance

Consigliere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Australia 

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:36 AM

Mike, we have the General Discussion and the Entertainment And Lifestyle forums. In those two forums, you can talk about stuff you couldn't say in the regular forums.

#49 Gerard

Gerard

Underboss

• Administrators
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:23 AM

Mike, we have the General Discussion and the Entertainment And Lifestyle forums. In those two forums, you can talk about stuff you couldn't say in the regular forums.

That's not really fair for you to say when you've not been part of a gang.

Each gang was a small group of friends - or even a family. Their private forums were for private discussions, not the sort of thing that they would post in General Discussion for anyone to see and for n00bs to reply to.

If you look at the quality of many of the posts in GD or the other general subforums, you'll know why people prefer to interact with their friends, not the random crappy people that clog up the internet.

Grand Theft Wiki Manager

#50 MrLanceVanceDance

MrLanceVanceDance

Consigliere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Australia 

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:43 AM

Look Gerard, I was just stating that the forums can still be fine without the gangs system. I did not mean to sound bad or unfair. And I was saying that these two forums can still kinda serve as a substitute to the gangs forums, although more crappier than the gang system.

Back to the main topic, I reckon new and more active staff, competitions and promotions and extra site features and new kinds of content can restore TGTAP's popularity. Also, judging by what everybody is saying about the gang system, it should return to TGTAP.

#51 Mike356

Mike356

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:43 PM

That's not really fair for you to say when you've not been part of a gang.

Each gang was a small group of friends - or even a family. Their private forums were for private discussions, not the sort of thing that they would post in General Discussion for anyone to see and for n00bs to reply to.

If you look at the quality of many of the posts in GD or the other general subforums, you'll know why people prefer to interact with their friends, not the random crappy people that clog up the internet.

it also led to the downfall of the forums as well since thats all we ever posted in and just ignored every other part of the forum
Posted Image

#52 MrLanceVanceDance

MrLanceVanceDance

Consigliere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Australia 

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:59 PM

So, how can we get people on TGTAPF to actually focus on the GTA Forums and not the General Discussion, Entertainment And Lifestyle, and gang aspects of the forum? (That is, if the gang system is revived in the future).

#53 amazingdude

amazingdude

Executioner

• Members
  • 1,130 posts
  • No Flag 

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:40 AM

Gang system were actually cool but it also made everyone spam posts just to join the gangs by reaching the required number of posts to enter a gang which was decided by the Don.

I think its good that the gangs are now been archived.

Moving on to the site, although the site has been what you call as "dead". Almost all the past staffs and members were active during the GTA V's trailer so expect them to come back when the game will be released.

#54 MrLanceVanceDance

MrLanceVanceDance

Consigliere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Australia 

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:11 AM

But the question is, how can we get users to use these forums prior to the release of GTA V? Including you and me, only about 12 users are actually still active on these forums these days.

Edited by MrLanceVanceDance, 05 February 2012 - 07:11 AM.

#55 mascotefera

mascotefera

Nobody Special

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Brazil 

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:15 AM

I AM new that canhelp are Mods Other

In GTA IV I createMaps Other Mods
whohave a projectyou can call me Send me a pm =[Sorry my english bad
I have Nothing to do I'm thinking about quitting GTA

My Maps

Link My chanel Youtube view my Maps

Edited by mascotefera, 01 March 2012 - 03:20 AM.

#56 MrLanceVanceDance

MrLanceVanceDance

Consigliere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Australia 

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:08 AM

Hey buddy, that post should be made in the Modding Forums, not here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users